Why does no one talk about losing these guys?

Nilan25

I dont disagree at all in terms of the limited risk on ability of the players versus the players lost...clearly more upside in terms of age and ability, if not size...BUT, the point I was trying to make is that the size and scope of this top to bottom restructing leaves Bob and J. Martin extremely vulnerable early on IF the team and/or too many of these new players (1) don't perfom and/or (2) lose the fan base....

It will be a long couple years because the Habs will be unable to unload these salaries and the "farm team" does not have the depth it once had....

IMO it has the potential to get really ugly by Christmas and the restructuring may include Gainey if this experiment fails...

What worries me is signing Price and Lapierre next year, and Markov the following year. There better be money for these three guys.

Lapierre will be the next captain to hoist the mug. You heard it here first.

I agree on most of the risk being cap-related. The real danger here is that Gainey may have tied his hands going forward in case he needs to add another few key pieces, and may have to rely on someone taking some of the big contracts off his hands, and probably having to overpay in the process. Depending on the state of the economy/salary cap, this may not be as easy in the coming years as it is now (and it ain't easy now either). In the past he's always kept some-to-significant cap wiggle room, so he could add a Schneider to plug an obvious hole. Now, we're more likely to dance to the tune of "this is your team for the next few years, like it or not". The other very real possibility is that if some of the kids progress as expected, especially blue-chippers, we will have some serious headaches signing everyone, and again, may be in a predicament to have to give away assets just to be able to hang onto guys like Price. But hockey-wise, looking at the upcoming season there isn't much argument that on paper this team is MUCH MUCH improved over last year's product.

My brother's an Ottawa fan. Mom always liked him worse. I told him Ottawa was getting a lot with Kovy, and like the earlier poster, I can barely recognize this team. BALLSY shot blocking moves on the team. Sad to see the good guys go however..are we fans only of jerseys? In Bob I tust.

FOR THE LAST TIME, BOB MADE A PLAN , EITHER THESE GUYS WILL WIN OR I WILL GET NEW GUYS. THE CAPITALS ARE INTENTIONAL, JUST LIKE BOB'S PLAN. WHY DO YOU GUYS NOT UNDERSTAND THAT HAVING 10 UFA'S WAS A PLAN NOT A MISTAKE. THE GUYS WE HAD LAST YEAR SHIT THE BED. THIS IS A PLANNED EVENT NOT A "OH GOD WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW.

BY THE WAY I MADE THE SAME POST 6 MONTHS AGO

FOR THE LAST TIME, BOB MADE A PLAN , EITHER THESE GUYS WILL WIN OR I WILL GET NEW GUYS. THE CAPITALS ARE INTENTIONAL, JUST LIKE BOB'S PLAN. WHY DO YOU GUYS NOT UNDERSTAND THAT HAVING 10 UFA'S WAS A PLAN NOT A MISTAKE. THE GUYS WE HAD LAST YEAR SHIT THE BED. THIS IS A PLANNED EVENT NOT A "OH GOD WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO NOW.

BY THE WAY I MADE THE SAME POST 6 MONTHS AGO

Don't need to shout at the whole group. It's disccussion threads, if you consider idiots

all the people who wished something else would have happened, then you need to take

a break and see the whole picture yourself.

Yes Bob and the management team made radiacal changes but all the players they

got were not their first choice, they were for the most the best options available when

they had the money to spend. Most of the choice were not their first wish, Lecavalier

was plan A not Gomez and everything change from there.

Only time will tell what good comes out of it and if we lose players for nothing again and

people still say Bob is great no Bob is not great he is a 2 way GM. He makes the other GM's

look great while making himself look good with his traditional values.

The one thing no one can predict is how the Habs will do this season. They'll either suck big time or be a really improved team according to popular opinion. I like Tanguay and Lang and would be nice to have either of them back but looks like BG has a bad taste in his mouth and needed to purge.