Habs UFA Thread

Just confirmed, Bob offered Mike $4m a year. When Toronto made it 4.5 Mike wanted $5m from Montreal due to the taxes and Montreal said no.

KOmi at $5m is too much!

Did he ask for 5M after we had already signed Spacek and Gill? There isn't much we could have done in that situation.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few notes from me...

Regarding the cap, I'll make a note of it when I write my recap for the day (I'm going to take a holiday from the site one of these days...). I haven't started it yet, so it'll be a few hours.

On the QO's from earlier (I'm too lazy to go back and find these posts, I think it was on Page 3), Aubin, O. Latendresse, and Lacasse were released by the team, they're all UFA's.

I was watching Sportsnet at 6, it was reported that Komisarek wanted $5.5 M to re-sign with Montreal, and took less to go to Toronto. How much of this is Gainey's fault...and how much of it was Komisarek not wanting to come back? When you accept less to go to a rival, it says he probably didn't want to come back after all...

Cammalleri, I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but he's not a bad C, over 50% a couple years ago as a full-time C. I know he's geared to play alongside Gomez, but depending on how things play out, he could be the #2 C for all we know.

Komi should now be called Habs ennemy #1.

I can't understand that move from Komisarek.

The Leafs are 3 seasons away from being competitive.

What does he love about Toronto that he would dislike about Montreal ??

Does he just enjoy being boooooed 6 times a year ??? (cuz yes, habs fans will booo him in Toronto...)

yeah I can believe everything you say Thank the Gods Bob is running this team.

Really, Thank the Gods?

Trading Ribeiro for Niinimaa, who was lost for nothing a year later; and then going out and giving Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko for a C who is essentially a) same size as Ribeiro, b) same age as Ribeiro, c) same production as Ribeiro, d) same game style as Ribeiro; but for 3M$ more?

That's more of a cruel joke the Gods are playing on us.

Really, Thank the Gods?

Trading Ribeiro for Niinimaa, who was lost for nothing a year later; and then going out and giving Higgins, McDonagh and Valentenko for a C who is essentially a) same size as Ribeiro, b) same age as Ribeiro, c) same production as Ribeiro, d) same game style as Ribeiro; but for 3M$ more?

That's more of a cruel joke the Gods are playing on us.

for crying out loud Ribs was a punk in montreal, ok he grew up a little in dallas. He was going nowhere here and no one else wanted him at that time. We needed a defenceman due to injuries more than we need a punk. Bob would have taken less than NiNima to get rid of him. Valentenko bailed on this team after giving them some song and dance so they would pay his ticket to Russia and then he ######s the team by signing with the khl. oh Yeah lets keep him. So you got higgins and Mcdo for Gomez. I hate losing Mcdo but he is at least 3 years away from making this team. Gomez is better than higgins.That makes it a good deal. Do I hate the Cap hit Yes but tell me who he was supposed to sign ?Where are all these 6'3 in 240 lbs centers that we can sign for a song. Please lets go get 5 of them. This is real life and decisions have to be made if you are going to change this team Bob had the balls to do it. You don't. Thank the gods for Bob.

name the last guy joey beat up on.

I don't give a rats ass if Thornton hasn't beat up on anyone, it doesn't change the fact the Komi injured Thornton(who is 6'3" and well over 210 pds) with one bodycheck.

It doesn't change the fact that he's lead the league in Hits and blocked shots for the past 3 seasons. That he has great LEADERSHIP, was groomed in the organization and was a good stay at Home d-man. Bob isn'T willing to overpay by 500,000$ for him??? Yet Bob is willing to dish out 7.5 million$ for a panzy ass loser who won't even score 20 goals??? In case you didn't know, he's scored more than 16 goals twice in his 10 year career!!!

Bob fv.cked up big time and I want him fired!

Were gonna have a nice little team again with Camalerri at 5'9" and Gomez at 5'11" and Plekanec at 5'10" and Metropolit at 5'11"...a nice little team that will get it's ass beaten up by the Flyers, the Bruins and a few other teams!

Edited by Habsfan

Well... let's try to find some positives here...

He's big, long reach... so... uuuhh... it means we wont need O'Burned anymore. And... uuuh... well Gill just won a Cup, so he'll have some shiny bling-bling to show the other players... and... uuhhmmm... he knows the East Conference pretty well... like, all the good restaurants and stuff... and... hmmm... he's American, so he should... feel at home with the Habs... and, uuuuh... uhhh... did I say he was big? Like, REAL big. Martin had success with Chara, so maybe some sort of special voodoo big d-man tactic here.

Cammalleri said the Habs acquisition of Gomez played a factor in his decision

-source: TFP Twitter

That's why i thought Gainey swallowed that poison pill of a contract for Gomez...a free agent magnet.

I think it may be the key in having one of the busiest July 1st in recent memory...well that and all the money we had to spend :lol:

Edited by mineral

I don't give a rats ass if Thornton hasn't beat up on anyone, it doesn't change the fact the Komi injured Thornton(who is 6'3" and well over 210 pds) with one bodycheck.

It doesn't change the fact that he's lead the league in Hits and blocked shots for the past 3 seasons. That he has great LEADERSHIP, was groomed in the organization and was a good stay at Home d-man. Bob isn'T willing to overpay by 500,000$ for him??? Yet Bob is willing to dish out 7.5 million$ for a panzy ass loser who won't even score 20 goals??? In case you didn't know, he's scored more than 16 goals twice in his 10 year career!!!

Were gonna have a nice little team again with Camalerri at 5'9" and Gomez at 5'11" and Plekanec at 5'10" and Metropolit at 5'11"...a nice little team that will get it's ass beaten up by the Flyers, the Bruins and a few other teams!

So I guess you would have been cheering for Philly in the 75-76 Cup Finals, then? Size doesn't win cups. Good hockey players win cups.

How much money we got left?

Roughly 10M$

And if you consider that:

Gomez = Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Hill = Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

We still have to replace Kovalev, Lang, Higgins, Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandeneault, Kostopoulos. Pacioretty should step in for Higgins, and Weber step in for Breezer, but there still lot of bodies left to get.

Cammalleri said the Habs acquisition of Gomez played a factor in his decision

-source: TFP Twitter

That's why i thought Gainey swallowed that poison pill of a contract for Gomez...a free agent magnet.

I think it may be the key in having one of the busiest July 1st in recent memory...well that and all the money we had to spend :lol:

Now that's what I call Moving Day

Roughly 10M$

Gomez = Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Hill = Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

We still have to replace Kovalev, Lang, Higgins, Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandeneault, Kostopoulos. Pacioretty should step in for Higgins, and Weber step in for Breezer, but there still lot of bodies left to get.

We don't need replacements for Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault and Lang (or Kostopoulos, but I'd love to have him back). The team is already pretty much set in those areas (D and C).

Kovalev or a replacement RW does need to be added to the roster though. With one, we're in pretty good shape. Without one, we have Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Stewart and Laraque on the right side. I don't trust Dags (or Skost) as a 2nd liner.

gomez is 10x tougher than thornton , how did he get to be a pansy ass?

Roughly 10M$

Gomez = Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Hill = Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

we are going to sign Kovy and really nobody else on that list is of much consequence as Bob has said

Lang may be finished and if not is not worth big money at his age and i love the guy sign him for 1 or 2 years at 1 - 2 million Bouillion not getting a contract or at least not for the same money as last year Brisebois? who cares 750 tops Dandeneault, not at the money he got last year. You maybe did not hear Bob when he said there were only 4 or 5 spots open on this team for this year. He just signed 4 guys how many spots do you think there are?

We don't need replacements for Bouillon, Brisebois, Dandenault and Lang (or Kostopoulos, but I'd love to have him back). The team is already pretty much set in those areas (D and C).

Kovalev or a replacement RW does need to be added to the roster though. With one, we're in pretty good shape. Without one, we have Kostitsyn, D'Agostini, Stewart and Laraque on the right side. I don't trust Dags (or Skost) as a 2nd liner.

Gomez, Plekanec, Lapierre, Metropolit as your center line? Wont work. At this point, if getting a big C is so damn hard, just take Latendresse and move him to C.

BTW, Stewart is a LW. We actually are down to D'Agostini, SKostisyn and Laraque on the right. Camaro, Pacio, Latendro, AKo on the left. 46 should play on the RW anyway, so Stewdio moves to 4th...

Cammalleri - Gomez - A. Kositsyn

Latendresse - Lapierre - D'Agostini

Pacioretty - Plekanec - S. Kositsyn

Stewart - Metropolit - Laraque

Markov - Hill

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gorges - O'Byrne/Weber

Bleah. It's worse than last season. I dont see anything in there that's better than what we had last season. Same small creampuffs forwards except for 2-3 of them, same weak 3rd pair...

Who's our go-to guy? Cammalleri? And where's our secondary scoring supposed to come from? The RW is weak as sh*t.

And I dont get adding two left-side D's in Hill & Spacek when we already have Markov, Hamrlik and Gorges there; and we're losing 3 right-side D's in Komisarek, Schneider and Brisebois. WTF?!