Habsworld Official 2009 Free Agent Thread

Done deal now, a 1 year deal with Nucks, financials not officially disclosed. ($1.55 M appears to be the magic figure here though...)

Vancouver also acquires a pair of d-men from San Jose, Ehrhoff and Lukowich for a pair of prospects in Daniel Rahimi and Patrick White.

Can't say I saw the 2nd one coming, but the Sharks just freed up a good chunk of cap space...

Me neither. I can only assume that SJ is clearing cap space for Heatley... but I thought Ehrhoff was one of the pieces that OTT wanted in return.

:popcorn:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither. I can only assume that SJ is clearing cap space for Heatley... but I thought Ehrhoff was one of the pieces that OTT wanted in return.

:popcorn:

The Nucks are now over the cap. Interesting will be to see how they will manage this...

Looks like Tangs is going to sign with TB for $2M for one year, pending a physical.

It's too bad, I would have loved to have him back in MTL, especially at that price.

Looks like Tangs is going to sign with TB for $2M for one year, pending a physical.

It's too bad, I would have loved to have him back in MTL, especially at that price.

WTF?

Why wouldn't we, or countless other teams, have signed him at that price? He probably didn't want to stay in Montreal. I'm sure Gainey would have liked to keep him at that salary.

WTF?

Why wouldn't we, or countless other teams, have signed him at that price? He probably didn't want to stay in Montreal. I'm sure Gainey would have liked to keep him at that salary.

We all know that Tangs was asking waaaaay more when he turned UFA. I think he finally realized that if he was ever going to make serious cash again, he'd have to play for "cheap" for a year. And what other way to boost your value than with playing with Vinnie, or at worst, Stamkos.

I'm sure had Tangs asked Bob for $2M on July 1st, he'd be a Canadien today.

PS - Why does the forum auto-correct "H a b" to habs? Sometimes people like to use the singular form, y'know?

Edited by lazy26

Yeah...people sometimes lose sight of the intensely competitive nature of GMing at the height of UFA season. Bob chose to go right to the cap and he got the players he wanted. He couldn't possibly have known that Tanguay would end up being bagged dirt cheap, but no matter, the French press will beat him over the head whenever the team struggles and they fall back on their tried and true analysis: not enough francophone players.... :rolleyes:

The Habs weren't the only team unwilling to pay top dollar for this guy, so you do have to wonder if there's some sort of "word" going around the league about him.

The Nucks are now over the cap. Interesting will be to see how they will manage this...

I thought Schneider was a dodgy replacement for Ohlund, but Gillis really scored a coup with that trade. Their top six features Mitchell, Bieksa, Schneider, Ehrloff, Edler and Lukowitch - that ain't bad!

Contract is $2,5m, and yes it's true Tanguay will join Lecavalier and St-Louis in Tampa Bay. The new French Connection, Habs fans can watch on winter vacation !

"The Bolts also had two heavy hitters lobbying for Tanguay: Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier. How can you say no to that kind of pitch?

"When Martin phoned, I was on the phone with Vincent," Tanguay said with a laugh, adding that he spoke with Lecavalier a few times. "I got them one after the other. They both told me they wanted me in Tampa and asked me if I had any questions about the city and things like that. They talked to me about the team."

Link to Interview

Well there's no way to say how the TB lines will shape up, anyway the team now has three top franco forwards . . .

And:

"The Canadiens never made me an offer, so you have to believe they weren't interested," (Tanguay) said. "They didn't give me any reasons why they didn't make me an offer. But it's a business and they did what they felt was the right thing for them."

Sykora?

there's Grampa Matts Sundin. I wonder if Mike Gillis realises just how g d lucky he is that Matts did not take him up on that 2 years 10 million per year contract idea? Boy would the canuckle heads be screwed right now. :lol: :hlogo: