Ultimate fans effort to bring back Kovalev

alexstream

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/277783.html

presents are all those who failed the following classes :

-Salary Cap 101

-Loyalty, what's that - random hockey player explaining modern day loyalty (or absence of) in NHL

-Auctioning hockey players 201

Seriously the article states that many fans will rally at the Bell Center at noon, to "request" the habs to bring back Kovalev.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so how do they think Gainey will do that now.? Let our RFA's walk? Leave the hockey buisiness to those who understand it. Plus, you would have to be so naive to think fn pressure would influence Gainey in a decision like that.

Edited by ForumGhost

It has to be the stupidest thing I,ve heard in my life

Montreal fans have sunk in an alltime low. I guess being a fan doesnt mean being knowledgeable.

Of course he could impress with a great deke or a nice wrister...Malakhov did too.

he could also leave you wondering if he ever cared about playing the game by showing a lack of effort on the ice...malakhov did too.

never happy by the way his coaches handled the way he play

needing to be father by Bob Gainey.

keeoping the puck to himself way too long before an opponent could take it away from him.

a non factor/liability 5 on 5

I guess some Habs fans are easy to impress.

It has to be the stupidest thing I,ve heard in my life

Montreal fans have sunk in an alltime low. I guess being a fan doesnt mean being knowledgeable.

Of course he could impress with a great deke or a nice wrister...Malakhov did too.

he could also leave you wondering if he ever cared about playing the game by showing a lack of effort on the ice...malakhov did too.

never happy by the way his coaches handled the way he play

needing to be father by Bob Gainey.

keeoping the puck to himself way too long before an opponent could take it away from him.

a non factor/liability 5 on 5

I guess some Habs fans are easy to impress.

Yes he is an enigma but when he wants play he is a one of a kind wizard and he is the most popular player on the team.

They could be creative sign him to a five year deal for 9 million upfront it 3.5 1st year 3.5 2nd year and balance over 3 years.

after 2nd year they buy him out and send him on his way to russia.

Edited by habs rule

Honestly, as much as i hate Kovalev, if he could be had for 2mil per, then i would welcome him back. Koivu too because if they decide to put Cammalleri to the wing like in Calgary, then i wouldn't mind Koivu being our number 2 centre.

I dont want him back. We committed to go in a new direction with a younger, north-south, fast & furious team. Kovy dont fit.

+1.

I really feel that Andrei Kostitsyn will develop that much more without Kovy on his line, and ultimately replace him. Don't get me wrong, I love Kovy and respect his considerable talent, but KoZed's got it right.... he just doesn't fit anymore.

+1.

I really feel that Andrei Kostitsyn will develop that much more without Kovy on his line, and ultimately replace him. Don't get me wrong, I love Kovy and respect his considerable talent, but KoZed's got it right.... he just doesn't fit anymore.

+1 I think exactly the same for A. Kost. I'd say even more, Kovalev is nothing compared to Kostitsyn.

What I want to know is where is the Bring Back Koivu rally? :P

You should go into politics. You can make an argument about something where there was nothing before. And since you're very strong willed, you can probably convince a lot of people that the blue sky is actually blue because of God's love of Quebec.

Yes he is an enigma but when he wants play he is a one of a kind wizard and he is the most popular player on the team.

They could be creative sign him to a five year deal for 9 million upfront it 3.5 1st year 3.5 2nd year and balance over 3 years.

after 2nd year they buy him out and send him on his way to russia.

He's over 35, the cap hit stays no matter what and he couldn't be bought out. We're in that situation with Spacek currently, he could retire after this season and his cap hit would still be on the books.

Honestly, as much as i hate Kovalev, if he could be had for 2mil per, then i would welcome him back. Koivu too because if they decide to put Cammalleri to the wing like in Calgary, then i wouldn't mind Koivu being our number 2 centre.

It's all about the cap IMHO. Yes, Koivu would (probably) make a better second-line C than Plekanec, but Saku is not likely to accept a $1.5 million, 1-year contract. Last I heard, he was asking for four (!!!) years from Minnesota. That's insane in the membrane.

I think Kovalev would be an even more excellent addition to our current roster. He'd bring some desperiately-needed size up front to go with his impressive skills and lethal shot. But again, will he accept your $2 million-per offer? And at what kind of term? Only short-term would make sense for the Habs, given that at some point the Kostitsyns will have to be given their chances on the wings on the top-two lines. The last thing we want is for Kosty to be stalled in his development because he's behind a 30-something Gionta and a geriatric Kovalev.

Kovalev seemed to love Montreal enough, and to be disinterested enough in money, that he just might accept a crummy offer from the Habs. But even in his case that's surely a massive stretch. So they're gone; get over it. And the 'young' guys like Pleks and the Special Ks and Lats have to start putting up or shutting up in their absence. For all that Gainey has blown up the core, none of Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta are franchise players who dominate games by themselves. We'll ultimately live or die by the supporting cast. The surviving elements from the 'rebuild' have to deliver.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

He's over 35, the cap hit stays no matter what and he couldn't be bought out. We're in that situation with Spacek currently, he could retire after this season and his cap hit would still be on the books.

no buyouts on over-35ers? I thought it was just no retiring player benefit. In theory, though, the Habs could do a 6 year 10M deal and essentially pay him a pension. If Kovy is worried about his future earning potential, could they could even put a release clause in the contract which says "If Kovalev plays less than 35 games in yr 3, he may demand a full release before yr 4." The habs, obviously would still be on the hook for the remaining salary and Kovalev could go to another team where he could get a good contract and keep playing. The habs have been willing to carry $1-2M in buyout costs against the cap before - this wouldn't be significantly different.

I should note that I'm in no way saying that kovy should be back. If anything I'd prefer a 10 year deal for Tanguay paying him $5+ in yrs 1-5 and ~$1M thereafter and give him a yr 6 opt out (are such things even allowed under the current CBA). It seems to me like a long-term deal with a delayed player opt-out is the ultimate salary cap destroyer. Let's do one before the CBA gets renegotiated.

BTW - in the next CBA they need to calculate the AAV of a contract with the caveat of "but no less than 25% of the highest paid year"

I'm not liking how the powerplay is looking without Kovalev...him and Markov were instrumental for the first unit.

Who can work the half boards like Kovy? Nobody...

He goes to Washington...we made an eastern conference team better than us...

Bob better just bite the bullet and take him back. The fans love him in Montreal.

Kovalev was the reason it didn't work out last year. When your best player is playing the opposite of what the coach asks and when the GM has to ask the same player to stay home for the best of the team, it's not looking good. I do not doubt his desire. However it always look like he's hiding some kind of back injury or what not. We do not need him to slow down the rest of the team. He sure looks good in a team of all stars (heck he won the all stars mvp), but we are not that team. Last year we were a team of hard working in your face style, this year a team of pure speed and pass&shoot. He fits in neither of them. Good luck in Pittsburgh, Detroit or Washington.

ok so how about after 2 years he jumps to the khl and we suspend him? would that work? I'm just pissing around. let's face it he's gone and so is saku. Never in my 40 years of habs fandom have I ever heard of a rally to keep a player. Riots sure but demonstrations WOW :hlogo:

ok so how about after 2 years he jumps to the khl and we suspend him? would that work? I'm just pissing around. let's face it he's gone and so is saku. Never in my 40 years of habs fandom have I ever heard of a rally to keep a player. Riots sure but demonstrations WOW :hlogo:

To the best of my knowledge, it'd still count, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

the situation in habsland is perfect for a second line kovy... kovy just needs to accept less $ and we get the second line PP unit we dont have now... Kovy playing 15 min a game is perfect for his age.... yet I believe it would be even more spectacular if we get him back at trade deadline this coming season... just before playoffs... sweeeettt it would be!

But mark my words... he will play amazingly great against us!

I can already hear the crowd chanting his name as he skates for the oponents team.... Kovy Kovy!!

Edited by CoRvInA

You should go into politics. You can make an argument about something where there was nothing before. And since you're very strong willed, you can probably convince a lot of people that the blue sky is actually blue because of God's love of Quebec.

well, that's because it's true. ^_^

Why are people so obsessed with getting this guy back? I'm glad he is gone. Why deal with all the BS and headaches? Good ridance.

Kovalev was sent home because he didn't give a sh##. He vanished most of the year, he is only good for short periods of time. Who needs the headache?

The team has turned over to get players with a track reacord of winning and PLAYING HARD. Something Kovalev knows nothing about.

Not really the role model you want for the young players.

Dont say I'm making arguement where there was nothing before. The arguement was there for a couple of years now. For the past 3 seasons it became clear to some observers that Saku needed to leave, for various reasons. But every time they dared suggest he might be part of the team's problems; they were drowned out by the hardcore fans who came out in drove all repeating the same old mantra: "Gave everything for the team he had cancer he never had good wingers he's the team heart and soul". And the more time went on, the more obvious it became that the team was better without him; but those who drank the Koivu Kool-Aid still held on to the immaculate image painted of him in The Gazette.

In a way, it's sort of like what's happening with Michael Jackson. You got people looking at him for what he was in recent years and consider him a freak with mental issues. Then you've got his hardcore fans who still revere him as a great artist and the King of Pop and are in denial of all the bad things that surrounded MJ in recent years.

More interestingly, Koivu's most hardcore fans are those living farther away from Montreal. Call it the the Distant Star effect. You know some of the stars you see in the sky at night are dead, it's just that because of the distance their light is still traveling. Hence the non-rally in Montreal and the other mantra that'll keep echoing for a while: "The town didnt deserve Saku".

That's not politics. I dont care about convincing anyone. I just call the shots like I see them. If I wanted to do politics, I'd just surf on the opinions of the smallest common denominator and disingenuously cry the departure of Koivu.

Nobody from the old team is coming back. Bob would have already brought them back. He'll keep scouring the league to get his depth D man. Kovy is a goner and those idiots who went to that rally probably gave a biggest effort that one day than Kovy gave the entire past season.