Habsworld Draft Central

Trizzak

why are so many people happy to draft another smurf forward? 5/11 170 lbs? this is what we need? hell lets just keep saku and pay him a few bucks. This draft is cause what bob wanted was not there in my opinion or lets make the Quebecois happy and draft a local guy that probably won't make it. What happened to BPA. He is not it.

LeBlanc was Gainey's man. He said he was willing to trade up to get him, but the teams ahead of him were targeting other players, so there was no need.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

why are so many people not yet familiar with the concept that 17, 18 yrs old players still have room to grow? Leblanc is 6-0, 180 with room to grow. He'll be around 6-2, 200 by the time he's 21.

And HE WAS THE BPA at 18. Bob McKenzie had him 17th on his list, CSB had him 13th in NA. A right-handed centre with 1st-line talent and grit and you're not happy? Is it because he's local that you dont like him?

so he is going to grow taller after 18? Hmmm I remember when I was 16 I was 5 ft 11 amazing as it may seem I'm still 5 ft 11. He MAY grow or he may not his stats from the ushl say he 5 ft 11 and 170 has he grown since that? I mean it was this year. He may fill in, but UP no I don't think so. I think you are looking at a 5 ft 11 or maybe 6 ft 185 to 195 guy at 21. There is lot's to like about this kid. But I think the rangers got the deal of the day taking chris krieder bigger stronger and more talent. Imho or john moore a big mobile defenceman that's something we could use. This kid may turn out ok but I have a bad feeling that his province of origin influenced the decision because we still suffer from wickenheiser syndrome. I am a canadian of french descent who's family tree can be traced back over 300 years. so no I don't hold it against him that he is from Quebec, I just want the BPA. I don't think that is what we got. Hey I hope that I am dead wrong and in 4 years when he makes the team he is a star.

I am disappointed that there wasn't a trade!

The buildup all week long, Bob's comments about making deep changes, telling our UFAs to wait until after the draft, the speculations. It sure sounded like in the TSN interview that Bob doesn't like the cost of getting the "big, strong #1 centre".

Same old same old. Bob has said this same stuff for years...

So what does Bob do now? He said we may have to wait until September or even October. Does he tell our UFAs to wait until then? Sounds like we are either stuck with the same old team or a REALLY young team.

I'm happy with the pick though!

I was 6'2" at 16. Now I'm 6'5". Could happen to him as well.

If we were hell-bent on drafting Quebec players, wouldn't we have taken Esposito? Or any Quebec player last year?

We are so super-loaded with d prospects of every size, shape, style and caliber it would have been absurd to draft another, unless another Orr was out there. Oh right, we got that last year.

Habs just think he is more talented than Kreider, that's all. They weren't the only ones either.

Bob mentioned that we have the summer to look at the team's make-up, even until October. I strongly feel he'll swing a deal in the next few days, away from the emotional, supercharged daft-day atmosphere. My gut tells me Marleau is on his way here. No basis for this, but a feeling.

Edited by tokyohabs

so he is going to grow taller after 18? Hmmm I remember when I was 16 I was 5 ft 11 amazing as it may seem I'm still 5 ft 11. He MAY grow or he may not his stats from the ushl say he 5 ft 11 and 170 has he grown since that? I mean it was this year. He may fill in, but UP no I don't think so. I think you are looking at a 5 ft 11 or maybe 6 ft 185 to 195 guy at 21. There is lot's to like about this kid. But I think the rangers got the deal of the day taking chris krieder bigger stronger and more talent. Imho or john moore a big mobile defenceman that's something we could use. This kid may turn out ok but I have a bad feeling that his province of origin influenced the decision because we still suffer from wickenheiser syndrome. I am a canadian of french descent who's family tree can be traced back over 300 years. so no I don't hold it against him that he is from Quebec, I just want the BPA. I don't think that is what we got. Hey I hope that I am dead wrong and in 4 years when he makes the team he is a star.

Lapierre was 6-0 when we drafted him, he's 6-2 now. Simon Gagné was 5-11, now 6-0. Antoine Vermette was 5-11 and now 6-1. I now these guys by heart because I followed them in juniors. When you've seen enough of those kids grow from 16 teens to 25 men, you can guess just by their built if they can get bigger or not. Leblanc's dad is 6-2, and if you look at Louis' frame (bony but large shoulders) you can guess he still have room for tons of muscular mass to add.

BTW, Kreider might be bigger, but not stronger or more talented. Leblanc played on a line with Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene and he overshadowed them at times. He dominated in the USHL with players 3, 4 years older than you. I dont know if you understand what that means, but there's a tons of difference between 17 and 21 yrs old. He's got hockey sense, which you dont mesure in inches and lbs and in the end often makes all the difference in the world. The comparisons with Mike Richards (look him up) are valid. We're talking about a center that takes charge of the game, makes his linemates better.

Damn glad we didnt end up with Kreider. We already have plenty of players in the "skates fast, shoots good, not much else to talk about" mold.

I'm super happy with the pick.

IMO, it was a wash between him, Josephson and Kreider...

but... it's never a real "wash" if your name is Louis Leblanc AND you are drafting at the Bell Center AND you are heading to NCAA.

every stars were in line for this guy to get taken here, at that spot, and that's what happened

-Jojo Savard

(lol)

Lapierre was 6-0 when we drafted him, he's 6-2 now. Simon Gagné was 5-11, now 6-0. Antoine Vermette was 5-11 and now 6-1. I now these guys by heart because I followed them in juniors. When you've seen enough of those kids grow from 16 teens to 25 men, you can guess just by their built if they can get bigger or not. Leblanc's dad is 6-2, and if you look at Louis' frame (bony but large shoulders) you can guess he still have room for tons of muscular mass to add.

BTW, Kreider might be bigger, but not stronger or more talented. Leblanc played on a line with Taylor Hall and Matt Duchene and he overshadowed them at times. He dominated in the USHL with players 3, 4 years older than you. I dont know if you understand what that means, but there's a tons of difference between 17 and 21 yrs old. He's got hockey sense, which you dont mesure in inches and lbs and in the end often makes all the difference in the world. The comparisons with Mike Richards (look him up) are valid. We're talking about a center that takes charge of the game, makes his linemates better.

Damn glad we didnt end up with Kreider. We already have plenty of players in the "skates fast, shoots good, not much else to talk about" mold.

I was 6', I'm now 8'

:mellow:

ok guys I was in a pissy mood thinking we would get some action happening and we didn't I like everyone else am waiting for some big news. I am beginning to wonder what the hell we are doing if the biggest news is that we drafted louis leblanc at 18. Big deal, it is where he was ranked and we were there. The reason no one else took him sooner is cause he is going to Harvard and may not be available for a number of years add in that he comes from an academic family and the prospects of him playing any time soon are not that good. How the hell does that change our team for the better Now. It doesn't. The last "academic super star" we had was Ken Dryden and while we won lots of cups he actually only played 8 years for us. Not that I am criticizing him just stating a fact. I doubt that Louis will have that impact and he may or may not have that long a career. He has other interests. Not a bad thing just the way it is. However he is a good hockey player and lets see if he can't get to 7 feet tall like you all think. I was actually hoping we would move up or get somone who would play in the near future, all this "look at the prospects we have "does get a little tiring especially after last year when the team regressed so far. Bob make something happen. You created this situation so do it. JUST DO IT. :) :ghg: :hlogo:

Edited by habs rule

Leblanc said his timetable was 2 years at Harvard and then make the jump. Basically just like finishing his junior career and turn pro at 20. I dont think he'll make the full 4 years at Harvard.

BTW, Woodlief from the RLR loved him and had him go as early as 7th overall. You know who else Woodlief loved and had gone early but fell on our lap late? http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/colu..._x.htm#forwards

I remember TSN having Leblanc listed as 6'0", 171 lbs. Not a smurf, not a giant. He will add muscle weight, he may grow an inch, whatever, doesn't really matter. They drafted an offensive but two-way centerman which will be a need in 3-4 seasons. I'm glad Gainey and Timmins' criteria for drafting wasn't hindered to strictly going for a "big centerman." You save those shitty team need risk picks for the late rounds, not the 1st. Leblanc was a good pick, and hopefully the francophone masses don't eat the kid alive while proclaiming him the messiah of Montreal, even when tearing him to shreds when he doesn't score 85 goals in his rookie season.

Leblanc said his timetable was 2 years at Harvard and then make the jump. Basically just like finishing his junior career and turn pro at 20. I dont think he'll make the full 4 years at Harvard.

Yeah, when they were first talking about how he came to play in the states and was going to Harvard I was kinda scared. It seemed like he was trying to get away from Quebec and would be intent on completing his degree at Harvard. I was quite pleased to hear him say he'd be willing to go pro after two years and that he seemed happy to be a Hab.

\

Is that like almost have the surefire winning lottary ticket?

I'd rather have 1 bluechipper, then a bunch of guys like Maxwell, White, Kristo, Chipchura etc, etc, Atleast with a bluechip prospect you have hope. Been awhile since the last great sure thing has come along in Montreal. I honestly thoght it was Carey Price, and hope it still is. But its hard to think after the finish of the last two seasons that hes it

I wouldnt start losing hope for Price already. M-A Fleury just got to be no.1 in pittsburgh and now he has a cup and he has to be 3-4 years older than Price.

i think this was a great pick, his a C and he is very smart, but what sold me was the look he his eyes and there was fire, he look so proud...with young hockey players walking around like the world owns them..this kid look like he got a big heart, and we really need that, so lets hope this kids get better and biger..because this kids looks like he got a big heart..

And this is where the subtlety of the topic escapes your grasp.

Roy was never a bluechipper, he was a 3rd rounder. Richer was never a bluechipper a late 2nd rounder. Naslund was a plucked out of the depths of Sweden (which, in 79, was, like, Slovenia in 2009). Carbonneau was a late 3rd rounder in the same year. Chris Chelios was also a late 2nd rounder.

Nobody in all those notorious names that were part of the 86 & 93 squads the Habs drafted (or used for trade) were bluechippers. But they were good picks and some happened be better than expected, and some even downright developped into stars.

Which is the whole point of having good depth, because law of average says in all your good prospects, perhaps a couple of them will go beyond expectations.

This is what makes experts around the league say that the Habs have one of the best crop of prospects in the league. Because it's one of the deepest group of talented players with upside. When year in and year out you can draft about 4, 5 guys who will one day be NHL regulars, you're doing a damn good job stocking up on prospects. Getting to have some of those turn into stars is an entirely different matter. But if you have depth in the first place, then you have assets to trade.

Never said they were bluechippers did I? I simply said do not compare the teams. Bluechip prospects didn't really exsist back then. The draft was nothing like it was today.

The draft is more of a science now than it was then. Go back and look at those drafts and see how many first round failures there were compared to now, and where guys were taken. You cant compare the draft then and now

Yes a few years ago the Habs had a good system. Those players are now in the NHL. Nobody will be saying this year that the best or even top 10 systems in the NHL. There is nobody thats close to the NHL, no surefire NHL ers, and no bluechippers. Subban is the closest, and hes atleast a year away. McDonaugh is probably 3 years away. Ememlins still in Russia.

Maxwell didnt do anything to impress anyone with his cup of coffee in the NHL.

Where are all these prospects you speak of? And who can they be dealt for?

Tell me who Bob might trade for, consensus seems to be Marleau, Clowe or Lecavalier? More importantly tell me who Bob can trade for these players?

Habs pick another C in the 3rd round: Joonas Nattinen ©

R3/65 Joonas Nattinen, C

2008-09 Stats

HT WT Team GP G A Pts PIM +/-

6-2 183 Blues (Fin Jr.) 30 9 29 38 6 -

Scouting Report: Has very good size for the center position, and he knows how to use it to his advantage... in his first taste of the SM-Liiga, he went pointless in 14 games with Blues Espoo... possesses two-way savvy and some scoring upside, but the jury is out on his long-range potential as a power forward... produced three points in six games for Finland at the 2009 WJC... was rated 28th overall by ISS in their May rankings...

And then a D from the US

R3/79 Mac Bennett, D

2008-09 Stats

HT WT Team GP G A Pts PIM +/-

6-0 170 Hotchkiss (High-CT) 15 2 9 11 10 -

Scouting Report: Is considered one of the best pure skaters available for selection in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, and may have the best lateral movement of any draft-eligible defenseman... produced at almost a point-per-game clip (11 points in 15 games) at Hotchkiss in 2008-09, and has all the tools (shot, passing ability, offensive instincts) to put up points in the pro ranks... the under-sized rearguard will attend the University of Michigan in 2010-11...

All I want now is for the Habs to take Alex Avtsyn

Unless it's like Sundin and MTL last year. :P

I'm pretty sure Bouwmeester doesn't want to retire so that decision-making process should be easy. :P

More on Nattinen:

NHL European Scouting Service

“Joonas plays very well at both ends of the ice and moves the puck well from both sides. He’s a good passer on his backhand and is utilized on the penalty kill. He is physically strong on the boards and is hard to knock down in this level.”

More on Bennett:

NHL Central Scouting’s Gary Eggleston

“Mac is a very strong skater with good acceleration and overall speed. He has very good lateral mobility and moves his feet quickly. He can lead the rush and moves the puck quickly from his own end. He has a very strong shot from the point. He is a very good passer. He runs the power play and distributes the puck well. His defensive zone play is very good. He is quick to gain and maintain control of the puck and moves it out quickly.”

I'm pretty sure Bouwmeester doesn't want to retire so that decision-making process should be easy. :P

Lol

:hlogo:

Maybe he would rather retire than join that train wreck :lol: