Habs UFA Thread

So. Bob bought (and traded for) small and skilled top talent, then put in a supporting cast of big, projectable (Mara), mean and Burke-like.

And for that, we lost Komi - who would have taken a couple of those new roster spots with his salary, a few aging stars, and McD.

Looking better by the minute. This is a lunchbucket team. My kinda team. Only a shame that Saku couldn't have had this kind of support when he was younger and healthier.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word has it Moen got a 3 year $4.5M or $1.5M cap hit.

Mara has a $1.9M contract

We're definitely going to clear out some cap space.

Maybe a Hamrlik trade is coming up. That, or we dump Metropolit and we choose all the cheapest of our young, marginal AHLers and then somehow get under the cap by like 3 bucks.

Pleks on his way out? I mean couldnt Lapierre play on the 3rd and we could use someone in Hamilton as our 4th centre like Chipchura or someone?

Pleks will most likely get to big pay from arbitration anyway.

I love signing these guys in their 20s (but then it sucks when your Komi walks away at 27).

Mara's a 29 year old, 20+ point 6'4 d-man (of course, he's probably only going to be here for one season) and Moen's a 27 year old 6'2 bottom 6 forward that can fight. (Cammalleri's also 27 and we just locked him up for 5 years.)

Despite the complaints about how weak our D is, I think it's the best group in the Conference. Thanks to additions like Spacek and Mara, we have plenty of guys that can play on the PP and the PK, unlike last year where we had to ditch a 2nd for Schneider.

+1

"Ta defensive est ta meilleure defensive"

Edited by rafikz

We're definitely going to clear out some cap space.

Maybe a Hamrlik trade is coming up. That, or we dump Metropolit and we choose all the cheapest of our young, marginal AHLers and then somehow get under the cap by like 3 bucks.

It really depends on the RFA's at this point.

Plex and his numbers are the difference makers right now and I'm sure Plex is liking the direction the team is going in (giving him a big role to be had) if he is smart he would take a cheaper shorter deal to make more later on.... or he can get a reward now and have Gainey walk away :D

So. Bob bought (and traded for) small and skilled top talent, then put in a supporting cast of big, projectable (Mara), mean and Burke-like.

And for that, we lost Komi - who would have taken a couple of those new roster spots with his salary, a few aging stars, and McD.

Looking better by the minute. This is a lunchbucket team. My kinda team. Only a shame that Saku couldn't have had this kind of support when he was younger and healthier.

yeah I agree colin this is beginning to look real good. Smurf land with an extreme edge. :rolleyes: :hlogo:

Can someone tell me how much caproom we have to resign the RFA's and who still needs to be resigned?

Now that I have confirmation on Moen (1.5) and Mara (1.675), I'm going to put an article together outlining the salary situation. Stay tuned. :)

Now that I have confirmation on Moen (1.5) and Mara (1.675), I'm going to put an article together outlining the salary situation. Stay tuned. :)

The suspense is too much, Brian.

And to think there's a whole summer left.

AAAAH I wanna see if this team is a winner or loser. I have high hopes but Im also thinking alot about the old Rangers signing all stars and still missing the playoffs year after year. Could it be too much changes and it will take 3-4 months before they play like a team?

It really depends on the RFA's at this point.

Plex and his numbers are the difference makers right now and I'm sure Plex is liking the direction the team is going in (giving him a big role to be had) if he is smart he would take a cheaper shorter deal to make more later on.... or he can get a reward now and have Gainey walk away :D

I don't expect him to make less than 2.5M. If he gets rewarded something like 3 million and Gainey lets him hit free agency, I'll be very upset. For one thing, who's going to replace him, Maxwell? And then there are only so many young, home-grown assets hitting their prime that we can spare to lose. I bet he'd get scooped up by Toronto, too.

AAAAH I wanna see if this team is a winner or loser. I have high hopes but Im also thinking alot about the old Rangers signing all stars and still missing the playoffs year after year. Could it be too much changes and it will take 3-4 months before they play like a team?

ya know i'm thinking this is a veteran squad chosen for their specific attributes. They were hand picked by bob to play together, I really think this team will gel quickly and be damn tough to play against.

I don't expect him to make less than 2.5M. If he gets rewarded something like 3 million and Gainey lets him hit free agency, I'll be very upset. For one thing, who's going to replace him, Maxwell? And then there are only so many young, home-grown assets hitting their prime that we can spare to lose. I bet he'd get scooped up by Toronto, too.

how much did Higgins get resigned for in NY? that should be what Plek gets.

$2.25M

But Higgins never said he was "playing like a little girl" either ^_^

Probably, but Pleks, unlike Higgins, has managed to stay healthy and has that big 69 point season under his belt. Even while slumping this season, he hit the 20 goal mark. He also has the advantage going into arbitration. I see what Higgins got as the minimum that Plekanec can be awarded.

Well can't we pull off a trade rather than losing Plekanec for nothing? Pleks and Hamrlik for Arnott would be a dream come true.

I came very close to restoring my CAC 1915-16 avatar. People were ripping Gainey badly and I decided to be patient and wait. It was difficult. I almost lost faith. It's hard to defend a guy when it feels like the whole universe is against you. Couple that with Leaf fans taunting at work and they have been laughing...yeah, seriously nasty laughs. They can be jerks sometimes but they are particularly more critical right now. Ever since July 1.

But now I'm glad and proud that I kept the Lone Ranger BOb avatar. Leaf fans were visably annoyed with these signings today. In their hockey minds, whatever "one ups" or "we are better than you" took some nasty hits. :clap: They're not responding well at all :) I told one of them to "stick that in your pipe and smoke it" :lol:

TRUST IN BOb!!! :hlogo:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

And now the grandest question of all: how long until this group gets comfortable together? Lots of new faces, fortunately Bob pulled together two, at least, who had experience together.

Nice signings, adds good depth.

Though we got what we paid for. Moen is sort of a bigger, LW version of Kostopoulos; or a Gregory Stewart that's not afraid to fight.

Mara always was some sort of underachiever. He had all the tools to be a superstar D, but he lacks an edge in his game. He reminds me of Malakhov sometimes. But he's a legit top 4 D and he's fairly decent on the PP. We can finally say we have quality depth at D.

The best in all this is that it pretty much guarantees that Andrei Kostitsyn goes back to the RW... and that we wont see too much of O'Burned/Gorges.

So, I was wondering... what are the lines now??????

Camms - Gomez - Gionta

A.Kost - Pleks - S.Kost

Moen - Laps - Lats

Laraque - Metro - Pacioretty?? (I would rather have him play than Stewart.)

Be in suspense no more...

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1811

I tried to make it as simplistic as I could, however, we all know that the cap is far from simple. :)

Where's Plekanec in all of this? There's that clown rumour lying garbage site that says Gainey is offering and/or receiving Plekanec rights in a trade with VAN or SJ. Also a Czech newspaper recently ran an interview with Tomas and he stated (in short) he wanted to remain in Montreal. He said he tried hard but with the injuries and the whole team it was hard. He'd like to do better and pointed out that he did manage 20 goals in spite of the season of disaster.

RFA sheet bonanza is opening next Wednesday, July 15th. It's time for round 2 of this free agent madness.

Where's Plekanec in all of this? There's that clown rumour lying garbage site that says Gainey is offering and/or receiving Plekanec rights in a trade with VAN or SJ. Also a Czech newspaper recently ran an interview with Tomas and he stated (in short) he wanted to remain in Montreal. He said he tried hard but with the injuries and the whole team it was hard. He'd like to do better and pointed out that he did manage 20 goals in spite of the season of disaster.

RFA sheet bonanza is opening next Wednesday, July 15th. It's time for round 2 of this free agent madness.

Offer sheets can occur any time, July 15th is the deadline for prospects to accept their QO's. I think Stewart will, possibly D'Agostini, and the Habs will work hard with Chipchura to get him to sign below his QO (making a 1-way offer, possibly a 2-year deal). Latendresse and Plekanec (who I did note in that article) will both reject.