So who is the Captain?

Trizzak

This was discussed a bit in the HW Free Agency Chat. If Koivu is out, who gets the C? Koivu could re-sign soon, making this thread useless, but he isn't at the moment so let's hear your candidates. Higgins was considered a potential captain for awhile, as was Komisarek. I guess you can cross those names off the list.

I have to wonder, though, is Gainey perhaps holding up the captaincy as a free agent draw? "Sign here and you'll also be the captain." It worked for Boston with Zdeno Chara. Heck, maybe he just added that to his offer for Komisarek!

So who is the captain? Is he currently a Habs player? Is he an unrestricted free agent? Is he on his way through a trade?

Very interesting question, but I think its way to early to start speculating yet. Like you hint at there are so many possibilities that could happen before the season starts. Was not being given the C a reason why Sundin didnt sign with the Habs? I'm only mentioning Sundin because Bob tends to like who he likes, it doesnt seem to change and I know he really wanted Sundin last year so its reasonable to assume that he still does. afaik Bob made an offer to Gomez when he was a UFA to so thats why he probably went after him too. I think Bob also made attempts to get Hossa off Atl and Gaborik off Min (or were those just rumors?) so they could end up Habs and get the C. Who knows what will unfold, not even Bob does at this point.

Kovalev if Koivu isn't back.

If neither back, Lapierre?

Mightn't the 'C' interfere with Lapierre's badass instigating?

Lapierre's too young. The C is a big responsability, it would be too much of a burden for Lapierre at this stage of his career, especially in Montreal.

How about... eeeh... Brisebois?! Laraque? Markov?

Koivu isn't gone yet. but if he does, Gomez can have an A after he earns it! and Laps gets an A and Kovy can have the C for as long as he remains with the habs!

But I say again Koivu is still our Captain!

GO Habs GO!

:ghg:

Don't the players vote for who they want to be Captain? I believe this is the Habs' tradition and the same way in which Koivu was narrowly named Captain over Corson.

This was discussed a bit in the HW Free Agency Chat. If Koivu is out, who gets the C? Koivu could re-sign soon, making this thread useless, but he isn't at the moment so let's hear your candidates. Higgins was considered a potential captain for awhile, as was Komisarek. I guess you can cross those names off the list.

I have to wonder, though, is Gainey perhaps holding up the captaincy as a free agent draw? "Sign here and you'll also be the captain." It worked for Boston with Zdeno Chara. Heck, maybe he just added that to his offer for Komisarek!

So who is the captain? Is he currently a Habs player? Is he an unrestricted free agent? Is he on his way through a trade?

Koivu

Komisarek?

Higgins?

hmm

Kovalev?

Seriously, each time K was absent, Kovalev wore the C, this is VERY unusual and is somewhat of a statement. I'm pretty sure that Kovalev gets it. I'm happy. He plays better with the C.

yea, very sad possibly the laziest and most difficult player to get hard work from will be the captain if resigned.

I can't believe i am the only one who has a problem with that.

Sets a bad example

Tough choice....

But if I had t name 1 captain, it would be.............

................. Komipierrev

Edited by rafikz

This team has been cursed from 1993 on, from second rate free agents signings to incompetent GM's.

Holy cow , next year will be the same old song.

What "competent" GM's do you think could convince players to come play in these conditions? lol