Habs UFA Thread

That spells the end of Plex? :clap:

Not even close. This guy needs probably 2 years of AHL grooming.

Plex right now is our 2nd line centre. No guy who was a 2nd/3rd line centre from the Elitseren last year is going to be able to replace him right out of the gate.

BTW, this is now contract #42 out of a maximum of 50, and we have 5 RFA's waiting to be singed (Plekanec, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Stewart, Belle). So we're kind of at 47 contracts. Not a lot of new signings should be expected from here on in, barring trades.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not even close. This guy needs probably 2 years of AHL grooming.

Plex right now is our 2nd line centre. No guy who was a 2nd/3rd line centre from the Elitseren last year is going to be able to replace him right out of the gate.

BTW, this is now contract #42 out of a maximum of 50, and we have 5 RFA's waiting to be singed (Plekanec, Latendresse, D'Agostini, Stewart, Belle). So we're kind of at 47 contracts. Not a lot of new signings should be expected from here on in, barring trades.

awww man, as long as we get rid of Kitty-Plex

OR

he proves us he can play like a man.

heck, I suck at playing hockey, I'm light-weight as no one can imagine, I'm not strong, but I play like a raging bulldog (when I'm not trying to catch my breath!)

That spells the end of Plex? :clap:

From the Djurgården website (roughly translated):

"Andreas Engqvist has signed a contract with Montreal Canadiens, but he will play in Djurgården for at least next season. Djurgårdens agreement with Montreal means that Andreas will play throughout the season 2009/10 in Djurgården, without the opportunity for Montreal to call him over for the NHL or AHL.

http://difhockey.se/nyhet.php?news=5861 (First paragraph)

Sounds like he'll be at training camp, though. He'll get a chance to make the Habs (which is a big time longshot) but if he doesn't he'll go back to Sweden and not to the AHL. He has one year left on his Elitseren contract, so that's why there's the issue. He should at least get into some preseason games before going back.

Sounds like he'll be at training camp, though. He'll get a chance to make the Habs (which is a big time longshot) but if he doesn't he'll go back to Sweden and not to the AHL. He has one year left on his Elitseren contract, so that's why there's the issue. He should at least get into some preseason games before going back.

Cyberpresse say he won't even be at the training camp this year.

From the Djurgården website (roughly translated):

http://difhockey.se/nyhet.php?news=5861 (First paragraph)

For the 7th or 8th time now.... I know he isn't playing here next year.

You found out about him a week ago, I have known about him and his potential signing this summer for 3 months or more now; My comment of him replacing Plex had nothing to do with this season (as I told you he told his coaches in sweden he would be back for his last year of his contract despite the out clause for the NHL), I doubt Plex gets much over a 1 year contract because of it.

"Not even close. This guy needs probably 2 years of AHL grooming."

Engqvist will take next year and then come over. Where he plays is anyones guess but I can't see the habs wasting an entry level contract on 1 season in sweden and two more on the farm

Edited by Habitforming

I doubt Plex gets much over a 1 year contract because of it.

"Not even close. This guy needs probably 2 years of AHL grooming."

Engqvist will take next year and then come over. Where he plays is anyones guess but I can't see the habs wasting an entry level contract on 1 season in sweden and two more on the farm

I don't think Plekanec will get a multi-year deal either, but arbitration may be a significant factor as well. Also, I wouldn't call him playing a season overseas and then going to the AHL a waste of an ELC. If Weber spends the majority of the season in Hamilton again this year then makes it to the Habs for 2010-11, it's not a waste of an ELC, it's 2 development years. I don't think it'd be catastrophic if one of those years had to be spent overseas; heck, that might be beneficial considering the strength of the SEL.

I don't think Plekanec will get a multi-year deal either, but arbitration may be a significant factor as well. Also, I wouldn't call him playing a season overseas and then going to the AHL a waste of an ELC. If Weber spends the majority of the season in Hamilton again this year then makes it to the Habs for 2010-11, it's not a waste of an ELC, it's 2 development years. I don't think it'd be catastrophic if one of those years had to be spent overseas; heck, that might be beneficial considering the strength of the SEL.

As far as NHL teams are concerned, not weaing the NHL jersey during an entire 3 year ELC is an utter waste.

As far as NHL teams are concerned, not weaing the NHL jersey during an entire 3 year ELC is an utter waste.

I'll give you that much, though 2 years doesn't seem too bad, lots of guys take 2 full AHL years to develop.

Then Detroit sure wastes a lot of contracts.

Ugh

Another of these "Detroit develops prospects better than anyone in NHL history" types.

Search the posts, it's been said and proven in the past. :rolleyes:

Ugh

Another of these "Detroit develops prospects better than anyone in NHL history" types.

Search the posts, it's been said and proven in the past. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that, I said they wait. Not having a player in the NHL by the end of their ELC is not a waste. It's called letting players develop at their own pace. It's also called allocating your resources in a cap world: if a player can be sent freely to the AHL, then generally speaking, that's probably where they should be. There are exceptions to the rule, but Montreal has had too many of these "exceptions" in recent years.

And when a player comes off their ELC (having not cracked the NHL), they end up signing dirt cheap cap friendly contracts at 23-24 years old like Chipchura did. Heck, a couple years ago the Canucks signed Alex Burrows to a 3 year deal for the league minimum coming off his ELC. He felt so cheated by the Canucks on that deal that he signed a 4 year, $2m per extension with them before hitting free agency. It is simply called asset management.