Habsworld Official 2009 Free Agent Thread

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still have a little over 11 Million left under the cap. We can still save this day.

Keep in mind, we only have 7 (8 if you include MaxPac) forwards signed for next season. We don't have enough money to go after anyone else big.

Keep in mind, we only have 7 (8 if you include MaxPac) forwards signed for next season. We don't have enough money to go after anyone else big.

But I think Bob could maneuver and get a little over the cap till the end of august and then drop some salaries along the way.

Gaborik to NYR, 7.5x5years

Also Heatleys going to Edmonton.

:hlogo:

Edited by The-Habby2919

Gaborik to NYR, 7.5x5years

Also Heatleys going to Edmonton.

:hlogo:

So yesterday's trade basically ends up for Rangers as Gomez and Pyatt for McDonaugh, Higgins and Gaborik

Mikey Cammalleri looks pumped to be a habs on his conference call with the media.

he said didn't really care about the money (all things being equal, he didn't worry)

that he was convinced by our ... plan :clap:

Beauchemin linked to Pittsburgh and L.A

no money in pitts.

So yesterday's trade basically ends up for Rangers as Gomez and Pyatt for McDonaugh, Higgins and Gaborik

and we traded higgins and mcdo for Camm, Gionta and Gomez.

;)

The winners / losers of the first day ?

I'd place Montreal in the winners because of the talent they signed. But losing Komi hurts (IMO).

Chicago is a huge winner too. They lost Khabibulin, but adding Hossa and Madden (huge signing) is awesome for them.

Losers : NJD : Gionta, Madden, Clemenson, Rupp all gone and no signing. Gotta think they will try Tanguay....

The winners / losers of the first day ?

I'd place Montreal in the winners because of the talent they signed. But losing Komi hurts (IMO).

Chicago is a huge winner too. They lost Khabibulin, but adding Hossa and Madden (huge signing) is awesome for them.

Losers : NJD : Gionta, Madden, Clemenson, Rupp all gone and no signing. Gotta think they will try Tanguay....

After the next season, I think Habs will be said to be 2nd biggest winner of the offseason.

BG has not always been on target (Sammy having no chemistry with Kovy, etc)

But this time?! It all makes sense AS A WHOLE

don't look at Gionta alone or at Gill alone.

if you look at the 4 UFA all together, and at the team, and at our needs/ need for an identiy, etc.

This is miles ahead a patchwork with the 09 team

Here are some patchwork arguments :

Imagine we keep Komi, but b/c of his huge ass contract, we don't have money for a 2nd puck moving dman (remember how we suffered from that last season?!)

Komi's alleged toughness and leadership is replaced by a Pylon-Gill. I'm not a fan of Gill... but I must admit that by the end of the year, we won't be missing Komi so much. Spaceman is very good to have.

Imagine we keep the whole 08-09 team. What tells you that it won't be a fiaco again? Receipe for disaster.

Imagine we trade for Gomez, then sign all the other guys back... a line of Gomez Kovalev and Tanguay?!! Talent, yes. Chemistry?? :puke:

---

I'm telling you, as a whole, it makes SO MUCH sense, it's brilliant, we can see the plan. I just can't wait to see what will happen with the rest of the team what will be the lines, etc.

I'm telling you, as a whole, it makes SO MUCH sense, it's brilliant, we can see the plan. I just can't wait to see what will happen with the rest of the team what will be the lines, etc.

I'm right on with you. Makes perfect sense when looking at it as a whole. It was the plan all along. The 5 year plan. Draft great prospects and then trade them for UFA we were not able to lure 2 years back.

[sharing your sarcasm}

TSN - SOURCES: NHL AND NHLPA INVESTIGATING BLACKHAWKS OVER OFFERS

Chicago tendered qualifying offers to several key players this week, including Kris Versteeg, Cam Barker, Ben Eager, Colin Fraser, Aaron Johnson and Troy Brouwer, however the investigation underway is to determiner whether the qualifying offers were filed correctly.

All or some may become UFA's as a result. Tallon sent the league the offers in time. But, the NHLPA has an agreement with the NHL that I imagine includes disclosure to a player when the qualifying offers are made and it probably must be delivered before the true deadline. For Tallon to say the delay was due to Canada Day is silly IMO.

Barker? This could be a big story? Yikes

TSN - SOURCES: NHL AND NHLPA INVESTIGATING BLACKHAWKS OVER OFFERS

All or some may become UFA's as a result. Tallon sent the league the offers in time. But, the NHLPA has an agreement with the NHL that I imagine includes disclosure to a player when the qualifying offers are made and it probably must be delivered before the true deadline. For Tallon to say the delay was due to Canada Day is silly IMO.

Barker? This could be a big story? Yikes

wow !!!

Versteeg is a big piece as well.

Hello? Are GMs having a 2 day nap? There are still free agents to be had.

Laraque once said that free agents use Montreal as leverage for more money from other teams, basically stringing the Canadiens along until a big offer comes from elsewhere. Now that the Habs are pretty much out of the rumour mill for every free agent left, are players having trouble getting the money they want?

Probably not. I just wanted to post something in this thread since there hasn't really been an exciting signing since July 1st.

Maybe they're all waiting to see how the Chicago situation resolves...

In any case, I'm bored.... someone do something!

Maybe they're all waiting to see how the Chicago situation resolves...

In any case, I'm bored.... someone do something!

That and the Dany Heatley situation.

Well, since I too am bored with Free Agency, I thought I'd put together the "Best Left List" just for something to do. I'll put 13 forwards, 7 d-men, and 2 goalies, these are in no particular order. Note that these aren't necessarily the best players all-round, there's a few "niche" players mixed in here.

Forwards:

Joe Sakic (Retirement)

Alex Tanguay (TB - 1 year, $2.5 M)

Saku Koivu (ANA - 1 year, $3.25 M)

Alexei Kovalev (OTT - 2 years, $10 M)

Mike Comrie

Ales Kotalik (NYR - 3 years, $9 M)

Travis Moen (MTL - 3 years, $4.5 M)

Todd Bertuzzi (DET - 1 year, $1.5 M)

Jason Williams (DET - 1 year, $1.5 M)

Dominic Moore

Robert Lang

Blair Betts (PHI - tryout)

Petr Sykora

Honourable Mentions: P.J. Axelsson (Sweden, terms NA), Mike Grier (BUF - 1 year, $1.2 M), Mike Sillinger (Retirement), Brendan Morrison (WSH - 1 year, $1.5 M), Maxim Afinogenov

Defencemen:

Francois Beauchemin (TOR - 3 years, $11.4 M)

Dennis Seidenberg

Mathieu Schneider (VAN - 1 year, $1.55 M base + $1.2 M bonuses = $2.75 M)

Derek Morris (BOS - 1 year, $3.3 M)

Nathan Oystrick (ATL - 2 years, $1.1275 M)

Jay McKee (PIT - 1 year, $800 K)

Paul Mara (MTL - 1 year, $1.675 M)

Honourable Mentions: Cory Murphy (NJ - 1 year, TW, TBD), Teppo Numminen (Retirement), Dmitri Kalinin (RUS - 2 years), Marc-Andre Bergeron

Goalies:

Martin Biron (NYI - 1 year, $1.4 M)

Antero Niittymaki (TB - 1 year, $600 K)

Honourable Mentions: Yann Danis (NJ - 1 year, $500 K), Manny Fernandez, Martin Gerber (Russia, terms NA)

I'm sure I missed a few people as I'm working off a free agent list that was made before the official one came out. Who'd make your list?