KHL! KHL! KHL!

JLP

KHL!!!

(in esperanto, Canada is spelt "Kanada")

I guess this has been discussed elsewhere, but why are we so set on forcing hockey on the 'Mercans, in places where it never snows, so they can soundtrack it with thundering rock music, paste ads all over the boards and ritualize (in about the cheesiest way imaginable) the 'fights' with a follow spot?

Anyone remember old-style hockey? -- we could have it again if we just kept it north of the border.

There are six, hell, let's get Winnipeg and Quebec back on board, EIGHT Canadian cities that could support very decent teams with solid fan bases and pay players as much or more than most Euro leagues.

So why doesn't someone step up and create the Kanadian Hockey League! I nominate Don Cherry to take up the task, he is one of the top ten greatest Canadians of all time, right?

KHL!!! Montreal could play Toronto like every Saturday night!

Soon Boston, Detroit, NYC, Philly and Chicago and a coupla others could set up their own UHL, and the champs of the two leagues could playoff, or why not also have regional eliminations with the European and Scandinavian leagues and invite those two champs over for a four-way playoff?

The lockout sucks but if something like this came out of it i would be happy, because I never much liked the idea of hockey in Florida (except for vacationing Quebecers).

KHL!!!

[Edited on 31-1-05 by JeanLucPilon]

I came into this thread expecting it to be about the Canadian Hockey League (junior league) , I am disappointed ;)

I understand what you mean though, a Canadian professional hockey league, they'd just need a different name, since "CHL" is taken.

Oh yeah, speaking of the CHL today Sidney Crosby got another 4 points, including a hattrick in the 2nd period alone! He has 44 goals in 44 games, and 109 points in 44 games. He keeps raising his level of play, its amazing.

Originally posted by puck7x

I came into this thread expecting it to be about the Canadian Hockey League (junior league) , I am disappointed ;)

Oops, I'll brainstorm then edit, gimmie a minute or two!

The thing with a KHL (profesionnal canadian Hockey league) is that, like the CFL/NFL, it'll end up beeing a 2nd level league. Even if we manage to pay big salaries to the players, there will always be more money in the USA. And, I don't see the Montreal Canadiens playing elsewhere than in the top league in the world. Anyways, Montreal can't leave the NHL, it's sounds impossible to me.

I was thinkin' that, but with a twist....Do it Euro style. Let any city with a 10k plus arena have a team, and have two leagues, with moving up and down. Even have Toronto and Montreal have two teams. Make a comperable league in the US, offer salary restrictions, and you have a winning formula.