• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Latendresse Gomez Gionta

Cammalleri Lang Kovalev

Pacioretty Lapierre D'Agostini

Stewart Metro Laraque

Trade Plekanec and the brothers to NJ for draft picks, sign Lang and Kovalev

Just saw these lines after i had done mine.

lol

Rather see Diago shipped out as i'm not sold on him yet. Like S.Kostits alot better. His around is more well-rounded.

Sure would be nice to have Kovy back though.

i'm still expecting the Habs to trade either Price or Halak

Price is still seen as the franchise goalie, and where are you going get a decent sub-$1M backup goalie? Islanders are paying Roloson $2.5M/year to be di Pietro's #2. For sure trading Halak would not gain you any cap space.

Latendresse Gomez Gionta

Cammalleri Lang Kovalev

Pacioretty Lapierre D'Agostini

Stewart Metro Laraque

Trade Plekanec and the brothers to NJ for draft picks, sign Lang and Kovalev

I'm not ready to give up on the Kosty brothers. Not that fast anyway.

I'm not ready to give up on the Kosty brothers. Not that fast anyway.

I would hope not, because a lot of the success of this team will be tied to their growth.

Price is still seen as the franchise goalie, and where are you going get a decent sub-$1M backup goalie? Islanders are paying Roloson $2.5M/year to be di Pietro's #2. For sure trading Halak would not gain you any cap space.

They didn't resign Melanson because he couldn't help Price

on the other hand, Halak is somewhat a product of Melanson

so... there is a pretty good hint there. ^_^

Just 1 thing I should let you know aboot your 3 Gringos: 1of them is from Richmond Hill Ontario. Cammalleri isnt American. ^_^

well, he went the NCAA route.

so that makes him an american too :P (and Leblanc! )

It's the old misdirection trick -- fans would be calling for Gainey's head after Komi was allowed to go to our chief rival for nothing; but this flurry of trades and signings directs the attention onto our new players -- desperation IMHO, shake it up and see what happens. We barely made the playoffs last season, same same this season no? Anyone seriously see us as contenders?

Let's face it the five-year plan failed miserably.

Nah, Komi slipped out of hands mainly after all of that. Here is a recap. It's pretty accurate, I was there... (yeah, right, believe me. :P)

Gainey said :

June 30th

Komi and Kovy, do you want to be my new nucleus.

July 1st 12:01

Guys, I asked you a question. Ok, here are some offers.

July 1st 2PM

Guys, I'm still waiting.

July 1st 2:30

Komi, you didn't even tell me how much you want, do you like my offer? PLEASE TALK TO ME ( :lol: )

July 1st 3PM

Awww f#@# it. Spaceman, Pylon, you are my guys.

July 1st 4PM

aaww Kovy, c'mon, you're not worth [10M] a season, when players say you are one of the most talented in the league, it's not necessarily true anymore...

here, I offer a bit more. I'm waiting to hear from you soon.

July 1st 4:30

What Camm and Gionta are accepting? Ok for Camm, let Gionta wait for one hour, I'll pretend that I'm busy with Camm, but I'm just giving Kovy some more time.

July 1st 6PM

Say hello to my little friend. Gionta.

Alex stream, you can't be serious about the D. Let me break it down for you.

Specek Gil, 6 mill. Spacek by himeslf outscored Dandy, Brisby, Bouillon and Komi, those 4 salaries were 6 mill. Komi didn't even want to be a habs. Gil and Spacek did. They are a significant upgrade to last years bunch. Which i'll remind you was bottom 5 in the league, no question.

Gil was brought in to Pk, Spacek for the PP. Both are physically tough, i have no idea where people are gettng things on Spacek, he was the Sabres best Damn.

Mark my words...Gill will be run out of town by the fans. Other then being big he is no where near Komisarek in terms of ability. People have knocked Komisarek for not scoring but he actually would have produced some if he had any PP time IMHO. He just soaked up so many minutes on the PK and 5 on 5, plus the Habs had Markov and Hamrlik manning the PP's. The team never gave him the role. In his development he did show flashes of being able to produce some offense. His skating is also above average...and Gill can't skate at all, he's all reach and pray.

Beyond a first line the 2nd line is a HUGE question mark. This team has 4-5 guys who can be considered legit top 6 forwards...and needs a couple of young guys to step up and fill the holes. The 3rd line is merely "okay" but doesn't have anything special on it...Lapierre is at least an "old school" checking line player.

The D still has Markov, for now, and an aging Hamrlik. Gorges seems to be developing nicely into what Rivet was to the Habs previously. Beyond that, Gill is brutal, O'Byrne is Gill v. 2.0 (hopefully he develops into more) and the team needs some youth to step up. By year end Price/Halak will be begging Gainey for 1-2 top 4 d-men...hell, they needed one more this year and instead they lost one.

What GM thinks it's a good idea to throw out 2 young, inexperienced, goalies with this kind of D?

Wait a minute, did you watch the D last year? In case you missed it they sucked and gave up 40 shots routinly.

Spacek can move the puck and a decent skater. Gil will get 3rd line time and play the PK.

With the new speed and talent up front they won't be in there own end nearly as much. Thwy will also score more as well.

Let them play a game before you throw them under the bus.

Wait a minute, did you watch the D last year? In case you missed it they sucked and gave up 40 shots routinly.

Spacek can move the puck and a decent skater. Gil will get 3rd line time and play the PK.

With the new speed and talent up front they won't be in there own end nearly as much. Thwy will also score more as well.

I am sure that Martin will have a big impact on this too. Imagine having the forwards actually support the Dmen instead of racing towards the opponents blueline.

Yea, i think the days of 40 shots a night and blaming the goalie for not saving 39 a night will be over.

For the first time in a long time i am excited that the habs may actually do some damage in the playoffs.

Good coaching

Solid winners now in the locker room

plenty of ring winners

solid work ethic guys

Finally some actual speed and talent

Mark my words...Gill will be run out of town by the fans. Other then being big he is no where near Komisarek in terms of ability. People have knocked Komisarek for not scoring but he actually would have produced some if he had any PP time IMHO. He just soaked up so many minutes on the PK and 5 on 5, plus the Habs had Markov and Hamrlik manning the PP's. The team never gave him the role. In his development he did show flashes of being able to produce some offense. His skating is also above average...and Gill can't skate at all, he's all reach and pray.

Agreed. We used to laugh at Gill when he was with the Leafies. Is he supposed to be any better at 34 years of age?? I seriously doubt it!

The Habs gave up 31.7 shots per game last year (32.5 in the playoffs)...you're "routinely gave up 40 shots" comment is in your mind only and not supported by the data. They allowed a larger portion in the last 1.5 month of the regular season which is likely why you "remember" it that way.

I watched our D and I also happened to watch Spacek and Gill too...I think it is wishful thinking that Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta (instead of Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Lang) will mean the Habs will not be in their zone as much. They are going to be playing a more up tempo game, probably cycle the puck a little less effectively (thus meaning it's coming back faster), and they have GILL to depend on. Spacek I can live with as a 2nd tier puck mover but he's not exactly a top pairing guy on a good D IMHO...and they need a top pairing type of guy right now.

The Habs gave up 31.7 shots per game last year (32.5 in the playoffs)...you're "routinely gave up 40 shots" comment is in your mind only and not supported by the data. They allowed a larger portion in the last 1.5 month of the regular season which is likely why you "remember" it that way.

I watched our D and I also happened to watch Spacek and Gill too...I think it is wishful thinking that Cammalleri, Gomez and Gionta (instead of Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins, Lang) will mean the Habs will not be in their zone as much. They are going to be playing a more up tempo game, probably cycle the puck a little less effectively (thus meaning it's coming back faster), and they have GILL to depend on. Spacek I can live with as a 2nd tier puck mover but he's not exactly a top pairing guy on a good D IMHO...and they need a top pairing type of guy right now.

Hammer was brutal last year, but I have to hope he rebounds. If he does, we have Hammer, Markov and Spacek as legit top 4 d. Gorges has shown he is capable of it as well. Komi proved to me last year he is not. He is slow, without the reach. He takes dumb penalties. He never showed any flair for scoring or setting up a goal either. Komi may turn his game around in Toronto, but even if he does, his upside is that he won't suck defensively like he did last year. If he plays like he did last year, you have a guy with zero offense, bad defensive, too many bad penalties, and afraid to use his size. He is a good shot blocker, so at least he isn't afraid of the puck hitting him, just Lucic. :)

Agreed. We used to laugh at Gill when he was with the Leafies. Is he supposed to be any better at 34 years of age?? I seriously doubt it!

We used to laugh at Gill BECAUSE he was a Leaf. Biases aside, he's a big presence with a long reach, basically a poor man's Chara. Not very mobile, but he can protect the crease well, which is definitely something Carey could use.

Edited by ForumGhost

Hammer was brutal last year, but I have to hope he rebounds. If he does, we have Hammer, Markov and Spacek as legit top 4 d. Gorges has shown he is capable of it as well. Komi proved to me last year he is not. He is slow, without the reach. He takes dumb penalties. He never showed any flair for scoring or setting up a goal either. Komi may turn his game around in Toronto, but even if he does, his upside is that he won't suck defensively like he did last year. If he plays like he did last year, you have a guy with zero offense, bad defensive, too many bad penalties, and afraid to use his size. He is a good shot blocker, so at least he isn't afraid of the puck hitting him, just Lucic. :)

For those of you who saw Komi in their soup, Pat Burns had some comments right in line with what I think this morning at CKAC radio station in Montreal. Basicaly he said that he did not understand all the hype about Komi from Montreal fans. The comparisons with Robinson were way overblown in his opinion. He agrees 100% with Gainey for not offering the kind of contract he has signed with the Leafs.

Talking about Gionta, Burns had great words too. He compared him to Martin St. Louis. Said that he worked well with Gomez; made him play harder. Montreal fans will love him, he said.

There are too many homers who are blinded by faith on these boards!

Gill a good acquisition? I think not!

Gill is an upgrade on Bouillon. He's not taking Komisarek's spot. He'll play about 18 minutes a night, and play well on the PP. He'll help break Weber and O'Byrne into the NHL, and be a leader in the dressing room.

Gill is a good player. He played a role on a Stanley Cup champion, and he'll play a role for us. If we put him as our top shutdown guy and give him 20-22 minutes, of course he'll be left exposed. Hamrlik is probably our top shutdown guy, as he has good size, mobility and passing. Markov is our workhorse. Spacek is a puckmover with a big shot, and Gorges and Gill will be the complimentary pieces, used to their strengths to help support the top guys.

Most of all, it'll be a team defensive effort. No more forcing Markov-Komisarek to do all the heavy lifting. I think looking at the roster you guys are forgetting we have a new coach and system coming into place. These guys will be forced to buy into Martin's system... they have no choice. Even if Markov or someone else is elected the team captain, Martin is the real leader of this team now. He'll fill the leadership void. The new guys will be his mouthpieces if neccesary.

And so much for the theory that you can't attract quality UFA's to Montreal.

:clap: Nilan! well said :clap:

Good Luck Saku, my fav player of all time!

You deserve better from this province!

We will miss the Finnish Flash Saku Koivu!...A true Canadien :hlogo:

Well, if Koivu is your favourite player of all time, you must be pretty young. IMO, Koivu is certainly the least talented 1st centerman the Habs have had for a long time. He sure had a great heart, played injured and had to fight cancer. It tells a lot about this man. But the hockey player was not great. Look at his stats. He has not even reached the 200 goals level!

I am sorry, but I won't miss the hockey player. In fact, I have been saying for years that the Habs should have traded him earlier. He was taking too much ice time for the quality of his play. He was also an average playmaker (and I am very polite here). I used to say that his line was the real "doughnut line" (the former one was the Shutt-Mahovlich-Lafleur's one). There was a hole in the centre, so no wonder that the puck was never coming from there.

JMO

Gill is an upgrade on Bouillon. He's not taking Komisarek's spot. He'll play about 18 minutes a night, and play well on the PP. He'll help break Weber and O'Byrne into the NHL, and be a leader in the dressing room.

Gill is a good player. He played a role on a Stanley Cup champion, and he'll play a role for us. If we put him as our top shutdown guy and give him 20-22 minutes, of course he'll be left exposed.

Gill on the powerplay. You've GOT to be kidding. The man has one powerplay point in his entire NHL career. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the powerplay.

He is definitely taking Komi's role of shut-down guy, it's what he did in Pittsburgh. What made things easier for him, though, was Pittsburgh's skill players up front. Gill has said himself that all he had to do was flip the puck up to his skill guys and he was fine. Montreal forwards are terrible at helping their D-men out, though, that is something Martin will hopefully fix.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good signing also, but for different reasons. I think he's a decent temporary filler while our youngsters develop. I think Gill will be asked to play too many minutes and is going to take a lot of crap from fans because of his movement and puck moving. The benefit of being 6'7, though, is that you take up a lot of space, so even as a pilon, he's still tough to get around.

Gill is a good player. He played a role on a Stanley Cup champion, and he'll play a role for us. If we put him as our top shutdown guy and give him 20-22 minutes, of course he'll be left exposed. Hamrlik is probably our top shutdown guy, as he has good size, mobility and passing. Markov is our workhorse. Spacek is a puckmover with a big shot, and Gorges and Gill will be the complimentary pieces, used to their strengths to help support the top guys.

Most of all, it'll be a team defensive effort. No more forcing Markov-Komisarek to do all the heavy lifting. I think looking at the roster you guys are forgetting we have a new coach and system coming into place. These guys will be forced to buy into Martin's system... they have no choice. Even if Markov or someone else is elected the team captain, Martin is the real leader of this team now. He'll fill the leadership void. The new guys will be his mouthpieces if neccesary.

And so much for the theory that you can't attract quality UFA's to Montreal.

Excellent commentary. And don't forget that Gainey has made it clear that he still needs a defenseman to complete the roster. We should look good on defense at the start of the season. Weber will probably make the team as the 7th defenseman. They'll take their time to break him in. Subban should start at Hamilton. With Boucher as a head cash, he should come along pretty well and will be ready for the later part of the sean. Subban has incredible talent. Just watch him play on YouTube. Mark my words: he will be a star.

JMO

Gill on the powerplay. You've GOT to be kidding. The man has one powerplay point in his entire NHL career. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the powerplay.

Sorry, I meant PK. :lol: