Jacques Martin new Habs head coach

huzer

It's time for the ol' AC to offer up my 2 cents on the hiring of Jacques Martin. I could get technical on this and discuss forechecking styles and defence styles of Martin's brand of hockey but I won't since it's been bandied enough already.

All I can say is I'm very happy. If there is one thing I have learned about hockey is that when I see a coach or player who is on another rival team and that player (from a wanting the Canadiens to win perspective) or coach causes me to say "F__k" then I know he's a guy we would want. Gilmour had this influence on me. I would dread his skill - when I heard we had obtained his services I didn't have to think twice on whether or not I was pleased about it. Chances are if I feared or loathed an opponent I'd love him on my team

Welcome to Montreal Jacques Martin.

true that, always hated playing Martin, Quinn, Maurice and a few others, but not that many.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND THE RANT CONTINUES - PART 2

Also it should be noted that Jacques Martin is a fan of the agressive 2 forecheck attack style which works - just watch the Pens and the Red Wings try to or do it tonight. Martin is very good at allowing his centre to aggressively forecheck while at the same time maintaining a confortable non-risky position to backcheck any transistion attack. He is good at teaching and implementing a style that preaches 2 forecheckers when it is safe. He'll use it albeit conservatively. Sometimes the winger goes to the slot to compensate for the centre being out of position. I am looking forward to this. I can't recall how many times I yelled at the TV last year when Montreal WASN'T doing this. It creates alot of 2 on 1's in the attacking zone down low.

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens/exclu...04-1589881.html

David Marcoux is the new goaltending coach. He was Calgary's goaltending coach for the past 6 years, and is one of the most prominent technical teachers out there. Here's his bio from the Flames website:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...ge&id=17812

And a link to his goaltending schools:

http://www.dmsg.ca/

I've bandied about his name since Melanson got canned as a top candidate, and I definitely endorse this move.

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens/exclu...04-1589881.html

David Marcoux is the new goaltending coach. He was Calgary's goaltending coach for the past 6 years, and is one of the most prominent technical teachers out there. Here's his bio from the Flames website:

http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...ge&id=17812

And a link to his goaltending schools:

http://www.dmsg.ca/

I've bandied about his name since Melanson got canned as a top candidate, and I definitely endorse this move.

You said Price was comparable to Kipper than to Giguere (Allaire's student) so this is fitting.

kiprosoff was extremely inconsistent this year. not impressed with him anymore. that isn't a reflection of the goalie coach. he'll have a full workload with price.noted hockey guru stan fischler stated last year that he thought price was a "stiff" , with a very cocky, arrogant attitude.he had better get his act together next season, cuz the habs nation can be very unforgiving.just ask theodore.guess all the buzz about allaire will shift to toronto.

kiprosoff was extremely inconsistent this year. not impressed with him anymore. that isn't a reflection of the goalie coach. he'll have a full workload with price.noted hockey guru stan fischler stated last year that he thought price was a "stiff" , with a very cocky, arrogant attitude.he had better get his act together next season, cuz the habs nation can be very unforgiving.just ask theodore.guess all the buzz about allaire will shift to toronto.

Stan Fishler= guru= :?- == :puke:

Stan Fishler=putz= :)

Fischler is the hockey guru that claimed that Denis Potvin was better than Bobby Orr.

stan fishler is a "guru" and eklund don't make shit up.

and elvis is working at 7-11 :lol: and .... and.. you get the point

Fischler is the hockey guru that claimed that Denis Potvin was better than Bobby Orr.

Well, while Bobby was a brilliant player, different times, different modes of play. I'd take Potvin over Orr every day of the week. Of course, you actually had to be in shape when Potvin played and teams could string together more than three consecutive passes. Plus, everyone once in a while there was HITTING, where as in Orr's time, everyone let him be.

Well, while Bobby was a brilliant player, different times, different modes of play. I'd take Potvin over Orr every day of the week. Of course, you actually had to be in shape when Potvin played and teams could string together more than three consecutive passes. Plus, everyone once in a while there was HITTING, where as in Orr's time, everyone let him be.

You are welcome to your opinion, but there is NO WAY I would take Potvin over Orr.

Nobody set there whole gameplan on how to stop Denis Potvin.

One is a Hall of Famer, one is arguably the greatest player of all-time

I don't really think anyone can argue that Orr is the greatest player of all time. Come on now.

Sure they can, it's been done many times before. Heck, THN ranked him a close 2nd behind Gretzky when they came out with their top 100 of all time about 10 years ago. Orr revolutionized the way defensemen play.

Sure they can, it's been done many times before. Heck, THN ranked him a close 2nd behind Gretzky when they came out with their top 100 of all time about 10 years ago. Orr revolutionized the way defensemen play.

He's still a lock for the top 3... or 5 at most. Is Denis Potvin a lock for the top 50?

Gotta be kidding with this. Only people who didn't see any trace of him would say Orr not be considered in the top whatever. Like us saying Howie Morenz was this or that.

Orr made people watch hockey.

And I hate the scum more than anyone on here!

I don't really think anyone can argue that Orr is the greatest player of all time. Come on now.

i would argue with that, he is one of the greatest of all time but not THE greatest. Personally i think there 3 or 4 guys ahead of him. Gretzky, Gordie Howe to name just 2

i would argue with that, he is one of the greatest of all time but not THE greatest. Personally i think there 3 or 4 guys ahead of him. Gretzky, Gordie Howe to name just 2

Mike Ribeiro too.

:lol:

/topic hijack

WHO ARE THE TOP 5 COACHES IN THE NHL RIGHT NOW and where do you rank Jacques Martin (top 5,10,15??)

by name / reputation as well as by actual results (taken with perspective... e.g. Babcock is not the greatest coach... Detroit is the greatest team)

Arguably the greatest player of all-time.

I can make just as strong an argument for him as I could Gretzky, Howe or Lemieux.

You cannot prove without a shadow of a doubt he is the best. Hence the term arguably

Edited by Wamsley01

WHO ARE THE TOP 5 COACHES IN THE NHL RIGHT NOW and where do you rank Jacques Martin (top 5,10,15??)

by name / reputation as well as by actual results (taken with perspective... e.g. Babcock is not the greatest coach... Detroit is the greatest team)

I think Babcock actually IS the best coach in the NHL. But I'm biased, he's a Saskatoon boy. I thought he did an excellent job in Anaheim, he helped elevate Datsyuk and Zetterberg's games (not to forget Franzen and Kronwall), and he manages his bench incredibly well. He also communicates exceptionally well, and is willing to learn new things all the time. Let's not forget that Detroit coming out of the lockout was supposed to have setbacks, they were moving from Yzerman and Shanahan and Chelios as their leadership core to a group led by Lidstrom, but helped out by younger players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg. The Red Wings rebuilt while staying at the top of the NHL, and Babcock is a huge reason why.

He's still a lock for the top 3... or 5 at most. Is Denis Potvin a lock for the top 50?

Hockey News had him at number 19 overall, and I've heard quite a few mention him as one of the top 5 D-men of all time.

List of MY top 10 current NHL Coaches: (Base on experience and term)

Mike Babcock (Detroit Red Wings)

Lindy Ruff (Buffalo Sabres)

Brent Sutter (New Jersey Devils)

Ron Wilson (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Joel Quenneville (Chicago Blackhawks)

Andy Murray (St. Louis Blues)

John Tortorella (New York Rangers)

Pat Quinn (Edmonton Oilers)

Terry Murray (Los Angeles Kings)

Dave Tippet (Dallas Stars)

Jacques Martin (Montreal Canadiens)

Claude Julien (Boston Bruins)

Alain Vigneault (Vancouver Canucks)

Ken Hitchcock (Columbus Blue Jackets)

Paul Maurice (Carolina Hurricanes)

Barry Trotz (Nashville Predators)

John Stevens (Philadelphia Flyers)

Bruce Boudreau (Washinton Capitals)

Randy Carlyle (Anaheim Ducks)

Dan Bylsma (Pittsburgh Penguins)

Todd McLellan (San Jose Sharks)

Peter DeBoer (Florida Panthers)

Cory Clouston (Ottawa Senators)

Rick Tocchet (Tampa Bay Lighting)

Wayne Gretzky (Phoenix Coyotes)

John Anderson (Atlanta Thrashers)

Scott Gordon (New York Islanders)

(This is a quick list, feel free to criticize and give your opinion)

And Plante revolutionized the position of a goaltender as much as Orr revolutionized the position of defenseman. What's your point? Obviously I'm a Habs fan but that's a fact.

He would fall in my top ten for sure, but best of all time? I'm sorry, but how is that not Gretzky hands-down?

Edited by ForumGhost