New Habs numbers

MAK

true... but number 9 and 4 were position numbers... 4 Beliveau's number being the closest to the Rockets 9 number in likeness, same for lafleur is low and a position one. only recently did players take numbers high double digits because they wanted a one digit 9 or a 4.

I think had an equally great player been around at the time of Beliveau and the rocket when they overlapped that equal great one would have taken a 44 or a 99.. hence the story behind Gretzky's choice. So being even more a purist I would stick to low numbers but that for sure lacks in the Habs..(mostly retired) so then I would say high double digit numbers or ones starting with 9 should be left to the stars

Judaism, numbers? Great, a cabala thread!

Seriously, any number above 30 with a 3, 5, 6 or 8 in it sucks unless they're doubled digits.

Ex: 43, 53, 63, 73, 83, 93; 45. 65, 75, 46, 56, 38, 48, 58, etc.

91 is ok. 75 isnt.

As for jinxed numbers, I think 17 can be considered jinxed now. It was Benoit Brunet's number for a long time and he always got injured. Leclair had it and he broke out elsewhere. Bill Lindsay had it and he lost that killer faceoff vs Carolina in 2002. Jason Ward took it and he was a total bust, than Laraque takes it and spends almost the entire season on the shelf.

Yah this has evolved into quite the thread indeed.

Can't say that I love the 75 either.... Although as has been mentioned, it may not look quite as bad on a guy as big as Gill. Numbers in the 90s are for some reason less awkward to me. Perhaps we have Gretzky to thank for that.

A bit surprised that nobody took number 8, although maybe they want to let that one be for a year or two.

i think this information is wrong. but it has nothing relevant to the thread at hand.

I'm almost positive this is correct. The Nazi's considered someone to be Jewish if they had at least one Jewish grandparent. Interestingly this is the same qualifications the State of Israel made for providing citizenship to the Jewish people. Anyone with at least one Jewish grandparent qualifies for citizenship in Israel (a reminder I suppose as to why a Jewish state is so necessary).

Yah this has evolved into quite the thread indeed.

Can't say that I love the 75 either.... Although as has been mentioned, it may not look quite as bad on a guy as big as Gill. Numbers in the 90s are for some reason less awkward to me. Perhaps we have Gretzky to thank for that.

A bit surprised that nobody took number 8, although maybe they want to let that one be for a year or two.

Some numbers in the 90s look weird: #90 - Joey Juneau wore it, but it never did much for me. #92 seems odd. #96 is just for guys that are too lame to put #69 on, which in itself is as lame as it gets. Really, only 91, 93, and 94 seem to work for me in the 90s.

I think any number ending in a 9 looks pretty good, except #29 and #39 have to be left for goalies.

Someone should take #8 eventually. Maybe Weber will drop the #68 and go for #8 when he becomes a regular.

8 always felt like a forward number to me.

2, 3, 5, 7 are for D's. 4. 6, 8 & 9 are for forwards.

And I'd like to see AKost change his number. 46 is lame. I know he doubled 23, but he could just triple it and go with 69!

Anyways. My fave number is 81. It's 9x9 and 8+1=9

#4, #7, and #8 look great on both D and forwards. It is odd that our #5 was retired for a winger (Geoffrion)... I don't think there's a single forward in the NHL right now that wears #5.

I've always wanted some hotshot forward drafted first overall to take #1. It'd be cocky as hell, and already rattling tradition. Ovechkin would've been a prime candidate to do that. Of course, Alexandre Daigle might've been a guy to do that as well.

Speaking of dumb numbers, why the hell did Rick Nash go with #61? That's an awful number considering he was drafted 1st overall by an exapnsion team with no retired numbers. No wonder Columbus has never won a playoff game.

Habs retire so many numbers, that's why our current players have higher numbers than most other teams. Of #1-#10, seven are no longer available. Now, having retired a total of 14 numbers in 100 years, we can project, if retirement continues at the same rate, that in the year 2525 (if man is still alive), they may find all Habs players wearing three-digit numbers.

8 always felt like a forward number to me.

2, 3, 5, 7 are for D's. 4. 6, 8 & 9 are for forwards.

And I'd like to see AKost change his number. 46 is lame. I know he doubled 23, but he could just triple it and go with 69!

Anyways. My fave number is 81. It's 9x9 and 8+1=9

Ak with 69..haven't there been already too many stories about him ??

where's Satan when we need him

13 is a quintessentially christian community superstition*

really???

i've been a Christian all my life (parents, grandparents ... u get the jist) and never known any Christian to be superstitious of '13'. perhaps it was just my circles, perhaps it is more about Catholicism than Christianity - but - i guess i had always thought of superstitions to be pagan (lucky & unlucky numbers, black cats, unmanned ladders & all that crap).

oh well - to get this back on topic ...

really don't like Gill at 75. odd or special numbers deserve odd or special players - and unless you call a pylon odd, 75 isn't a good fit on Gill, IMHO.

all the other new Habs have great numbers and i'm thinking will do really well in jersey merchandise.

really???

i've been a Christian all my life (parents, grandparents ... u get the jist) and never known any Christian to be superstitious of '13'. perhaps it was just my circles, perhaps it is more about Catholicism than Christianity - but - i guess i had always thought of superstitions to be pagan (lucky & unlucky numbers, black cats, unmanned ladders & all that crap).

Judas at the last supper, thirteenth at the table. In Japan, "4" is the unlucky number (some buildings have no 4th floor, or rooms with "4")

Judas at the last supper, thirteenth at the table. In Japan, "4" is the unlucky number (some buildings have no 4th floor, or rooms with "4")

wow. that's dumber than i ever realized then. still - this is the first i've ever heard about it's origins (or cared enough to ever wonder about this). still, as a Christian, i don't associate it with my tradition at all.

Go Cammalleri Go!!!

:clap: :hlogo: :clap:

really???

I've studied Quebec folklore legends for the novel I'm writing, and it almost all deals with religious superstitions. For example: it'd bad omen to "dance over Ash Wednesday", meaning that people who had a big dance on Mardi Gras, they had to stop at midnight, before Ash Wednesday (and Lent) began.

Many variations of a famous Quebec legend use that superstition. Usually it's the story of a family who had a pretty but vain young girl, and on Mardi Gras they throw a big party and every young man in the village wants to dance with the girl and she enjoys the attention too much. Then some impressively magnetic man comes in and dances with the girl and she's smitten. Midnight comes and everybody stops excepts the pretty girl and mysterious stranger. The stranger happens to be the devil, and because the young girl has "danced over Ash Wednesday", she falls ill, loses her beauty, and has to become a nun to save her soul.

That superstition is completely religious in nature. It's a fantasy legend, but it uses a real, common superstition. Once you enter the realm of imagination and intepretation, religion is probably the easiest thing to draw superstitions from.

Some numbers in the 90s look weird: #90 - Joey Juneau wore it, but it never did much for me. #92 seems odd. #96 is just for guys that are too lame to put #69 on, which in itself is as lame as it gets. Really, only 91, 93, and 94 seem to work for me in the 90s.

I think any number ending in a 9 looks pretty good, except #29 and #39 have to be left for goalies.

Someone should take #8 eventually. Maybe Weber will drop the #68 and go for #8 when he becomes a regular.

I hope he does as well.

PK Subban will be all over #6