Habs UFA Thread

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words and ditto.

I fully admit to overreacting because I have been on board with everything he has done for 5 years (give or take a few).

I wanted to jettison the core, BUT I am fully confused by the timing. I really saw the 2010 season as a great opportunity

to be flexible and remake this core. I also don't think he addressed the size issue and I HATE paying premier dollars for

question marks.

This COULD be great, but Gomez could put up 65 points and Gionta 20 goals and Cammallari could regress to 25-30.

If that happens, what is the reaction next season when these guys are the core for the next 5 years?

This is extremely risky. It could work, but it is the first time in 5 years where I feel the actions could lead to possible

disaster. And I don't like disaster.

That being said, if this team busts their ass every night and turn into a Devils stye team, then I will recant and love the moves

because it is what I have been looking for for 3 seasons.

My faith has been shaken with the regression of the prize prospects, but if last season was just a developmental blip

then you guys are welcome to throw these posts in my face should this huge gamble pay off.

and you know i will :lol: :hlogo:

I am surprised at the lack of emotion over Koivu's departure.

Well, I'm in the denial phase of loss... trying not to think about it. :(

With a few obvious exceptions, wherever he goes instantly becomes my second favourite team.

I am surprised at the lack of emotion over Koivu's departure.

You don't want to see the "emotion" Habs fans have to direct at Koivu. :P

KoZ (by the way, you're name is seriously outdated now... make it GoCam), we also lost Kostopoulos.

weird how this kovy signing is still on nhl.com with bob saying he waited too long

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=432992

There's nothing on tsn or the canadiens site, but folk out there are believing it.

During his Press conference, Bob confirmed that he made Kovy and Offer, but Kovy waited too long to get back to Bob, so Bob signed Gionta!!!

What is our remaining cap space?

Around 8 millions ?

Which means we won't be able to re-sign both Kovy and Tang

Nah, we're done. About 1 million after we sign our RFA.

I'd just like to point out that today, by completely turning over the roster, Gainey has all but admitted the last few years were a mistake.

How?

Different years, different situations.

Nah, we're done. About 1 million after we sign our RFA.

Isn't there an RFA exception in the convention (such as the "Larry Bird"exception in the NBA) ?

Would you prefer he continue in denial?

Most GMs who fail get fired.

How?

Different years, different situations.

Because he just turned over half the team that he built. That means he failed at putting a team together and had to start practically from scratch.

The team was built to win the Cup last year. Up until then, everything went well. But the team tanked and this year is NOT last year. Until this offseason, ejecting the core would have been a shitty move. Now it's the way to go. It being the right move now doesn't mean he should have done it sooner.

Isn't there an RFA exception in the convention (such as the "Larry Bird"exception in the NBA) ?

Not sure what you mean...

The team was built to win the Cup last year. Up until then, everything went well. But the team tanked and this year is NOT last year. Until this offseason, ejecting the core would have been a shitty move. Now it's the way to go. It being the right move now doesn't mean he should have done it sooner.

Bird rights, it's a term allowing NBA teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents...or something like that.

An exception that allows a team to re-sign a player and go over the cap

You don't want to see the "emotion" Habs fans have to direct at Koivu. :P

KoZ (by the way, you're name is seriously outdated now... make it GoCam), we also lost Kostopoulos.

Kostitsyn is still there. 2 of them!

And we got Gomez, so I still have a Z to go by..

Ed... in memoriam of Ed Ronan.

I'd just like to point out that today, by completely turning over the roster, Gainey has all but admitted the last few years were a mistake.

Well, Koivu, Bouillon, Komisarek & Higgins were already here when he came aboard. Kovy he traded and kept for, what, 5 years? Tang, Lang, Schneider, Brisebois were 1-year rentals.

I am not really all that pleased wth how things turn out, most likely because I was expecting something totally different then what transpired today

However I find something very interesting. All the guys that Bob Gainey signed today are playoff veterans. Guys who know how to win, or have won, in the playoffs at some point in there career.

Gomez Championships with the Devils

Gionta Championships with the Devils

Gill Cup runs with the Pens

Cammelari playoffs the last few years with Calgary

Spacek was with Buffalo on their playoff runs a few years ago, and played for one of the best coaches in the league since the lockout.

Interesting

Ok, let's play with our new toys.

Find nicknames for players and lines!

Spacek is Spaceman, definitely.

Gill... find something else than pylon! Le Gros Gill, something like that.

Cammalleri, Gomez, Gionta. Anything but "Cammy", "Gommy" or "Gigy". They'll probably end up on the same line, so... CGG is easy. Not quite the EGG line ...

Most GMs who fail get fired.

Because he just turned over half the team that he built. That means he failed at putting a team together and had to start practically from scratch.

or possibly the players he paid millions of dollars to crapped the bed and he has to clean up the mess.