Did we get better?

JLP

Curious on people's impressions at this point. Going forward as of July 2, are the Habs now a better team than they were in May?

Curious on people's impressions at this point. Going forward as of July 2, are the Habs now a better team than they were in May?

Today? Yes. Martin will install a system and Gainey has installed players who have worked effectively within a system before.

My concern is will they be a better team in two seasons if the cap drops.

I've got mixed emotions on this... but I think yes.

We've got a bona-fide first line now, and a real coach who (hopefully) can impose a real system. I think the D is more solid, and that our G should do better as a result.

I just hope everyone can pull on the same rope, and that we're done with all the locker-room drama.

That is my chief concern as well. It ranks just above our first line's size.

They are different.

LOL

(stating the obvious)

It remains to be seen on the ice, but my take is that NOW, we can all skate in the same direction.

The former team editions had Ribeiro and Kovalev wanting puck possession, Sammy cycling forever, hogging the puck, Koivu and Kovalev totally incompatible, tanguay a playmaker on a team with already too many playmaker, Lang a scoring center at the end of the line, etc.

We never really had a formula to have it click 100%

With this team, with these new guys, I'm pretty confident that we have an identity, that we will see chemistry, that we will see team spirit, systemic play, tight games, exciting games, etc.

I think they will work harder as a team. They have to get Kost and Plek buy the "new" team, but aside from that, I'm sure Guillaume, Maxime and Max Pax will fit nicely.

Today? Yes. Martin will install a system and Gainey has installed players who have worked effectively within a system before.

85% of last year's level of season tickets are already sold with 4 months remaining. (85% is big in any circumstances, let alone the actual circumstances!!)

That's why Gainey made those moves NOW. What I got is that he is (they are, the team board, etc) confident that no team will be in trouble with the cap in October or next summer, cause at this point they no more believe that the cap will drop or that the drop will be "big"

Not really sure we are better?

We are more talented, that's for sure, but with the lack of size up front, we will get our asses beaten up real good on some nights(especially against Boston and Philly)!

The defensive corps is about the same as last year.

I don't know about getting beaten up. I think the new players are grittier then the last bunch, way faster then the last bunch. Yes smaller as well.

This is now where Laraque, Stewart need to earn there money. Know one should be taken advantage of.

The D is tougher as well.

Yes they are better.

Some of you guys already posted it but I think this will be a tighter bunch, better locker romm, better work ethic.

Yes, we are better, we have the best forward corps we've had in years, and the D should be comparable to last year (I would bring Dandenault back for another year just to solidify the situation).

The real issue here is that there is no more room for error, because we're so tight against the cap AND our most expensive players are signed for a minimum of 3 years. If help is needed, it's going to have to come from within.

We are better and we are going to get even better. Gainey has not finished his job yet. Another defenseman will be added to the line-up. There will be a real opportunity for some younger guys to play a role, and there will be a better system and a solid leadership to break them in.

Yes. We are definitely a better team. A lot faster, a lot more solid on defense.

JMHO

Yes, we are better, we have the best forward corps we've had in years, and the D should be comparable to last year (I would bring Dandenault back for another year just to solidify the situation).

The real issue here is that there is no more room for error, because we're so tight against the cap AND our most expensive players are signed for a minimum of 3 years. If help is needed, it's going to have to come from within.

If Dandy is willing to play for cheap and within a limited role, I'd be all for it.

Overall? yes

My only problem is the cap; Gomez is expensive and I still can not believe Bob gave that much money to Gill

Nothing wrong with those 2 as players, but they eat up a lof of cap room.

Which sucks, because we could have gotten even better if we had anough $$$ left to keep Kovalev/Tanguay

Edited by rafikz

85% of last year's level of season tickets are already sold with 4 months remaining. (85% is big in any circumstances, let alone the actual circumstances!!)

That's why Gainey made those moves NOW. What I got is that he is (they are, the team board, etc) confident that no team will be in trouble with the cap in October or next summer, cause at this point they no more believe that the cap will drop or that the drop will be "big"

BUt what are the numbers in Tampa/Atlanta/Phoenix.

As far as size goes, if the Habs stick to their own system, it shouldn't matter. Datsuk, Helm Hudler, and Filpula are all lil fellers, but when you want to hit them the puck is long gone off their stick. Passed to a teamate who is always open. I guess Helm got rocked hard a couple times in the playoffs, but you get my point.

As much as seeing Komi go breaks my heart, (favourite player for the last two years) 5 million to keep a 2 goal 8 assist guy is a little insane. Gill's +- is quite good, and I was impressed with his play in Pittsburgh. He also scored 2 goals and had 8 asssists last year.

It's Kovy who I'm going to miss. I understand the signing of Gomez. It hurts, but what do you do? There is nobody out there to trade for or sign, so you get who's available. Now, Gionta is a confusing one. We would rather have that little dwarf than Kovy? He will buy Martin's system. He had chemistry with Gomez. He would probably look great with Cammeleri. But 5 million for a half pint 20 goal scorer? WTF? I hope it works. I have never been loyal to too many players after leaving the Habs, but I loved Kovy. He reminds me of the 80s version of Lafleur. Especially when he get's his helmet knocked off.

If this expensive experiment does not work, Gainey should be fired. I have never bashed him, but it's true.

Another thing: Cammalleri, Gomez, and Gionta have not had any major injuries. Kovalev generally stayed healthy, but Tanguay and Koivu could be counted on to miss at least 15 games a year. Spacek and Gill have generally played most of the year as well. It can all change in a hurry, but you have to be encouraged by their durability thus far. When we got Tanguay, we knew we were getting a guy that was pretty brittle. Higgins had injury problems as well (which changed his play, IMO) and now he's gone.

I'm hearing a lot about us putting up top dollar for 2nd line talent. I can see the argument, but really, it's not like the guys we lost were 1st line talent, either. I think Cammalleri is a genuine first line player, while Gomez and Gionta CAN be first line players. Gomez has always needed a first line talent to compliment his game, and I think with Cammalleri he will have it. Gomez was a first line centre with Elias. I think he will be again with Cammalleri.

Cammalleri is the key. Yes, he cashed in on a career year thus far. But he also had 81 points at 25 years old on an offensively challenged LA team. So in 2 of the last 3 years he had around 80 points and over 30 goals, for two different teams with different linemates. That's a first liner, IMO.

I think Wamsley and saskhab called it. This team will be significantly better, especially when you factor in Martin's coaching. Size is certainly a major issue, but it's not the size of the dog that really counts, it's the fight in him. Cammalleri and Gionta and even Gomez are scrappy speedsters who won't be intimidated. That goes a long way.

Cammalleri is the pick-up I'm most excited about. This kid is only 27 and already has two 30+-goal seasons on two different teams. If Gomez were not overpaid I think people would be really excited at having one of the league's very best and fastest playmakers around. The risky element for me is Gionta, who will have to do better than 20 goals if he is not to be counted as overpaid by at least $1 mil. But there's a high upside there; a significant gamble but an interesting one.

I'm somewhat worried about the D (not panicking, but uneasy). I certainly don't think it will be worse than it was last year with a damaged Komisarek - it'll be hard for any D to be worse than ours was last year - but I'd sure feel better if we had a healthy Komi out there. This D stands to be totally overwhelmed down low by power forwards. The only hope is that between Markov, Spacek, Weber and Gorges we can play a quick breakout game and effective zone coverage - so efficient and speedy that power forwards won't have the time to start bulldozing us. This is basically a patchwork D. Doesn't mean it will be bad, but it's hard to see it as being above average, at least in terms of talent.

More broadly, I'm kinda disgusted by the media's piling on. The general tone is one of sheer dismissive contempt. Dutatschek (sp?) in The Globe today dismissively says we're not a playoff team. I find this quite a stretch. They seem to be assuming that none of our younger players (Kostitsyns, Plekanec, Price, Latendresse, Weber, even O'Bryne) can possibly do better than last year, that coaching makes no difference, that Gomez cannot possibly top last season's 58 points, and that Cammalleri in particular cannot possibly duplicate for us what he did in Calgary and LA. Take ANY team and work with worst-case-scenarios and you can predict disaster. I think we are a dangerous, talented team full of character additions, and I cannot believe that if the Leafs or some other team had added Cammalleri we would be reading about what a mediocre signing that is. It's all part of a narrative of Montreal Disaster that the media have settled on. Nothing to do with reality, UNLESS their analysis is referring to the possibility of a future cap crunch. But saying this team sucks? Come on.

In a lot of ways the 'expert commentary' reminds me of the generalized attitude going into 2007-08: Nothing Can Possibly Get Better In Montreal. Well, I for one think the 'experts' are in for a 'little' surprise. This team will kill with speed and feistiness and be a real pain in the ass :hlogo:

Cap concerns are legit, though. We'll just have to hope Gainey can manage them - or that the predicted crunch never happens.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

BUt what are the numbers in Tampa/Atlanta/Phoenix.

85% league wide.

i.e. including the trashes.

If these 3 sellout their season tickets, we'll get to 105%:P

a better question would be :

what about single game tickets?

;)

For those who don't have the luxury (sarcasm), on local radio PJ Stock has good things to say about Hall Gill. He plays ugly, but can be counted on to get the job done. He see's him playing with Markov, minus the power-play time. He also says Gomez plays with a certain edge, and may have lost his way in the bright lights of manhattan. My opinion, we're better, and we finish ahead of the leafs, much to the dismay of the media. We're a playoff team.

The risky element for me is Gionta, who will have to do better than 20 goals if he is not to be counted as overpaid by at least $1 mil. But there's a high upside there; a significant gamble but an interesting one.

Look at him compared to Ryder (4M)

RH shot

"sniper"

not physical.

comparison it stops there

Career wise, he's proven WAY WAY more than Ryder. He's won more, has a better track record, has higher goals total in single seasons, has better point average per season, etc.

He is speeider, and most importantly has a greater vision. He is a sniper, but he can also ... make passes. :o

On a two on one, he has more options than Ryder (shoot, since the pass always gets blocked)

He can outskate, he can make passes, AND he can shoot.

So in essence, what I like about him is despite the fact he's a "sniper"... he constantly gets 40 assists.

We have a better team.

We just lost players we actually cared for though.

Give it a few games and we'll love the new guys.

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!

YES WE ARE!!! Of course this is an "IMO" but Cammelleri, Gomez and Gionta have one thing that is being overlooked by many right now. They have heart and they have guts. Many up until now many have complained that we were/are too Euro and soft and the Ruskies don't care etc. Cammelleri and Gionta play bigger than their size would suggest. Gomez is a talented player but does well at the pest role while playing well. Cammelleri :can: looks possessed when he is playing. They give a SH/T!!!

The D is a bit of a bummer. Spacek is a good QB. Gill is slow and immobile but shouldn't be any worse than Komisarek was when he found his own D game "LOST".

And, BOb says he's done but if an opportunity emerged he would improve the team so I take "being done" with a grain of salt.

We have a better team.

We just lost players we actually cared for though.

Give it a few games and we'll love the new guys.

+

Faster. More Talented. Less Drama. Guys who will work hard every game.

Um, yeah.. we got a WHOLE lot better.

I don't care if I contradict myself by supporting both post, but they are both so true.