I Hate Len Barrie

The Saint

So Bob once again is making a run at Vinny and former NHL plumber and now lame-ass owner Len Barrie, seems to be the thorn in Bob's side.

Link to RDS story from Renaud Lavoie:RDS

Call me emotional but seeing Vinny in a Habs jersey would really be fun. Though I am worried that the price in terms of what we'd need to supply is too high.

I realize this is the story that wont die - but it's the soap opera elements and no movement clause that kicks in July 1 that make it top of mind for me right now...

Regardless, the fact that the fool with the power is Len Barrie makes me want to gag.

Truth is the deal, could only have happened last year, before Tampa called it off.

Most experts agree that Montreal doesn't have what it takes to pull the deal off, and if they did, there would be nobody left to play with Vinny.

So the question to ask would be, why add Vinny, and then rebuild the franchise.

I personally think Gainey is looking at something else, that will be totally surprising. I'd say maybe a multi player trade, with a few guys coming this way and a few going that way.....maybe mostly picks and prospects. That what leads me to believe it will not be top notch players, as we have nothing to give in return

Its either that, or Bob is going to go after the Sedin twins hard. But Bob has previously said that he want to do soemthing before 07 - 01 so he can attrack some free agents.

Its either that, or Bob is going to go after the Sedin twins hard. But Bob has previously said that he want to do soemthing before 07 - 01 so he can attrack some free agents.

we already tried that with sundin last season. we got tanguay, lang before july 1st, and sundin still didn't want to sign here.

its bs.

As much as I'd like to see Vinny in a Habs jersey, I maintain that the cost will be too high. So hooray for that incompetent boob Barrie.

we already tried that with sundin last season. we got tanguay, lang before july 1st, and sundin still didn't want to sign here.

its bs.

Tanguay yes, but Lang wasn't until just before the start of training camp. I imagine Gainey has that same idea in mind when he mentioned it may not be until Sept/Oct that they can get the type of player he covets.

so iam hoping bob got a plan, i really dont think we are going to get vinny, i think we have to give up to much and the cap hit is big...so i hope bob got some plans in place..A,B,C..I DONT CARE BUT HE GOT TO DO SOMTHING...

i dont think the sedins well be back in van, mostly for the same reason alot of guys dont what saku back..fans what a change in van and they dont think the sedins can get it done...

so here what i was thinking we can sign the sedin and i think we got a good chance at them...then we sign their old buddy Morrison, to a short term cheap deal which i think he jump at the chance to play with the sedins again after the year he had last year....so thats one line that dont cost any picks or players...

then we resign Koivu ,Tanguay and Kovalev..they look great together at the end of the year and was on fire...and as a 2nd line they look pretty good...and i think we can get koivu and kovlev for good deals, and sign tanguay long term...

then we use what left over to make the 3rd and 4th line, and the guys we dont need we can trade for pick or depth later on in the year..

trade i was thinking we can make is higgin to NYI..i think they give up a good draft pick for him because his a hometown boy and they what a new rink and higgins would help them do that.then we could use a pick like that to make biggers deals down the road...same goes for komi if we cant sign him....

I think many of you are being giant homers thinking that Lecavalier would be cost prohibitive...I think many of you are letting the fact he's a francophone cloud your judgement of the big picture.

If Tampa actually wants to trade him then it's because they now realise what a ridiculous contract they gave him...which means they want to dump the contract. Sure, they'll hold out for the best deal they can, and try to create a bidding war, but the reality is that no sane GM would give up as much as many seem to imply.

The FACTS are that he's had 2 very good seasons out of a 10 year career. He was pretty average last year (way below expectations), very very good the 2 years previous and just a tick above an average 1st line player the 3 years before that. By average 1st liner I mean he wasn't playing at superstar levels, but was still certainly good.

I think he could be had for 1 good NHL player, 1 good prospect and a draft pick...if T-Bay really wants to hold out for more then they aren't serious about moving him.

You all are talking like the Habs would have to give the equivalent of 2 1st round picks, a high level prospect along with Higgins and another NHL regular. If T-Bay wants that they really don't want to deal him...

I think many of you are being giant homers thinking that Lecavalier would be cost prohibitive...I think many of you are letting the fact he's a francophone cloud your judgement of the big picture.

If Tampa actMarleau and Thornton are probably out for the same reasonally wants to trade him then it's because they now realise what a ridiculous contract they gave him...which means they want to dump the contract. Sure, they'll hold out for the best deal they can, and try to create a bidding war, but the reality is that no sane GM would give up as much as many seem to imply.

The FACTS are that he's had 2 very good seasons out of a 10 year career. He was pretty average last year (way below expectations), very very good the 2 years previous and just a tick above an average 1st line player the 3 years before that. By average 1st liner I mean he wasn't playing at superstar levels, but was still certainly good.

I think he could be had for 1 good NHL player, 1 good prospect and a draft pick...if T-Bay really wants to hold out for more then they aren't serious about moving him.

You all are talking like the Habs would have to give the equivalent of 2 1st round picks, a high level prospect along with Higgins and another NHL regular. If T-Bay wants that they really don't want to deal him...

You have to remember that other teams are looking to add Lecavalier as well. Including The Kings. There is no way this guy is coming to Monteral cheap.

If Tampa actually wants to trade him then it's because they now realise what a ridiculous contract they gave him...which means they want to dump the contract. Sure, they'll hold out for the best deal they can, and try to create a bidding war, but the reality is that no sane GM would give up as much as many seem to imply.

have you seen t-bay gm he looks like he dont have clue what his doing...the thing is his not getting trade to montreal because t-bay is falling apart and they are not sure what to do...

if they were smart they trade him to montreal and start rebuilding the team they had a first over all lastyear and they had 2nd over all this year and got 2 great players,so if i was them i would asked for our 1st next year, pk subban, halak and one of our players right now and then they would have a bright future and lots of cap room to work with in the future so they can sign these young guys when their in there prime with the cap going down..but this dumb in t-bay is to scared to trade vinny..and it dont help that the owner are right out of it to...

so that why i go with the sedin they got great number, we can get 2 of them for 14 mil...and it wont cost us a thing...

Why do I have the feeling that that Edmonton report about Bettman telling TB to hold onto Vinnie, then giving the guy who doesn't want to trade him a veto, rings more and more true?

If it is, Bettman is tampering, trying to run the NHL like some sort of 2-tier MLS by forcing the 'have' teams to completely support the 'have-not' teams both financially and in terms of roster make-up.

F**king ridiculous.

For the record, I don't think the asking price will be so outlandish, as they want the contract OFF the books. What worries me much more are the injuries and the length of the contract.

Edited by tokyohabs

Why do I have the feeling that that Edmonton report about Bettman telling TB to hold onto Vinnie, then giving the guy who doesn't want to trade him a veto, rings more and more true?

If it is, Bettman is tampering, trying to run the NHL like some sort of 2-tier MLS by forcing the 'have' teams to completely support the 'have-not' teams both financially and in terms of roster make-up.

F**king ridiculous.

For the record, I don't think the asking price will be so outlandish, as they want the contract OFF the books. What worries me much more are the injuries and the length of the contract.

if the deal wasnt so outlandish you think bob be sitting on it...IT BE DONE............i tell you t-bay is f**k....i think there gm a glue bag and the owners are nuts and that why the deal not done....i just hope bob is not wasting all his time on vinny..if he cant be had, move on and work on somthing that might come true........

Doesn't matter what the deal is, so long as one guy vetoes it. We can only guess whether it is expensive or not.

My point was that, if the commish told them essentially to keep #4 or else no-one will ever take the franchise off their hands...that is what is outrageous. Everyone already knows Lawton is a zero in that organisation.

Doesn't matter what the deal is, so long as one guy vetoes it. We can only guess whether it is expensive or not.

My point was that, if the commish told them essentially to keep #4 or else no-one will ever take the franchise off their hands...that is what is outrageous. Everyone already knows Lawton is a zero in that organisation.

its was report that the gm(i think) got all the say in hockey matters.....my thing is this as been going on way to long...so i hope bob is not wasting anymore time on it......i think(hope) bobs as been getting mix signs from t-bay, because if he been told right out that there no way vinny is moving...then i hope he got the sense to move on and make a deal some where else...iam pretty sure there was a deal that was done that got sh*t can for some reason(owners)..but bob got to have a good idea of what going on now, because if bob is being led on by that gm in t-bay..i think bob well kick his ass..

so if we cant get vinny, i think we got to make a move on the twins..

Why does everyone hates Len Barrie ?

He is doing the right thing for his franchise, keeping his best player.

Plus, if he loses Vinny, he may lose St-Louis in the process.

Losing Vinny and possibly Marty may force the Lightning to move out of Tampa Bay.

Some of you guys are just bitter; sure I would LOVE to have Vinny on our team, I would be the 1st to act crazy, but don't blame someone for wanting what's best for his hockey club.

I really don't see how a struggling franchise like Tampa can afford to keep Vinny. I know the idea is that he will attract fans but unless they spend to the cap to give him a supporting cast the team will suck. They can't afford to spend to the cap because they are loosing money.

It was a HUGE mistake to offer Vinny that contract. They have a way out but are too stupid to take it.

Count this as a blessing in disguise.

I really don't see how a struggling franchise like Tampa can afford to keep Vinny. I know the idea is that he will attract fans but unless they spend to the cap to give him a supporting cast the team will suck. They can't afford to spend to the cap because they are loosing money.

It was a HUGE mistake to offer Vinny that contract. They have a way out but are too stupid to take it.

Count this as a blessing in disguise.

I hope you are right

If they have no choice but to let Vinny, then we have a great shot

If Bettman intervened, that is a scandal of a high magnitude. Where was he when idiot Houle traded Roy, huh?

One thing nobody seems to be asking...if Vinny's contract is SUCH a millstone around Tampa's neck, why wouldn't it be the same for us?

I can live without Vinny. The solution at C needn't be him. Cf Sedin twins, etc.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber