Would Koivu Betray the Habs and sign with Boston or Toronto

Koivu11

To Take or not to take  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would Koivu take the money or not?

• Yes
    • No

Big right-handed centerman > Saku Koivu > Tomas Plekanec

Ad if the big right handed centerman can't be found, I'd like to see Chipchura and Metropolit learn how to play wing so they can create a tandem C option on the 4th line. A righty and a lefty centerman on the same line would be pretty cool, but that has nothing to do with the 2nd line.

Who is the big righty centerman? I believe we need one more forward. Besides Saku, who is it going to be?

Good question :( Brendan Morrison?

I would waaaaaaaaaaaay rather have Saks as a second centre than Plek. Saks Camm Kosty, Gomer Gio Lats.

Dr. Bob make it so!

now this would be a wonderful surprise! let the man finish his career with the habs! in terms of size he certainly fits the team measurements. ;)

Go HABS Go!

Hmmm. Interesting.

In hockey terms, there's no QUESTION that Koivu would be a huge asset. Our hypothetical second line has waaaay too many question marks. Saks would be a valuable, proven performer.

The questions I have are these:

1. Term. Rumours were we wanted four years from Minny. I don't think he was more than 2 years left in the tank as any sort of top-6 forward - if that.

2. Cap hit. $2 mil is a no-brainer, but more than that gets dodgy, especially for term. Remember that we will have to re-sign guys like Price in short order, probably for raises.

3. Team culture.

#3 is the big one for me. Gainey very clearly felt that the team needed a new identity and a massive cultural and attitudinal shift. Wouldn't bringing Koivu back essentially be backing away from this sort of change? As long as Koivu is here he will be a definitive presence on the club. Is that what we want? Or should we be turning the page on the Koivu era?

In the end, I will be *amazed* if Koivu accepts a bargain-basement salary to play here.

(On another note, the Gainey-bashers should take note. For all that they attack him, he has taken us from an organization where nobody wanted to play to one where high-profile players like Cammalleri, Gionta, Koivu and Kovalev actively want to be - to the point where Koivu is apparently hoping the Habs make an offer, and Kovalev is clearly disappointed to be elsewhere. Not bad, dat).

I'd take Koivu back for 2 millino$ on a 2 year term. MAX. The question I have is what would happen to Plex, LaPierre, Metropolit and the other centres?

Would Koivu automatically take Plex's place as the 2nd line centre? Can Koivu still keep up with 18 minutes per game?

#3 is the big one for me. Gainey very clearly felt that the team needed a new identity and a massive cultural and attitudinal shift. Wouldn't bringing Koivu back essentially be backing away from this sort of change? As long as Koivu is here he will be a definitive presence on the club. Is that what we want? Or should we be turning the page on the Koivu era?

Good Point. the whole reason Bob made all these changes was to clear the air in the Locker room. Bringing Koivu back would kinda go against this shift in organizational policy!?!

Good Point. the whole reason Bob made all these changes was to clear the air in the Locker room. Bringing Koivu back would kinda go against this shift in organizational policy!?!

Our team last season certainly had players who wouldn't put in a full effort for all the games. I don't think Koivu would be a problem there -- nor does he get accused of being a locker-room cancer.

But it's still far from reality ...

I'm still holding out hope that Koivu and Gainey will find a way to get the guy back... Koivu is definitely the kind of man/player that would take a paycut to stay in the city he's played his whole career. I could even see a 1-year deal being agreed to to make it happen with hopes that there will be a little extra cap room next off-season to bring him back for a multi-year deal to finish out his career.

Again, I've high hopes.

I'm still holding out hope that Koivu and Gainey will find a way to get the guy back... Koivu is definitely the kind of man/player that would take a paycut to stay in the city he's played his whole career. I could even see a 1-year deal being agreed to to make it happen with hopes that there will be a little extra cap room next off-season to bring him back for a multi-year deal to finish out his career.

Again, I've high hopes.

+1

Anyone that thinks he isn't needed, will retract that statement the first time Gomez is injured.

Again, I've high hopes.

I think we should just go with the wave and give him a 7 years contract. 1,5M - 1,5M - 0,750M - 0,750M - 0,750M - 0,750M - 0,750M for a cap it of 0,964M$ :rolleyes:

If he wants it so bad he can take 11 to 12 million over 4 years. Maybe a 9 m over 3 years. It'll fit. Barely though. There's very little wiggle room and Gainey will have to juggle the RFA's we still have. Three million is affordable. And Euro's get taxed less in Quevbec - I think. I know we all want a Lecavalier, Arnott or Getzlaf for a C and I know people will be upset that the size issue still has not been addressed at C if we sign Saku. But, if the money is right I'll take him back gladly. :hlogo:

3 or 4 years is way too much. He might not even be in the NHL in 3 or 4 years.

Besides, it would mean saying goodbye to Plekanec (and Hamrlik and others). He's worth more to me than Koivu.

I'd not be surprised if he was willing to come down to the $2M range.

Had he been willing to come down to that, he would have signed with us.

3 or 4 years is way too much. He might not even be in the NHL in 3 or 4 years.

Besides, it would mean saying goodbye to Plekanec (and Hamrlik and others). He's worth more to me than Koivu.

Maybe from an age standpoint only, but otherwise there is no comparison possible here.

Sign him quick then package that fool off somewhere.

Maybe from an age standpoint only, but otherwise there is no comparison possible here.

Sign him quick then package that fool off somewhere.

I may be in the minority, but I'm not ready to give up on Pleks just yet. I'd like to see how he performs in Martin's system before calling for a trade. Last year might have just be an off-year.

I guess we shall see.