Habs UFA Thread

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just a Gainey diehard...I have taken the view that the Gomez deal is at least worth a shot, instead of condemning it as obvious disaster like most of you...but gee whiz, this Spacek guy got 45 points last season. And I know a Columbus fan who used to just LOVE Spacek when he was with them for his solid all-around play and determination. I dunno, this seems like a useful, relatively inexpensive pickup - exactly the sort of value-for-the-dollar signing you want.

I think what's really going on here is expectations. Everyone expected a Lecavalier. Instead they get a Gomez. Everyone expected a Komisarek and/or Beauchemin. Instead - so far- they get a Spacek. The result is a narrative of failure being spun around the Habs' UFA efforts (the media *always* has to have such narratives, and they've settled on 'Habs bomb out', admittedly a recurring motif at this time of year, but it's worse this time because expectations were inflated). I'm pretty sure if Burke had signed Spacek, Dregher wouldn't be saying 'ouch.'

If Spacek replaces Komisarek, that's bad. If he replaces Gorges as 4th D-man, that's excellent. Much will depend on how it goes down over the remaining few hours and days - or upon subsequent trades. But as an addition to our D, this seems like a darned solid move. Unlike Gomez, it's typical Gainey.

I couldn't agree more. And I would even say that yesterday's as you'd put it "atypical Gainey" move is a direct product of inflated/unrealistic expectations that turned a 5 year plan into a 4 year plan, one domino at a time.

By the way it's funny how people will complain about Spacek being under contract until he's 38, but would be willing to live with a Lecavalier millstone contract well into his 40's.

as soon as players are starting their last contract year, you can start talking contract extension. as per bob policy, he doesnt talk contract until the end on the year.

with guys like bouillon or dandy its ok but in the case of a valuable, young player you try to show interest asap. now if the player doesnt want to stay that another story. but at least you know it and you try to pick assets for him at trade deadline.

Agreed. Bob ######ed up with Komisarek. Had he negotiated with him last year, or maybe last summer or even early on this year, he could have locked him up for a long period of time. BUt by waiting til the last minute, he opened the door wide open for Komi to test free agency. With less than 2 weeks to go, Bob made his first offer to Komi. No matter how good it might have been, Komi only had to wait 2 more weeks to hit free agency. He would have been an idiot not to see what he could get.

###### Bob!! All of you will scream when Komi ends up in Boston or with the Rangers. He will kill our tiny forwards!!!Mark my words!!

Can you imagine what Boston will look like if Komi ends up there? Wideman, CHara, Komi on the back end and Lucic and Wheeler up front.

I've been patient with Bob, but I don't like the Gomez and the Gill pick ups. Spacek is an OK player, but he's small(5'11) and is 35 years old. He'll be making 3.83 million$ per year...that's not exactly cheap!

feast on hal gill if you can

PLease, we used to laugh at Gill when he was with Toronto. Our forwards could skate around him like they wanted. He was a pylon out there!

IMHO

Komi is MUCH better than Gill on a team.

Komi is somewhat better than Spacek.

Is Komi better than the Gill + Spacek : maybe not...

Forget Beauchemin. Our D is set for next year. The only other D move I could see would be re-signing one of our past guys (like Schneider or Brisebois).

Suppose 4.4M goes out to Kovy. We're left with 8M to spend on two forwards. Enough for Havlat, a rookie and a bit of extra cap space.

who plays with Markov?

who is our #2 dman.

:unsure:

we all agree that komi is an above average player,right ?? even a fuure captain.

as soon as players are starting their last contract year, you can start talking contract extension. as per bob policy, he doesnt talk contract until the end on the year.

with guys like bouillon or dandy its ok but in the case of a valuable, young player you try to show interest asap. now if the player doesnt want to stay that another story. but at least you know it and you try to pick assets for him at trade deadline.

perhaps you should take a beer and relax cause youre really agressive when someone disagrees with your opinion.

nothing agressive you can't back up what you say. you said he would have signed for less in the fall I wanted to know how you knew that, you still have no answer. Do you know that Bob did not ask him if he would sign in the fall? His agent is a shark, I doubt he would have let him sign in the fall know f/a is coming up. And thanks I will have a beer. Never mistake logic for aggressiveness.

and since newf don't like it I am now saying this is a great signing. As to khabibulin history repeats itself 3 years of shit play followed by 1 good year to get a new contract. His agent should get 20% at least. Edmonton now still have no #1 goalie, at least not till contract time.

you'll find yourself in the minority thinking hal gill is a good signing .. wonder how many jersey's with his name on it will be sold.. lmao

hal gill

:lool: .. sure this isn't april 1st?? ... looking forward to the day when Gainey gets fired or resigns.. it'll happen and when it does it'll be great.. gainey has f'ed up this team and allowing komisarek to potentially leave is stupid.. hey that's my opinion and you don't have to agree.. but time will tell won't it.. you'll see later this year when hal gill looks like a monkey... hiring martins as a coach was bullsh!t too..

:?-

wtf is jacquesss and bob doing???

its probably just simple fact... noone wants to play in montreal.. so they have to settle for signing and overpaying old farts to make due until their huge wealth of prospects mature.. whenever the heck that's going to happen.

the whole front office and head scout need to be overhauled in montreal.

w0w, is this true? or are we being teased right now? :lol:

I hope its not for huge money for tonnes of years if its true. Not that I dont like Cammalleri, just Gomez contract is so much and for so long how many huge fat contracts do the Habs really need?

5 year deal :clap:

5:22 Sportsnet: Sportsnet has learned Cammalleri will get $30 million for five years from the Montreal Canadiens

5:23 darenmillard: we are breaking it.. hockeycentral 5 year deal.. money is at sportsnet.ca!!!!!! montreal gets a big fish...

5:25 darenmillard: mike cammalleri lands the montreal contract. 5 years... more than 5 million a year... kippy with the scoop..

Edited by Habitforming

WTF is this crap

Gill is awful and is nothing more then a final pairing d-man.

Spacek would be okay on a 2nd pairing but is again, simply "okay"...

This team is going backwards BADLY

who plays with Markov?

who is our #2 dman.

:unsure:

I don't think we have an official #2. It's a combination of Spacek and Hamrlik. Those three combined Gorges, Gill, Weber and O'Byrne (and/or Subban?) make for a pretty nice looking D. Look around the East, I doubt you'll count more than 1-3 better Ds.