Gomez in - Higgins out !

JoeLassister

I like the deal for a couple reasons.

1 - It's a new beginning. At least we won't have the same lines at last year.

2 - I think it helps bring others in. I believe it gives Bob the opportunity to say to Tangs now.. Yeah, we'll sign you for 3m per and you can play with Gomes! Instead of overpaying for Tangs, we might be able to save a mil on a player or two.

Good for Bob for shaking things up. We were all calling for his head for doing nothing and now that he pulls a move we are again calling for his head? The thing that we have to realize is right now we have a better number one centre than we have had in a long time. Yes, he played brutal last year, but so did anybody with the Rangers jersey on.

Good job Bob, keep shaking up this team.

As for the loss of McDo, yeah it sucks. But he hasn't played a game in the NHL so lots can happen. I think if Bob can convince Emelin to come across, Subban and Fischer pan out, then we'll be just fine on the backend!

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Mac thinks we'll be chasing down Hossa, Havlat, and Gaborik tomorrow. Cammalleri I think is also a possibility, he's a goal scoring winger with good wheels. Suddenly he looks a lot better fit IMO.

Defensively, it'll be interesting to see who he targets. I fear it'll just be an Ohlund type. But in reality, that doesn't sound awful anymore.

I honestly think we're a better team because of this trade. And signing an impact winger is the right move in this situation.

Cause Sather would have been even more desperate to unload a HUGE contract!

no he would have traded him to the other team involved. and we would be sitting on our hands again. you wanted him to make moves he is.

I hate paying non elite players big dollars.

The Canadiens got the better end of the hockey trade, but this is not 2004, the salary cap is a huge

deal and locking $6.7M per season into Gomez for 5 years is far from desirable. Add in giving up McDonagh when

the Rangers were desperate to unload salary it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

You're right about the inflated salary, but the situation at C was absolutely horrible. It may have been a situation where, no matter what you did, you were going to take on a huge, risky contract (e.g., is Gomez for 5 years REALLY so much worse than Lecavalier for 11 or whatever it was? I guarantee you we wouldn't think so when Vinny is 39)- or else limp along with garbage at C. I also think the cap hit can be eaten in the short/medium term at least, by the savings we'll make on whatever we'd have to pay Higgins (especially were we to keep him as a UFA).

I can understand not being enthusiastic about the deal, but like I keep saying, this leaves us a better team than we were yesterday and solves the talent problem at C going forward; I don't think we should be rending our garments about it.

As for the names Saskhab mentioned, Hossa is the one that I would go ape over. Imagine him being fed by Gomez!! Gaborik, Cammelleri, no thanks, unless the price is right. Havlat is interesting. The Martin angle might help there. But what about the back end???

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Bob Mac thinks we'll be chasing down Hossa, Havlat, and Gaborik tomorrow. Cammalleri I think is also a possibility, he's a goal scoring winger with good wheels. Suddenly he looks a lot better fit IMO.

Defensively, it'll be interesting to see who he targets. I fear it'll just be an Ohlund type. But in reality, that doesn't sound awful anymore.

I honestly think we're a better team because of this trade. And signing an impact winger is the right move in this situation.

Gomez is a better player than Higgins, I also got the feeling that Higgins was not happy with his

checking role. But I will wait and see whether the Habs are better when they fill the rest of the holes.

This is an aggressive move by Gainey, it will be interesting to see if he continues the aggression.

What's a bit saddening is the result of the last five years.

We spent a lot of our love and habs-fandomship on how Komi and Higgins were the building blocks, were the core of this team...

They rejected us. Komi was testing the market... and Higgins was acting just like Ryder before he left. "Yah, I don't care, no matter what I do, you guys will be here, asking me questions"

I'm serious. 2 years ago, they were our "team identity"...

I feel dirty.

Welcome in Gomez, may you be more Habs-worthy than Komi and Higgins.

Gomez is a better player than Higgins, I also got the feeling that Higgins was not happy with his

checking role. But I will wait and see whether the Habs are better when they fill the rest of the holes.

This is an aggressive move by Gainey, it will be interesting to see if he continues the aggression.

This is an understatement. Higgins was seeing himself as a potential 40-40 guy. So by putting him on a checking line (where he belongs... heck, Rolston played on a checking line for 10 years), we were wasting him. IMO, we were bound to lose him as a UFA next season.

I would also make my move for a winger (I would include Tanguay on that list) but I don't see how we can offer a second player over 7 million per season.

My bet is we miss out on the top guys (except possibly Havlat) and then pay a bit less money for Tanguay or Gionta.

What's a bit saddening is the result of the last five years.

We spent a lot of our love and habs-fandomship on how Komi and Higgins were the building blocks, were the core of this team...

They rejected us. Komi was testing the market... and Higgins was acting just like Ryder before he left. "Yah, I don't care, no matter what I do, you guys will be here, asking me questions"

I'm serious. 2 years ago, they were our "team identity"...

I feel dirty.

Welcome in Gomez, may you be more Habs-worthy than Komi and Higgins.

This is an understatement. Higgins was seeing himself as a potential 40-40 guy. So by putting him on a checking line (where he belongs... heck, Rolston played on a checking line for 10 years), we were wasting him. IMO, we were bound to lose him as a UFA next season.

GREAT POST.

The Habs invested a lot in trying to create a 'Montreal canadiens identity' built around those two. And guess what? They didn't give a sh*t. It's a business, pure and simple.

I don't believe Higgins will ever be an elite scorer, but he might have one Big Year in him. Let's hope it ain't this year!!!

You're right about the inflated salary, but the situation at C was absolutely horrible. It may have been a situation where, no matter what you did, you were going to take on a huge, risky contract (e.g., is Gomez for 5 years REALLY so much worse than Lecavalier for 11 or whatever it was? I guarantee you we wouldn't think so when Vinny is 39)- or else limp along with garbage at C. I also think the cap hit can be eaten in the short/medium term at least, by the savings we'll make on whatever we'd have to pay Higgins (especially were we to keep him as a UFA).

I can understand not being enthusiastic about the deal, but like I keep saying, this leaves us a better team than we were yesterday and solves the talent problem at C going forward; I don't think we should be rending our garments about it.

The funny thing is, when I first heard the deal I wasn't that pissed. I knew the contract was poor but

it solved the Canadiens biggest need. I was ready to talk myself into the bad contract even though

I was less than enthused.

I went ape shit when I found out the Habs tossed in McDonagh. Either the Habs have soured on his development

or Gainey caved. At the end of the day McDonagh could make a minimal impact, I hate tossing in a player like that

when the Habs are the ones taking on the monster salary.

The funny thing is, when I first heard the deal I wasn't that pissed. I knew the contract was poor but

it solved the Canadiens biggest need. I was ready to talk myself into the bad contract even though

I went ape shit when I found out the Habs tossed in McDonagh. Either the Habs have soured on his development

or Gainey caved. At the end of the day McDonagh could make a minimal impact, I hate tossing in a player like that

yeah, but we have to be cautious with that.

IF they traded him, my bet is that they realized that he is NOT going to be as good as what they first projected.

e.g. Hainsey instead of Pronger/Niedermayer

I more or less agree, but I'm not going apeshit. Time'll tell (remember how angry people were at the loss of Balej?). And from what I read online :rolleyes: this Pyatt kid IS likely to be an NHLer, likely 3rd line, possibly 2nd line. People should at least bear that in MIND when dissing the 'throw in' of a prospect. We got some sort of value back at the prospect level as well.

GREAT POST.

The Habs invested a lot in trying to create a 'Montreal canadiens identity' built around those two. And guess what? They didn't give a sh*t. It's a business, pure and simple.

I don't believe Higgins will ever be an elite scorer, but he might have one Big Year in him. Let's hope it ain't this year!!!

This is so true, we were sold that Higgins was a future star and leader of the team.

It also pissed me off that 15 months ago I was on board with Gainey telling Atlanta to shove it when they wanted

Higgins. Gainey had made it clear that he was part of the future of the Canadiens.

So in a season where the Habs were legit Cup final contenders he could have dealt Higgins, McDonagh and a 4th liner

and Valentenko for a playoff run with Hossa, but the price was too steep then.

Now here we are today and Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko are gone for $7.5M of Scott Gomez for the next 5 years.

I would rather have taken the Stanley Cup shot with Hossa.

This is probably the crux of the disappointment of the majority. We drank the Kool-Aid.

Edited by Wamsley01

Implications of the trade with regards to free agency: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1804

Thanks for the article.

20 million sounds like a lot but we need a #1 or 2 dman to replace Komisarek and a serious winger to play with Gomez. We could "get by" with what we have but we really could use a second line centre as well.