Plekanec: "I'm not going to Russia"

Habsfan

Plekanec: «D'aucune façon je ne veux quitter»Marc Antoine Godin

La Presse

Link

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...eux-quitter.php

The Article basically says the Plekanec doesn't want to go to russia. Plex says that he has received a few offers from the KHL, but his main goal is to remain in North America.

It also says that more and more teams from both the NHL and the KHL are pilfering each others leagus to find players.

Edited by Habsfan
Please link articles instead of copying whole articles.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atta'boy Plecs. He had a bad season, but you have to love the guy. He's committed, if nothing else.

He is committed

The week following the Habs elimination by Boston, I saw him working out with his personal trainer at Pro-Gym

I really like this guy. if he quits showing up in a little girls dress he is gonna be ok.

In that little girls dress he outworked 90% of our team last season.

In that little girls dress he outworked 90% of our team last season.

And if playing around the perimeter meant something, then his work would would be brilliant. But since you have to go into traffic to be a hockey player and not a figure skater, his work was misplaced.

And if playing around the perimeter meant something, then his work would would be brilliant. But since you have to go into traffic to be a hockey player and not a figure skater, his work was misplaced.

there are times when he decides to get his nose dirty and play to the net. then he becomes a good hockey player. Playing with the guys this year I think the perimeter figure skating will be no more. all down low cycle and go to the net.

Working hard = not playing like a little girl.

If the rest of our plays had the guts and drive of Plekanec, we would have been a much better team last season. He isn't a big hitter but MOST offensive (Pleks is two-way, but he's offensive) forwards are perimeter players. Unless you have Ovechkin on your hands, finesse players find open spaces where they have room to play with the puck. It doesn't make him soft.

Just because he said it himself, everyone jumps on it (like Carbo with communication) - people take what they can get, I guess. He was in a slump and was disappointed with his play so he said he was playing like a little girl. Had Koivu said the same thing, people would have accused him of being a figure skater too. But I guess you would have said that it was a mark of the high standards that the great Sakic Koivu holds himself to.

Find other players to pick on besides the hard-working, well-meaning, struggling, young Czech. If you want to spend your time name-calling Ribeiro (how many years after he's left the team?), go for it, he was a douche bag. But Plekanec doesn't deserve that. At least limit your criticisms to his performance and not the person. It's no worse than the "Bob Gainey is an Idiot" thread.

Find other players to pick on besides the hard-working, well-meaning, struggling, young Czech. If you want to spend your time name-calling Ribeiro (how many years after he's left the team?), go for it, he was a douche bag. But Plekanec doesn't deserve that. At least limit your criticisms to his performance and not the person. It's no worse than the "Bob Gainey is an Idiot" thread.

I've been calling him a Nancy for quite a while now, I didn't even know he referred to himself like that. Amusing, though.

I also never discredited his work ethic. And I disagree that working hard means you aren't playing like a little girl. If we put a little girl out on the ice and she worked hard but never got involved, she'd still be a little girl. For long stretches, Nancy never got involved. I see what you mean about getting open, but he only wanted to get open at the perimeter and away from the opposition. I'd like to see him drive to the net, then try to get open in the slot where you have to take some punishment. Like he did two years ago.

plek just needs to get off to a good start. last year he struggled early on, and never really righted himself.i fully expect several short handed goals from him, and just wish he had that killer instinct to just bury the puck.give him a chance to rebound. if he continues to struggle, then it will be easy for gainey to move him.

plek just needs to get off to a good start. last year he struggled early on, and never really righted himself.i fully expect several short handed goals from him, and just wish he had that killer instinct to just bury the puck.give him a chance to rebound. if he continues to struggle, then it will be easy for gainey to move him.

You are not far off, in my opinion. I recall last season his start was actually decent from an effort perspective. But as the season wore on, and his confidence kept free-falling (props to Tom Petty) he became the perimeter player that Colin refers to.

If he stays, he stands the chance of really thriving on the kind of team Martin ices. If he leaves my heart will not be broken, especially if he somehow helps us land another centre (though I am not convinced he helps us get someone better than he actually is).

Is there any talks about his contract situation? I heard from a friend that his contract is going/went to arbitration, but I can't find that anywhere. Plus, doesn't that only occur later in the summer?

But you gotta believe that after signing Mara and Moan, there's ain't much money to go around for Chipchura, D'Agostini, Latendresse and Pleks...

Plex is taking the team to arbitration, according to reports a few days ago.

I don't agree at all with his work ethic last year, he constantly floated and drifted and refused to drive north-south. He had a great 7-game stretch where he essentially was the team, then tanked it again for the rest of the year.

We've seen him in 3 playoff series do absolutely nothing. He hurts the team in key situations. He is easily rubbed out of the play and routinely makes the wrong decisions with the puck.

I don't dispute that he is very talented, and would love to see him turn it all around and be a big success for us, but would dump him in a heartbeat for a lesser offensively skilled but more adept two-way ctr.

Plex is taking the team to arbitration, according to reports a few days ago.

I don't agree at all with his work ethic last year, he constantly floated and drifted and refused to drive north-south. He had a great 7-game stretch where he essentially was the team, then tanked it again for the rest of the year.

We've seen him in 3 playoff series do absolutely nothing. He hurts the team in key situations. He is easily rubbed out of the play and routinely makes the wrong decisions with the puck.

I don't dispute that he is very talented, and would love to see him turn it all around and be a big success for us, but would dump him in a heartbeat for a lesser offensively skilled but more adept two-way ctr.

He just floated on the I-dont-care wave..like all the others.

Edited by marky_and_komi

That is even worse condemnation, unwilling to take a stand and take it upon himself to make his game, and the team, better.

Maybe he got discouraged by the fact that when he did turn it on, nothing happened, there was little or no response from even his linemates, let alone the team.

But so far he's been a follower and not a game-breaker. Could we tempt the Rags for me wet-dream Dubinsky in a package deal? Oh how I wish.

Working hard = not playing like a little girl.

If the rest of our plays had the guts and drive of Plekanec, we would have been a much better team last season. He isn't a big hitter but MOST offensive (Pleks is two-way, but he's offensive) forwards are perimeter players. Unless you have Ovechkin on your hands, finesse players find open spaces where they have room to play with the puck. It doesn't make him soft.

Just because he said it himself, everyone jumps on it (like Carbo with communication) - people take what they can get, I guess. He was in a slump and was disappointed with his play so he said he was playing like a little girl. Had Koivu said the same thing, people would have accused him of being a figure skater too. But I guess you would have said that it was a mark of the high standards that the great Sakic Koivu holds himself to.

I agree with alot of what you said here BTH but you also have to remember that he was unable to pull himself out of a slump for 70+ games. (assuming he played 12 good ones ;) )

That isn't the type of player we want or need. A successful player can pull themselves out of a slump (even if it takes a long time) but usually not a full season.

I have always liked him, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he goes elsewhere for the kind of money he is requesting.

Bring on Andreas Engqvist !

I've been calling him a Nancy for quite a while now, I didn't even know he referred to himself like that. Amusing, though.

I also never discredited his work ethic. And I disagree that working hard means you aren't playing like a little girl. If we put a little girl out on the ice and she worked hard but never got involved, she'd still be a little girl. For long stretches, Nancy never got involved. I see what you mean about getting open, but he only wanted to get open at the perimeter and away from the opposition. I'd like to see him drive to the net, then try to get open in the slot where you have to take some punishment. Like he did two years ago.

lol You lose the right to ever again complain about Habs fans being the worst. That's a perfect example of why some UFA avoid Montreal altogether.

But as for your analogy... A little girl is literally a little girl. Of course no matter what she does, she'll still be a little girl. A male hockey player can only be a little girl in a figurative sense. To figuratively be a little girl you need to be mentally weak, physically weak, lacking guts, soft, unwilling to break a sweat, etc... I don't think Pleks is like that. On the soft side, I guess, but we've had dozens of softer players that haven't received the criticism Plekanec takes.

I agree with alot of what you said here BTH but you also have to remember that he was unable to pull himself out of a slump for 70+ games. (assuming he played 12 good ones ;) )

That isn't the type of player we want or need. A successful player can pull themselves out of a slump (even if it takes a long time) but usually not a full season.

I have always liked him, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he goes elsewhere for the kind of money he is requesting.

Bring on Andreas Engqvist !

I know he didn't have a great season (but I think that even when he sucks, Plekanec merely becomes invisible, and never detrimental like some players do), but I think he is a hard worker and has good intentions. He also scored 20+ goals last year for the third straight year. Even at his worst, Pleks is a good third line centre. Problem is, we count on him as a number 2 C and that's what he needs to become.

But anyway, my problem is only with people who call players like Plekanec Nancy. What did he do to deserve that from people who don't even know him? Have a bad season? Some fans need to grow up. Colin, Bob Gainey would call you a "gutless bastard." :)

One night in the car, I was listening to my sirius satellite radio, a french language sports show. Eric Fichaud, the retired goalie, said something about Plex. For what it's worth, he said Plex skates 150 mph, but takes the long way to get to the puck. He said he was known for this, and was easy to defend against. Sure, he LOOKS like he's working hard, dancing and darting in and out of traffic, but, well, you see his point. Now, c'mon, I think Fichaud's right on...

One night in the car, I was listening to my sirius satellite radio, a french language sports show. Eric Fichaud, the retired goalie, said something about Plex. For what it's worth, he said Plex skates 150 mph, but takes the long way to get to the puck. He said he was known for this, and was easy to defend against. Sure, he LOOKS like he's working hard, dancing and darting in and out of traffic, but, well, you see his point. Now, c'mon, I think Fichaud's right on...

Yeh, so that means that Pleks is a few simple adjustments away from being the effective player that he was a few seasons ago. Numerous posters have said it before: Pleks is likely to flourish under Martin's watch. And if Cammelleri is on his wing... look out.

lol You lose the right to ever again complain about Habs fans being the worst. That's a perfect example of why some UFA avoid Montreal altogether.

But as for your analogy... A little girl is literally a little girl. Of course no matter what she does, she'll still be a little girl. A male hockey player can only be a little girl in a figurative sense. To figuratively be a little girl you need to be mentally weak, physically weak, lacking guts, soft, unwilling to break a sweat, etc... I don't think Pleks is like that. On the soft side, I guess, but we've had dozens of softer players that haven't received the criticism Plekanec takes.

But anyway, my problem is only with people who call players like Plekanec Nancy. What did he do to deserve that from people who don't even know him? Have a bad season? Some fans need to grow up. Colin, Bob Gainey would call you a "gutless bastard." :)

After his display last season, I think checking up his skirt is warranted to actually prove he is a male hockey player and not a little girl with a hormone problem thus giving him facial hair.

And I doubt highly that Gainey would call me a "gutless bastard." First of all, Plex referred to himself as such, so me saying it is basically meaningless. Secondly, the chance of any Canadien within the organization reading this - and knowing my posting history - and taking me seriously is pretty much nil. That I've become "jaded" and "sarcastic" at times is more a reflection of my irritation with irrational fans and has little to nothing to do with the actual hockey. Anyone who's read me from the beginning will surely realize that, at this point, much of what I say is probably intended to raise the ire of certain posters (gotcha) over actually making a real, quality point (though that seems to be changing too).

Yeh, so that means that Pleks is a few simple adjustments away from being the effective player that he was a few seasons ago. Numerous posters have said it before: Pleks is likely to flourish under Martin's watch. And if Cammelleri is on his wing... look out.

It's quite simple, really - and it's the same problem Higgsy is having - Plex has to stop thinking about his game and start actually playing it.

Awesome, I sure hope so!!!