Habs UFA Thread

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job missing my entire point.

When someone like Bob says "We had the chance to change the face of our team, starting by Saku Koivu", and he doesnt even bother make him an offer; you know he couldnt wait to get rid of him. Probably has too much class to say why.

At last: The Koivu Era is Dead.

Finally!

I'm with PMAC on this one. Gainey has completely lost any respect the tens of millions of fans had for him up until a week ago.

- Any way you look at the Gomez trade, we overpaid for an overpaid player

- He blew his cap space within the first eight hours of UFA day, when free agents are notoriously more expensive, and screwed the team over for the next few years as well.

- He unceremoniously dumped a guy who, opinions aside, bled bleu blanc rouge for his entire career to date. We're talking about the one guy who tried hard night in, night out during the Houle years, a stain on the Habs' history, and through Savard's era, with naught but B-class wingers (at best!) to pass to.

Before I thought Gainey didn't make moves because he knew better. Now I realise Gainey didn't make moves because he didn't want to be discovered to be poor at trading or plain dumb at signing/resigning (complete list here).

Drafting seems to be his strongest point, and yet he has little say in the players chosen.

This is a lame duck GM who I, for one, will be happy to applaud out of office in favour of, hell, anyone? I'd take Patrick Roy in a heartbeat (because if Garth Snow can do it, why not?).

Gainey has lost any appearance of class by the way he has treated the peerless Koivu, as well as any remaining respect that was previously given to him by hockey fans, Quebecois-nuts (who'll freak out when they realise how many are left on the team now Tanguay, Begin and Brisebois have left) and old timey Habs fans.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

People here seem to think Gainey is irrational. He isn't. He over pays. He has a penchant for older players beyond their years. He is slow in acting. What he isn't is stupid or irrational. He didn't dump Koivu blindly. In fact, he probably held on far too long with Koivu due to the love of fans.

Before people shoot down Gainey, remember that this team self destructed. Remember how many coaches they have quit on in the last 7 years. Remember who the captain was. I firmly believe that Gainey had enough. He knows what is going on in his room. I think he saw first hand that his team was not a team, but a bunch of spoiled brats. If our vaulted captain can't bring the team together and help drive the system, then its time for him to go.

There is no doubt that Koivu played hard for this team. He had a remarkable recovery from cancer and was an inspiration in doing so. He is not the only hockey player to do this and it doesn't make him a great player, or a great team mate. It makes him a cancer survivor. His work with kids and hospitals makes him a great human. It doesn't mean he is a perfect captain, team mate, or player. It doesn't mean he fits what this team needs.

So in short.. Gainey didn't come to this decision lightly, so give him credit for having good reasons based on what he knows about what has been going on for the last few years.

As for Komi.. what do you people expect? Its time some of the people on this board grew up and realized this is a business. Stop dreaming that every prospect will be amazing, that every guy with the jersey on has the same irrational love of the team as we do. They are professionals. They choose teams for various reasons (family, money, pursuit of the cup, friends they want to play with, money, money, money), they rarely sign on out of loyalty. Teams also don't show loyalty, so why should players.

Aussie:

taking your trashtalk elements one by one :

unceremoniously dumped a guy

-Koivu at the end of the season said "we'll see" when asked if he'd come back. From then on, the blurbs I got all go towards BOTH PARTIES decided to part ways. Gainey called Koivu after the Gomez trade and Koivu said he was EXCITED about what was upcoming.

-Koivu is slowing down at a very fast pace and we were left with 2 2nd lines center. we HAD to do something at center. replace Koivu or Plek? at this stage in their respective careers, the choice is not hard to make. (particularly since Koivu is high maintenance while still slowing down, while Plek does whatever you ask him to do)

we overpaid for Gomez

-Find me a better Center than Gomez who would cost less on the trade Market (there were none available). Higgins had plateaued. and up to now, McDonagh is still "only a 1st round pick". Higgins + 1st + Russian expat. Yes it is a lot. But it's 1/4 of what it would have taken (allegedly) to land Lecavalier : Markov and Price (!) (various reports and rumours from last week after Barrie cancelled the deal). Gomez overpaid? yes he is. We overpaid? Unless you are a NHL GM who tried every team to try to get every center, you can't say that. really, you can't. What is the going price of a first line center Aussie? We're not at McDonald's.

he blew his cap space

-Again, how many years of experience do you have as NHL GM? I mean, you must be pretty experienced to know exactly when to spend on the UFA market, how to hold on and let them wait (and see them sign with other teams and then bash your head on the wall because you've not been aggressive enough.) I would be curious to track your posts from the years before to see what you had to say when Gainey got out of such and such derby for a UFA or when he lost to the last minute on another UFA because maybe he wasn't agressive enough. This year he was aggressive and you still blame him? Typical hot line grumpy fan.

People here seem to think Gainey is irrational. He isn't. He over pays. He has a penchant for older players beyond their years. He is slow in acting. What he isn't is stupid or irrational. He didn't dump Koivu blindly. In fact, he probably held on far too long with Koivu due to the love of fans.

Before people shoot down Gainey, remember that this team self destructed. Remember how many coaches they have quit on in the last 7 years. Remember who the captain was. I firmly believe that Gainey had enough. He knows what is going on in his room. I think he saw first hand that his team was not a team, but a bunch of spoiled brats. If our vaulted captain can't bring the team together and help drive the system, then its time for him to go.

There is no doubt that Koivu played hard for this team. He had a remarkable recovery from cancer and was an inspiration in doing so. He is not the only hockey player to do this and it doesn't make him a great player, or a great team mate. It makes him a cancer survivor. His work with kids and hospitals makes him a great human. It doesn't mean he is a perfect captain, team mate, or player. It doesn't mean he fits what this team needs.

So in short.. Gainey didn't come to this decision lightly, so give him credit for having good reasons based on what he knows about what has been going on for the last few years.

As for Komi.. what do you people expect? Its time some of the people on this board grew up and realized this is a business. Stop dreaming that every prospect will be amazing, that every guy with the jersey on has the same irrational love of the team as we do. They are professionals. They choose teams for various reasons (family, money, pursuit of the cup, friends they want to play with, money, money, money), they rarely sign on out of loyalty. Teams also don't show loyalty, so why should players.

Yes yes and YES.

As for Komi, he admitted yesterday that he never considered our offer. He didn't want to come back here.

Yes yes and YES.

As for Komi, he admitted yesterday that he never considered our offer. He didn't want to come back here.

Bull Shit! I listened to his interview on OTR, and Komisarek said that they went back to Bob and Bob said no to their counter offer.

BY the way, I've been listening to Tony Marinaro's show on the team 990, and Tony just said that Matt Keator went back to Bob Gainey after he received an offer from Brian Burke. He told Gainey that Komisarek would be willing to take less money for a longer term. Apparently, Keator asked for 4 million$ per year over 7 or 8 years, and Bob refused.

Tony Marinaro is one of the few trustworthy guys in this industry and if He says that his source is rock solid, I believe him.

I was just starting to accept that my Boy(Komisarek) had become a traitor and left for more money. But the fact is that he was willing to stay for less and Bob refused.

I will nover Forgive Bob for this!

I was irked when I first heard of how the Habs were parting ways with Koivu (deep down, I still am as I don't want to see him go), but I stumbled upon something yesterday that made me feel a little better about the situation.

Where will Saku Koivu end up? The betting money is obviously on Minnesota, although not as much for his burning desire to play with his brother Mikko as for the Wild's burning need for a No. 2 center. There definitely have been talks between the two camps, a source confirmed to ESPN.com. Then you wonder whether Saku wouldn't mind playing with his old buddy Teemu Selanne in Anaheim. Either way, there will be a new captain in Montreal next season. It's clear Saku is leaving the Habs but does so on good terms; a source said Koivu had a good chat with Canadiens GM Bob Gainey this week before free agency opened Wednesday.

If Koivu and Gainey had a 'good chat' and left on good terms, it stands to reason that Koivu was made fully aware of his and the team's situation moving forward. So the Habs didn't just let him walk without saying a word, it wasn't an unceremonious dumping, they just opted to not offer him a contract but at least it sounds as if Gainey explained why.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

That's not less money. 7 or 8 years at $4m per = $28-$32m. He signed for $22.5m.

I doubt Komi is going to be effective with the style he plays, especially to the tune of $4m per year, in 5 years, let alone 7 or 8. When Komi finishes this contract, I wouldn't be surprised if he's making just a million or two on his next deal. His prime will be over.

That's not less money. 7 or 8 years at $4m per = $28-$32m. He signed for $22.5m.

I doubt Komi is going to be effective with the style he plays, especially to the tune of $4m per year, in 5 years, let alone 7 or 8. When Komi finishes this contract, I wouldn't be surprised if he's making just a million or two on his next deal. His prime will be over.

4 million per year instead of 4.5 million per year is less on a per year basis... Stop being an ass! True the overall length of the contract was longer, but I still can't believe Bob let him walk over 2-3 years. Mike is JUST entering the Prime years of his career...it's not like he was 32 or 33 years old. By the end of the contract he would have been 34-35.

Think about this, 3.83 million$ for a 35 year old, or 4 million$ for a 27 year old??

Bob really fv.cked up. I want his head on a platter! :angry:

Yes yes and YES.

Bull Shit! I listened to his interview on OTR, and Komisarek said that they went back to Bob and Bob said no to their counter offer.

BY the way, I've been listening to Tony Marinaro's show on the team 990, and Tony just said that Matt Keator went back to Bob Gainey after he received an offer from Brian Burke. He told Gainey that Komisarek would be willing to take less money for a longer term. Apparently, Keator asked for 4 million$ per year over 7 or 8 years, and Bob refused.

Tony Marinaro is one of the few trustworthy guys in this industry and if He says that his source is rock solid, I believe him.

I was just starting to accept that my Boy(Komisarek) had become a traitor and left for more money. But the fact is that he was willing to stay for less and Bob refused.

I will nover Forgive Bob for this!

give me links and quotes. not that I'm not trusting you, but I found the total opposite.

He said that his time with Montreal was done and that he preferred to have a new start. That's exactly what I have read.

Also Bob Gainey said that Keaton NEVER replied to his initial offer.

give me links and quotes. not that I'm not trusting you, but I found the total opposite.

He said that his time with Montreal was done and that he preferred to have a new start. That's exactly what I have read.

Go to the Off the Record website and look at the Komisarek interview(july 2nd). I had provided a link in a previous post!

here it is!

http://watch.tsn.ca/off-the-record/off-the...y-2/#clip189673

He says the Habs were in it until the end. Something happenned during the negotiations for komisarek to say that he wanted a new start!

Like I said earlier. Tony doesn't spew all kinds of crap. When he says something, it's because he's checked his sources and he is almost always right. If Tony says that his source is Rock Solid, I believe him!

You guys seem to have a hard time believeing that Bob could make a mistake. You seem to think that what Bob does always turns into gold.

Wake up! Bob messed up on this from the beginning!!

Edited by Habsfan

Go to the Off the Record website and look at the Komisarek interview(july 2nd). I had provided a link in a previous post!

here it is!

http://watch.tsn.ca/off-the-record/off-the...y-2/#clip189673

He says the Habs were in it until the end. Something happenned during the negotiations for komisarek to say that he wanted a new start!

Like I said earlier. Tony doesn't spew all kinds of crap. When he says something, it's because he's checked his sources and he is almost always right. If Tony says that his source is Rock Solid, I believe him!

You guys seem to have a hard time believeing that Bob could make a mistake. You seem to think that what Bob does always turns into gold.

Wake up! Bob messed up on this from the beginning!!

speaker do not work at work (weird sentence) but I think I heard this one.

my understanding was that he PREFERED to go to Toronto, not for a matter of cash, but for a matter of Burkie promises (in another post, I'm referring to him as a 90's Quintal or a 06 Souray, wanting more responsibility and wanting to be the go-to guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see him log PP time (as I said, I think Burkie promised him that)

but for a matter of Burkie promises

Penses-y un moment.

Would Komisarek go on a TORONTO tv show and say that his first choice was to stay in Montreal? Of course not!

But he asked for a long term contract(at a lower amount than what he took in Toronto), and for some stupid reason, Bob refused!

4 million per year instead of 4.5 million per year is less on a per year basis... Stop being an ass! True the overall length of the contract was longer, but I still can't believe Bob let him walk over 2-3 years. Mike is JUST entering the Prime years of his career...it's not like he was 32 or 33 years old. By the end of the contract he would have been 34-35.

Think about this, 3.83 million$ for a 35 year old, or 4 million$ for a 27 year old??

If he signed him up for 8 years, that would be a nightmare. That is too much money for a guy with no offense and even stats. He is prone to bad penalties, etc.

If this is Komi's prime, I certainly wouldn't lock him up long term. I would want to see him prove he is a top guy. Term is everything these days. If he asked for 5 years for $4 mill, then maybe. He didn't. He wanted a long term deal which rarely works out for the club.

If he signed him up for 8 years, that would be a nightmare. That is too much money for a guy with no offense and even stats. He is prone to bad penalties, etc.

If this is Komi's prime, I certainly wouldn't lock him up long term. I would want to see him prove he is a top guy. Term is everything these days. If he asked for 5 years for $4 mill, then maybe. He didn't. He wanted a long term deal which rarely works out for the club.

Not if you frontload the contract. Offer him more money on the first 5-6 years, and very little on the last two years. If he sucks when he's 34 or 35, then you can buy him out!

You guys keep using his last 4 months in a Habs uniform to bash the guy. He was still injured! Not many of you were complaining during the 07-08 season!

Not if you frontload the contract. Offer him more money on the first 5-6 years, and very little on the last two years. If he sucks when he's 34 or 35, then you can buy him out!

You guys keep using his last 4 months in a Habs uniform to bash the guy. He was still injured! Not many of you were complaining during the 07-08 season!

Bob said he was healthy back then. He said the problem was "between his ears." And if he was still hurt, physical d-men with nagging injury issues fizzle out over time. Look at what happened to guys like Scott Hannan, Jay McKee, and Derian Hatcher when they switched teams via free agency... the wear and tear got to them quickly and they never produced anywhere near the level that got them the contract. Spacek is still effective at 35 because he relies on skill, not physical play. Guys like Komisarek rarely last even into their early 30's at an effective level. Remember when Quintal left for big money from the Rangers?

I like the guy, but the contract was definitely a risky one.

Dont start jumping on Spacek before he has even played a game for the team. If yer more Komi-fan than Habs-fan maybe its time to go to a leafs board.

About my earlier comment. Seems Cap Room wont be the winner of the conn smythe this year. WAY TO GO BOB, Finally using the cap room signing some impact players.

Edited by Dalhabs

If yer more Komi-fan than Habs-fan maybe its time to go to a leafs board.

Please, how pathetic is that? Just because i'm pissed off at Bob, doesn't mean I don't like the habs anymore. How many habs Games a year do you attend?

Just because i don't have pink coloured glasses like many people, doesn't mean i'm not allowed to critisize Bob. He fv.cked up!

Please, how pathetic is that? Just because i'm pissed off at Bob, doesn't mean I don't like the habs anymore. How many habs Games a year do you attend?

Just because i don't have pink coloured glasses like many people, doesn't mean i'm not allowed to critisize Bob. He fv.cked up!

Since I live in sweden and dont own my own jet I have to say none but I watch a fair amount on tv. what does that has to do with it?

Since I live in sweden and dont own my own jet I have to say none but I watch a fair amount on tv. what does that has to do with it?

My point is, before you start judging people on if they are "good enough" Habsfans, you should take a look at yourself.

You don't know me. You don't know that I am lucky enough to go to about 10 games per year. That I watch about 78 games per year. That I buy merchandise. That I read all the papers(at least the articles that have to do with the habs). That my buddies and I have gtet together's on Saturday nights to watch games.

Before you go off and tell someone that he should cheer for the laughs, you might wanna get to know the person first! :rolleyes:

Dont start jumping on Spacek before he has even played a game for the team. If yer more Komi-fan than Habs-fan maybe its time to go to a leafs board.

About my earlier comment. Seems Cap Room wont be the winner of the conn smythe this year. WAY TO GO BOB, Finally using the cap room signing some impact players.

Spacek was huge in the Oilers cup run. Everyone here in Northen Alberta was disapointed when he signed with Bufalo. It is really funny because Souray refused to sign with us and went to Edmonton. And now Spacek is here. I don't know if Spacek refused to sign with the Oilers. He signed on the 5th of July, so I would say they never offered him a deal.

Edited by BCHabnut

but for a matter of Burkie promises

Penses-y un moment.

Would Komisarek go on a TORONTO tv show and say that his first choice was to stay in Montreal? Of course not!

But he asked for a long term contract(at a lower amount than what he took in Toronto), and for some stupid reason, Bob refused!

Seriously though Komi is fairly useless, he is a 1 dimensional dman. All he does really well is block shots, thats it!! If Bob had signed a guy who can only block shots to a 8 year 32 mil deal then Bob would have really fv.ucked up. :lol:

Watch the Laffs next year, it will be funny. Burke is clueless if he signed Komi because he thinks he's tough. Komi is the biggest joke in the NHL, and a lot of Habs fans for some silly reason think Komi is tough. 6'5 240 lbs tough guys dont routinely get their ass handed to them by guys they have 20+ lbs on. Komi gets tonnes of penalties, he actually averages more PIM than Pronger, which is quite the accomplishment considering the league voted Pronger the dirtiest guy in the game. Burke should have went after Beauchemin because he is what Burke wanted. I'm pretty sure Burke didnt want the largest whimp in the NHL who punches like a girl, gets tonnes of penalties, who can really only blocks shots.

Every column I read today, every analyst I heard REALLY interpreted Komi has WANTING to leave Montreal. NOT blaming Bob for not doing enough. Again, 2 minutes ago, I read that Bob LEARNED that Komi had accepted the Leafs offer on the NEWS WIRE... how is that "good faith" negotiation from Komi? How can you "know for sure" that Komi wanted to come back here if he didn't try to have Bob TOP THAT OFFER?

So I find it weird that only that TSN blurb has it the other way around and that you choose to believe TSN.

If you want to be pissed at Bob because Komi choose to quit on us, that's your own business, but don't BASH other members for not believing your nonsense.

The guy had no willingness to really NEGOTIATE with the habs.