Habs UFA Thread

Gomez, Plekanec, Lapierre, Metropolit as your centre line? Wont work. At this point, if getting a big C is so damn hard, just take Latendresse and move him to C.

BTW, Stewart is a LW. We actually are down to D'Agostini, SKostisyn and Laraque on the right. Camaro, Pacio, Latendro, AKo on the left. 46 should play on the RW anyway, so Stewdio moves to 4th...

Cammalleri - Gomez - A. Kositsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - D'Agostini

Pacioretty - Plekanec - S. Kositsyn

Stewart - Metropolit - Laraque

Markov - Hill

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gorges - O'Byrne/Weber

Bleah. It's worse than last season. I dont see anything in there that's better than what we had last season. Same small creampuffs forwards except for 2-3 of them, same weak 3rd pair...

And I dont get adding two left-side D's in Hill & Spacek when we already have Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges there; and we're losing 3 right-side D's in Komisarek, Schneider and Brisebois. WTF?!

Did you switched Laps and Plex on purpose to bring the point that it's worse than last season ?? If we sign Tanguay or Kovy, it will be better than last year for sure.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you switched Laps and Plex on purpose to bring the point that it's worse than last season ?? If we sign Tanguay or Kovy, it will be better than last year for sure.

I switched them because Laps is actually our 2nd best C. Just 11 less pts than Plex with virtually no PP time whatsoever and Tom "Hands of Stone" Kostopoulos on his RW almost the entire season, while trash talking and hitting and forechecking and backchecking. Yes, he's our #2 C right now.

My question is to Bob is why 2 left D when you already have 3 under contract ?

They have replace by similar players some player that had another role.

For Gomez and Cammelleri combo. The price is high, they are not superstars

but it is a definate upgrade on talent and it will be on results.

Just confirmed, Bob offered Mike $4m a year. When Toronto made it 4.5 Mike wanted $5m from Montreal due to the taxes and Montreal said no.

KOmi at $5m is too much!

Goddamn it...you're saying the TAXES cost us Komisarek????

That is just BRUTAL.

Roughly 10M$

And if you consider that:

Gomez = Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Hill = Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

We still have to replace Kovalev, Lang, Higgins, Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandeneault, Kostopoulos. Pacioretty should step in for Higgins, and Weber step in for Breezer, but there still lot of bodies left to get.

Nice post... how original :lol:

Edited by Habitforming

Gomez, Plekanec, Lapierre, Metropolit as your centre line? Wont work. At this point, if getting a big C is so damn hard, just take Latendresse and move him to C.

BTW, Stewart is a LW. We actually are down to D'Agostini, SKostisyn and Laraque on the right. Camaro, Pacio, Latendro, AKo on the left. 46 should play on the RW anyway, so Stewdio moves to 4th...

Cammalleri - Gomez - A. Kositsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - D'Agostini

Pacioretty - Plekanec - S. Kositsyn

Stewart - Metropolit - Laraque

Markov - Hill

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gorges - O'Byrne/Weber

Bleah. It's worse than last season. I dont see anything in there that's better than what we had last season. Same small creampuffs forwards except for 2-3 of them, same weak 3rd pair...

Who's our go-to guy? Cammalleri? And where's our secondary scoring supposed to come from? The RW is weak as sh*t.

And I dont get adding two left-side D's in Hill & Spacek when we already have Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges there; and we're losing 3 right-side D's in Komisarek, Schneider and Brisebois. WTF?!

If they aren't better than last year, then what was the point of this?

This seems like spending money to show they are doing something. Is this team going to knock of the pens?

Is this the team that Bob envisioned as the team that would make an assault at the Cup?

Brutal day

If Komi wanted 5.5 to stay in Montreal but took 4.5 to be in TO...I'm shaking my head. That hurts. He as much as told Montreal (and its fans) to go f*ck themselves.

What did we ever do to him??? Sent him to the All Star Game, that's what.

Very, very, very disappointing, but while we CAN blame Bob for not locking him up last year when everything was hunky-dory, it sounds like we CAN'T blame him for rejecting Komisarek's preposterous and unfair demand in this negotiation.

And at least Gainey staunched the bleeding with Spacek and Gill.

Nonetheless, I'm crushed. I loved Komisarek.

Again: very, very, very disappointing.

gomez is 10x tougher than thornton , how did he get to be a pansy ass?

Gomez will do nothing to adress our size/toughness problem up front...and he's overpaid by at least 2.5 million per year. Also, I heard the Pat Burns interview last night on CKAC Sports. Burns coached Gomez for 3 years and said that Gomez has a tendancy of not showing up on some nights. Not as bad as Kovalev, but for 7.5 million$ that's unacceptable!

7.5 million for a guy who averages 15 goals per year is stupid...another mistake by Bob.

I was patient for 6 years. I believed in Bob's 5 year plan. I waited and waited. But enough is enough. Bob fv.cked up with Ribeiro. I don't care if you didn't like him or you thought he was a cancer, it doesn't change the fact that we got NOTHING for him. Bob messed up with Streit, he messed up with Samsonov, he messed up with the Gomez Deal(by giving way to much for him and taking on his huge contract) and now he dropped the ball with Komisarek by not trying to negotiate with him last year or last summer!

last year group was going nowhere.

we changed last year group.

it remains to be seen where this year's group will lead us.

we always said we were a small skilled speedy team, without really being a small, skilled speedy team.

Gomez and Cammalleri are speedier and more talented than anything we had (except for kovalev, talent wise) (and you could also add : smaller lol )

I also believe that they have strong work ethic.

They are NOT the guys I wanted the most.

I wanted Lecavalier and Hossa. And I think that's why most of you are pissed. You too wanted Hossa and Lecavalier.

However, the big point is, they are WAY WAY WAY better than what they are really replacing : Koivu and Higgins. speedier, more talented, more vision, more consistency, etc.

So am I happy? yes I am.

Could I have been happier? yes I could have.

Komi-wise : I'm more mad at Komi than I am at Bob. I'm not so mad at Bob for not offering Komi a 5M (that's what it would have taken at that point?!) contract. The Komi of last season wasn't worth more than frikkin Hal Gill. Sure, he will get back to form... but to what form? The elite Komi who played 82 career games close to the Scott Stevens level? or the "Hal Gill" level (Mike Ratje, Kyle McLaren, etc). The normal BIG journeyman stay at home d, who can't rack up points and never makes the good offensive decision. Add to the that the fact that he is NOT tough. He hits, yes, but he is not tough.

Goddamn it...you're saying the TAXES cost us Komisarek????

That is just BRUTAL.

No, Gainey not upping the offer cost us Komisarek.

This is not on Komisarek.

If Gainey did not want Komisarek he should have dealt him at the deadline. Am I supposed to believe that Gainey

had NO CLUE that Komisarek wanted to leave?

7 years of being patient and we are rewarded with Gomez and Cammallari?

Brutal.

If Komi wanted 5.5 to stay in Montreal but took 4.5 to be in TO...I'm shaking my head. That hurts. He as much as told Montreal (and its fans) to go f*ck themselves.

The rumour is that Bob offered him 3.5 million per year(or it might have been 4 million per year???). Burke offered 4.5 million and Komisarek asked for 5 million from the Habs. They way I see it is that Komi gave Bob the finger for wating til the last minute to negotiate with him. Had I been in his shoes, I would have done the same thing!

Bob isn't willing to overpay by 500,000$ for Komi but is willing to overpay 7.5 million for a 15 goal scorer??? WTF!?!?!

Gomez will do nothing to adress our size/toughness problem up front...and he's overpaid by at least 2.5 million per year. Also, I heard the Pat Burns interview last night on CKAC Sports. Burns coached Gomez for 3 years and said that Gomez has a tendancy of not showing up on some nights. Not as bad as Kovalev, but for 7.5 million$ that's unacceptable!

7.5 million for a guy who averages 15 goals per year is stupid...another mistake by Bob.

I was patient for 6 years. I believed in Bob's 5 year plan. I waited and waited. But enough is enough. Bob fv.cked up with Ribeiro. I don't care if you didn't like him or you thought he was a cancer, it doesn't change the fact that we got NOTHING for him. Bob messed up with Streit, he messed up with Samsonov, he messed up with the Gomez Deal(by giving way to much for him and taking on his huge contract) and now he dropped the ball with Komisarek by not trying to negotiate with him last year or last summer!

life is very hard for you isn't it? you have my deepest sympathy.

However, the big point is, they are WAY WAY WAY better than what they are really replacing

Not according to Bobby Mac and P. McGuire! You might not like these guys, but they are the most knowledgeable guys in hockey today!

we always said we were a small skilled speedy team, without really being a small, skilled speedy team.

Gomez and Cammalleri are speedier and more talented than anything we had (except for kovalev, talent wise) (and you could also add : smaller lol )

I wanted Lecavalier and Hossa. And I think that's why most of you are pissed. You too wanted Hossa and Lecavalier.

However, the big point is, they are WAY WAY WAY better than what they are really replacing : Koivu and Higgins. speedier, more talented, more vision, more consistency, etc.

So am I happy? yes I am.

Komi-wise : I'm more mad at Komi than I am at Bob. I'm not so mad at Bob for not offering Komi a 5M (that's what it would have taken at that point?!) contract. The Komi of last season wasn't worth more than frikkin Hal Gill. Sure, he will get back to form... but to what form? The elite Komi who played 82 career games close to the Scott Stevens level? or the "Hal Gill" level (Mike Ratje, Kyle McLaren, etc). The normal BIG journeyman stay at home d, who can't rack up points and never makes the good offensive decision. Add to the that the fact that he is NOT tough. He hits, yes, but he is not tough.

we agree. you see my point. this was a great post

The rumour is that Bob offered him 3.5 million per year(or it might have been 4 million per year???). Burke offered 4.5 million and Komisarek asked for 5 million from the Habs. They way I see it is that Komi gave Bob the finger for wating til the last minute to negotiate with him. Had I been in his shoes, I would have done the same thing!

Bob isn't willing to overpay by 500,000$ for Komi but is willing to overpay 7.5 million for a 15 goal scorer??? WTF!?!?!

Bob didn't overpay for Gomez, Sather did. You can not compare acquiring a player by trade and signing one as a free agent. I guarantee you that if Gomez were a free agent, Gainey would have offered nothing close to 7.3M (and indeed, he was a free agent a couple of seasons ago and Bob passed on him while the Rangers scooped him up with this contract).

Not according to Bobby Mac and P. McGuire! You might not like these guys, but they are the most knowledgeable guys in hockey today!

these guys are to worry about s**k off bruke..if brain sign these guys in t.o they be singing a diff song...

Shit. Hal Gill is so far in my I-hate-these-players list that he has to start the season with 7ish good games before I coule only BEGIN to like him a little...

So am I happy? yes I am.

They are not just replacing Koivu and Higgins. Koivu and Higgins made $6M between them, Cammallari makes that alone.

Gomez and Cammallari are going to eat up $13.5M. So those two are replacing Koivu, Higgins, Tanguay and Komisarek from 2009.

This is the core of the new Canadiens. So in addressing the desperate need at C, they now have no imposing defensive presence.

Where is that player in the minors? So now next summer is it ok to deal off another 2-3 youngsters for an overpaid 2nd pairing defenseman

with toughness when they could have just kept Komisarek? Because that was the rationale yesterday for overpaying to acquire Gomez.

There is no method to this madness. This is Bob tossing around money because he has it. The team is still SMALL and is still not equipped

to deal with power forwards on the defensive end.

The only thing that will save Bob right now is Martin implementing a dominant system that helps develop the Kostitsyns, Latendresse,

Paccioretty and Price developing into a franchise superstar.

Outside of that, get used to another 5 years of battling for 8th place.

If you are going to blow your brains out make sure you are getting a SURE THING.

Edited by Wamsley01

They are not just replacing Koivu and Higgins. Koivu and Higgins made $6M between them, Cammallari makes that alone.

So those two are replacing Koivu, Higgins, Tanguay and Komisarek.

We'll have to wait after Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins sign before comparing their salaries with Camms and Gomez...

life is very hard for you isn't it? you have my deepest sympathy.

Not at all! My life is damn good. And there's no need to be condescending with me because you don't agree with me and are still under Bob Gainey's charm! When I see incompetence like what I've witnessed by Gainey over the past 3-4 seasons, i speak up!

Bob didn't overpay for Gomez, Sather did. You can not compare acquiring a player by trade and signing one as a free agent. I guarantee you that if Gomez were a free agent, Gainey would have offered nothing close to 7.3M (and indeed, he was a free agent a couple of seasons ago and Bob passed on him while the Rangers scooped him up with this contract).

Then Bob should have told Sather to go fv.ck himself with his demands. Not only did he take on a huge contract on a player who isn't worth that kind of money but he also gave up McDonough! Brutal!

Well, if you look at what he's done, he's paired one of the league's very best playmakers with a guy who has scored 34 and 39 goals in the NHL - the former done WITHOUT Iginla by the way - and who is just entering his prime. Given the acquisition of Gomez, Cammalleri makes more sense than Tanguay, who is also a playmaker, not a scorer. Basically the Habs got younger, faster, and more talented at forward. True, we remain under-sized. But how is this is anything but a marked IMPROVEMENT over a decaying Koivu and an erratic Chris Higgins??

Kovaelv will re-sign, I'm sure; so he needs to be added to the calculations.

The loss of Komisarek is horrible asset management, no question. I've been saying for months on this board that it is unacceptable to lose 3 top-4 defencemen in three years. However, looked at rationally, we have to see that our defence corps is likely to be at least comparable to last season's with the addition of the very useful Spacek and the more problematic, but tolerably effective, Gill. Throw in the fact that we will actually have an effective coach and I don't believe GAA will be the issue. Neither will offence, from the looks of it. So: improved offence from Gomez and Cammalleri (as well as Spacek from the back end), lateral moves on D, improved coaching. Team toughness, that's another story. But I think your 2010 Habs will actually be a pretty entertaining and effective team.

No, Bob wasn't willing to overpay Komi by about $2 million.

Komisarek has been among league leaders in two categories; hits and blocked shots. He doesn't score, doesn't contribute much offensively, doesn't get power-play time. And he doesn't fight either. He's a damn good defensive defenseman, but he has never even shown the potential to be anything more than that in his time in Montreal. $3.5 million was more than a reasonable offer. Burke overpaid for him because he thinks he's a Burke-type player. He'd better do more than face-wash if he wants Burke to keep him the whole five years.

We'll have to wait after Koivu, Tanguay and Higgins sign before comparing their salaries with Camms and Gomez...

I am referring to who they replaced last season salary wise.

Even if Higgins gets a raise and the other two stay the same it is less than what the two will make combined.