Heatley Asks for Trade

ForumGhost

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how many physical, defensively skilled multi-time 50 goal scorers can you name?

Iginla & Ovechkin are the only who comes to mind. 

But you missed mypoint. At 7.5M$, I expect a complete (2-way) player who can set up as well as finish, the Staal, Lecavalier, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Zetterberg types.  

Not to take anything away from Heatley: he's durable, consistent, always did well in the playoffs. But we're talking about 7.5M$ here. It's alot given for a player who's only good in one area, even if it's as critical as goals. Kovalchuk is probably even better than Heatley, but he's in the same specialized mold (as are Gaborik, Vanek, great snipers but not well-rounded) and I wouldnt give 7.5 to any of them either. 

For 7.5, I'd rather sacrifice some goals (and not much either) but get more in all aspects of the game.

I'd take him in an instant. He's a game-breaker. Maybe not quite in the Ovechkin et al mode, but he's close. Stick him in the slot and he'll even convert garbage passes. That's what he does. Plus, he does get stuck in now and again and isn't nearly as soft as many think. Tough to knock off the puck as well. As for defense, does it really matter when you have puck possession or the opposition is fishing it out of ye olde onion bag? (Now *he* is the guy we need for that old-time firewagon hockey.) He's a character guy, a consistent guy, underrated in many aspects of his game (including defense because yes, he did play for Martin) and makes others around him better. IMO, siyanara Kosty sisters, enjoy Ottawa (which Ott could conceivably do since the Sens are in a somewhat rebuilding mode and Heater has forced their hand - tough to trade with your back against the wall, right Houle-trading-Patrick-Roy?).

My two cents: heatley will play with kopitar next season.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Iginla & Ovechkin are the only who comes to mind. 

But you missed mypoint. At 7.5M$, I expect a complete (2-way) player who can set up as well as finish, the Staal, Lecavalier, Getzlaf, Datsyuk, Zetterberg types.  

Not to take anything away from Heatley: he's durable, consistent, always did well in the playoffs. But we're talking about 7.5M$ here. It's alot given for a player who's only good in one area, even if it's as critical as goals. Kovalchuk is probably even better than Heatley, but he's in the same specialized mold (as are Gaborik, Vanek, great snipers but not well-rounded) and I wouldnt give 7.5 to any of them either. 

For 7.5, I'd rather sacrifice some goals (and not much either) but get more in all aspects of the game.

Fair enough, but pickers can't be choosers. I wouldn't want to sit on my money waiting for a chance to land the next Iginla. If we have a chance to land a franchise sniper, I would take it because we may never get another chance.

No Colin, Heatley never played for Martin. Martin's last season with the team was 03-04 and Heatley's first season was 05-06

Really? Thought for sure that was the case. Oh well. Even though I live here, I must say I try to avoid all contact with Senator related information. Except Heater. First guy I've really liked in town.

Really? Thought for sure that was the case. Oh well. Even though I live here, I must say I try to avoid all contact with Senator related information. Except Heater. First guy I've really liked in town.

Don't worry, I'm a Sens fan, I keep up with this stuff. ;)

(and come on, Damian Rhodes was awesome!)

Fair enough, but pickers can't be choosers. I wouldn't want to sit on my money waiting for a chance to land the next Iginla. If we have a chance to land a franchise sniper, I would take it because we may never get another chance.

That's the thing. Sniper, sure. "Franchise" sniper, it's a bit much. Unless Martin can instill in Heatley a more complete game, then I might take that risk. But I dont think it's what the Habs need.

We need a Brind'Amour-type of center, a C that can match against any other C and do good in all 3 zones, and be good on faceoffs, and have character and grit.

So if we're going to go out shopping with the checkbook, the first check we should sign is for the item we need the most. Between sitting on your money and getting it locked up on something that doesnt address your primary need, I'd chose the former. I dont think Heatley would be the type of player who'd really get the team over the edge. We've already have those wingers who play that type of shooting game. Heck, it's all we got. Sure, Heatley is better than all of them, but he wouldnt really bring a new dimension to our offense. He still would only have Tanguay who'd be able to feed him the puck (and we'd have to move one of them on the other wing).

I dont know. After the season we've had, I'm up for some radical changes in game-style and team spirit, and priority number one would be to get a real pillar at center to build around.

TBQH theres not a chance in hell that Heatley is dealt in the division anyway so I don't think you have to do too much worrying Koz.

I'd put my bets on Edmonton or Los Angeles, especially if LA is shopping JJ.

TBQH theres not a chance in hell that Heatley is dealt in the division anyway so I don't think you have to do too much worrying Koz.

I'd put my bets on Edmonton or Los Angeles, especially if LA is shopping JJ.

LA has alot of quality Dmen which Ottawa doesn't. does LA wants his huge contract and his prima dona attitude???

From Brian Burke

"When you have players come ask you for a trade, I tell the players 'don't finish that sentence,' because once you ask, I'm going to move you," Burke stated. "If a player wants out, you're darn right I'm going to move you. I'm not kissing anyone's ass to play in my town, so to hell with you, don't finish the sentence. My second rule is if I hear about this, you're not going anywhere."

:clap:

I dont usually agree with birke's ways but he's on the money with that one!!

I dont think heatley has the kinda caracter team canada needs at the olympics.

For sure, I agree with him too. I've been kinda put off by Heatley over this.

Team has one poor season and he bails on them. Just because he didn't like getting called out by Clouston over some of his defensive work. The Sens looked like they'd be one of the teams that would rebound nicely next season too. Now we've got another opportunity for Murray to f*ck up the team even further.

I've got a sick feeling Heatley is leaving for almost nothing, hope I'm wrong.

First of all, Burkie! SUPERSTAR, that is why I LOVE that guy! Man, he even makes the Leafs palatable! Secondly? All the better for the acquiring team - Heater just made himself ten times tougher to trade because the offers are all going to be lowball. Ottawa is screwed, but the winning team gets a potential 50-goal guy for beans. As much as he's a whiner about this trade business, will we really complain if we get him for Kostitsyn Junior and a 5th round pick?

First of all, Burkie! SUPERSTAR, that is why I LOVE that guy! Man, he even makes the Leafs palatable! Secondly? All the better for the acquiring team - Heater just made himself ten times tougher to trade because the offers are all going to be lowball. Ottawa is screwed, but the winning team gets a potential 50-goal guy for beans. As much as he's a whiner about this trade business, will we really complain if we get him for Kostitsyn Junior and a 5th round pick?

I know it doesn't work like this but if I was murray I'd tell Heatley to F-off and show up at training camp and if he didn't i'd suspend him until he waiver his NMC( which I still dont undertsand why he dind't) and get the best possible offer for him.

I just dont respect that kind of guy.

I still really, really want Bob to make a move for him.

he wants out because he doesn't want to play the defensive style thaclouston wants. you think he'll agree to martin's all cough*offensive strategy ??

As much as he's a whiner about this trade business, will we really complain if we get him for Kostitsyn Junior and a 5th round pick?

He won't be traded for anything close to that. Just because everyone knows he's available, doesn't mean GMs won't be willing to pay up for him. Look at what Edmonton got for Pronger.

He won't be traded for anything close to that. Just because everyone knows he's available, doesn't mean GMs won't be willing to pay up for him. Look at what Edmonton got for Pronger.

Most people didn't think Edmonton got enough.