Habs UFA Thread

Not according to Bobby Mac and P. McGuire! You might not like these guys, but they are the most knowledgeable guys in hockey today!

If those guys know everything, why are they not GMs on an NHL team somewhere? :?-

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you look at what he's done, he's paired one of the league's very best playmakers with a guy who has scored 34 and 39 goals in the NHL - the former done WITHOUT Iginla by the way - and who is just entering his prime. Given the acquisition of Gomez, Cammalleri makes more sense than Tanguay, who is also a playmaker, not a scorer. Basically the Habs got younger, faster, and more talented at forward. True, we remain under-sized. But how is this is anything but a marked IMPROVEMENT over a decaying Koivu and an erratic Chris Higgins??

Kovaelv will re-sign, I'm sure; so he needs to be added to the calculations.

The loss of Komisarek is horrible asset management, no question. I've been saying for months on this board that it is unacceptable to lose 3 top-4 defencemen in three years. However, looked at rationally, we have to see that our defence corps is likely to be at least comparable to last season's with the addition of the very useful Spacek and the more problematic, but tolerably effective, Gill. Throw in the fact that we will actually have an effective coach and I don't believe GAA will be the issue. Neither will offence, from the looks of it. So: improved offence from Gomez and Cammalleri (as well as Spacek from the back end), lateral moves on D, improved coaching. Team toughness, that's another story. But I think your 2010 Habs will actually be a pretty entertaining and effective team.

The goal is to be a Cup contender. If the cap goes down next season to the low $50Ms and the Habs are locked into

essentially 40% on three players where is the Stanley Cup push coming from?

Bob is hedging that Gomez/Cammallari is the core of a Cup team. Meh, no thanks

Edited by Wamsley01

I like the acquisition of Cammalleri. The kid is good. Bob paid big bucks to get him over here. But once again, he's 5'9" tall. We'Re not getting any bigger up front. Gomez is 5'11", again, not getting any bigger.

Like I said earlier, we used to laugh at Gill when he played for the Bruins and the Leafs. Our forwards used to skate around him, cause he was soo slow. Are you trying to convince me that he's gotten faster now that he's 34 years old?

The Habs didn't get better today, they made a latteral move, nothing more!

If those guys know everything, why are they not GMs on an NHL team somewhere? :?-

Maybe they prefer their jobs? Maybe they don't like travelling like GM's have to?? I don't know, but it doesn't change the fact that they know what they're talking about!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm not about to fart sunshine over what the team has done on day 1, but the events of today hardly foretell imminent failure for the coming season.

I'd love to see Tangs back with the team, as right now, it seems the Habs once again have one "kinda" first line, and a collection of thirds. Of course, that's assuming none of the youngsters rebounds from last year. I'm happier with the D, despite losing Komi. The only thing that's worrisome is the collective age of the group.

It's humorous how many "blow up the core" posts there were, yet when that is exactly what happens, a great deal of people seem unhappy with the outcome. I'm not blindly accepting what Gainey has done as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but make no mistake, he's done something. Definitely a change from ol' stand-pat-Bob.

I agree with what you say but I still have not had anyone answer the question of how you were going to sign Komi last year? His agent is a shark who goes for the jugular he signed with the f'ing leaves for about 100,000.00 difference and actually wanted montreal to pay him 500,000.00 more than T.O. What the hell gives anybody the idea he would have signed for less when his value was at the highest? I do not get it. He had a shit last 1/2 of the year. and would not let the habs match the offer he wanted more. He would have gone back to the f'ing leaves for more and then then asked us for more GET real guys.

No, Bob wasn't willing to overpay Komi by about $2 million.

Komisarek has been among league leaders in two categories; hits and blocked shots. He doesn't score, doesn't contribute much offensively, doesn't get power-play time. And he doesn't fight either. He's a damn good defensive defenseman, but he has never even shown the potential to be anything more than that in his time in Montreal. $3.5 million was more than a reasonable offer. Burke overpaid for him because he thinks he's a Burke-type player. He'd better do more than face-wash if he wants Burke to keep him the whole five years.

I'd be willing to give 4.5 million or 5 million$ for a guy who grew up in the Habs organization. A guy who has CAPTAIN written all over him. He has great leadership. Is willing to stick for his team mates and you know that he shows up and is willing to go to war for your team. I'd way rather over pay for him than Gomez.

Rags just signed Gaborik for 5.25 a year for 5 years...... I'd be pissed that we didnt get a guy of his caliber for that cheap but really, will he play even half the games there?

:hlogo:

I'm not about to fart sunshine over what the team has done on day 1, but the events of today hardly foretell imminent failure for the coming season.

I'd love to see Tangs back with the team, as right now, it seems the Habs once again have one "kinda" first line, and a collection of thirds. Of course, that's assuming none of the youngsters rebounds from last year. I'm happier with the D, despite losing Komi. The only thing that's worrisome is the collective age of the group.

It's humorous how many "blow up the core" posts there were, yet when that is exactly what happens, a great deal of people seem unhappy with the outcome. I'm not blindly accepting what Gainey has done as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but make no mistake, he's done something. Definitely a change from ol' stand-pat-Bob.

I could care less if they are better next season. My concern is how they will look when the cap declines

and they need to pay Price $4-5M, and if anybody breaks out next season what is their future?

Where is the money going to come from? Where is the money going to come from to fill holes next summer?

This is very aggressive with the possibility of a declining cap figure.

The goal is to be a Cup contender. If the cap goes down next season to the low $50Ms and the Habs are locked into

essentially 40% on three players where is the Stanley Cup push coming from?

Bob is hedging that Gomez/Cammallari is the core of a Cup team. Meh, no thanks

Well, Gomez WAS a core player on two Cup teams.

Cammalleri is a terrific, scoring young player who, when he was on LA, tons of people on this site were crying out for Gainey to acquire.

We'll see how the cap implications play out, but I'm not throwing myself off a bridge over them just yet. If Komi indeed wanted $5 mil + from the Habs, then Gainey gave himself some cap flexibility on D at least by NOT signing Komi. I also see 'contending' teams like Philly and Chicago (and Detroit, and Pittsburgh...etc.) basically maxing out salary and being prepared to wrestle with cap problems as they arise down the line. You know, Hamrlik's up in two years...there's 5.5 mil right there. Cap issues CAN be dealt with in various ways.

So let's focus on the team as it stands and not on worst-case scenarios in the event of declining cap space. Maybe I'm delusional, but I see a talented, fast-as-lightning team committed to working hard and playing the team concept. We'll be good. Not instant contenders, obviously, but exciting and dangerous. And our young players should get better. Is this a home run? No, but it's a lot better than the bag of sh*t people are making it out to be.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I could care less if they are better next season. My concern is how they will look when the cap declines

and they need to pay Price $4-5M, and if anybody breaks out next season what is their future?

Where is the money going to come from? Where is the money going to come from to fill holes next summer?

This is very aggressive with the possibility of a declining cap figure.

gee I thought as fans our job was to worry about winning the cup.

Gaborik signed with teh Rangers.$

I agree with what you say but I still have not had anyone answer the question of how you were going to sign Komi last year?

Can we at least agree that 2 years ago,(2006-2007) we all knew that Komisarek was gonna be good? We knew he was gonna be the next captain, they were already talking about it at that time. Why only offer him a 2 year deal back then? Why not offer him a longer term contract at a higher price? We could have signed him for 12 million over 4 years back then.

Or bob could have approached him in the summer between the 06-07 and the 07-08 seasons. He could've approached him early in the 07-08 season...he could have done something earlier, but with his dumb-ass policy of not negotiating during the season, he dropped the ball.

According to CKAC sports Bob has signed Brian Gionta!

Edited by Habsfan

i still would take Koivu back for a cheap short deal,i like to see Tanguay 0n 3-5 year deal for between 3.5-4.5, and i think ak47 well come back cheap...

But he was slotted between Arnot & Holik, two huge centers. NJ never went past the 2nd round once he was the #1 C. Neither did NYR. Here he'll be front row with Plex, Laps and Metropolit behind him. I can hear the collective knees of the Eastern Conference shaking already...

Cammalleri is a terrific, scoring young player who, when he was on LA, tons of people on this site were crying out for Gainey to acquire.

We'll see how the cap implications play out, but I'm not throwing myself off a bridge over them just yet. If Komi indeed wanted $5 mil + from the Habs, then Gainey gave himself some cap flexibility on D at least by NOT signing Komi. I also see 'contending' teams like Philly and Chicago (and Detroit, and Pittsburgh...etc.) basically maxing out salary and being prepared to wrestle with cap problems as they arise down the line. You know, Hamrlik's up in two years...there's 5.5 mil right there. Cap issues CAN be dealt with in various ways.

So let's focus on the team as it stands and not on worst-case scenarios in the event of declining cap space. Maybe I'm delusional, but I see a talented, fast-as-lightning team committed to working hard and playing the team concept. We'll be good. Not instant contenders, obviously, but exciting and dangerous. And our young players should get better. Is this a home run? No, but it's a lot better than the bag of sh*t people are making it out to be.

Gomez was a core player on a defense with Niedermayer and Scott Stevens. I don't see that in Montreal.

As for the capped out teams in Philly, Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh.....they all have superstar talent.

Carter, Richards, Gagne, Coburn and Pronger in Philly

Toews, Kane, Barker, Keith, Hossa in Chicago

Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Datsyuk in Detroit

Crosby, Malkin and Gonchar in Pittsburgh

Those are cores that I can live with being capped out for.

This is an overreaction on my part big time. I haven't even analyzed the cap figures two years from now.

And when I do and when I talk myself into what he has done I will probably be more optimistic, but my core

beliefs are that you pay superstar money to superstars and Gainey has not done that while losing three players

who he promoted as core guys for the last 5 years.

edit: Now Gionta for $5M? Brutal. Now the core is Gomez/Gionta and Cammallari for the next 5 years?

Edited by Wamsley01

Darren Dreger says RDS has Gionta to MTL at 5 yrs @ $25M... please no.............

It's been confirmed by CKAC sports and RDS...5'7"...this is turning out to be the team of smurfs!

Edited by Habsfan

Wow... slightly overpaid but if he can produce with Gomez and Cammy it could be a great signing... still small tho.

:hlogo:

Gaborik signed with teh Rangers.$

Can we at least agree that 2 years ago,(2006-2007) we all knew that Komisarek was gonna be good? We knew he was gonna be the next captain, they were already talking about it at that time. Why only offer him a 2 year deal back then? Why not offer him a longer term contract at a higher price? We could have signed him for 12 million over 4 years back then.

Or bob could have approached him in the summer between the 06-07 and the 07-08 seasons. He could've approached him early in the 07-08 season...he could have done something earlier, but with his dumb-ass policy of not negotiating during the season, he dropped the ball.

According to CKAC sports Bob has signed Brian Gionta!

you should maybe talk to his agent cause in case you haven't heard there are always 2 sides in a negotiation you don't know what bob did or what they wanted.