Curtis Sanford signs with the Habs

Helmethead

Supposedly a 1 yr two way contract paying 600k in the NHL or 105k in the AHL.

Is Halak on his way out or is this just a back up in case of injury?

Denis is expected to retire, so this is the veteran G that's replacing him in Hamilton. I did a lousy job at predicting this one, I thought it was going to be Sabourin before he went to Boston, then Aubin (still unsigned).

while i don't think he'll play for the habs, he may be called up for injuries or in case price really can't handle the pressure of giving up soft goals.i would personally like to see cedric desjardins given a chance at backup, or if HE can handle it. the top spot. another story for another day.

i would personally like to see cedric desjardins given a chance at backup

in Hamilton? ok. in Montréal?? Not at all. He's not ready for that. Not now.

I'm surprised the whole "Halak must be getting traded" rumourmill hasn't started up yet. ^_^

That's because Price is getting traded. :unsure:

Does he have to be waived to be sent to Hamilton?

Edited by huzer

Sanford would have to clear waivers to go down to Hamilton as he'll be 30 when the season starts. It appears that the AHL salary is structured so that he'll avoid being subjected to recall waivers.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1816

To be sent down, yes. But he doesn't apply for waivers coming back up. Same deal as Denis last year.

BTW, when a goalie is called up due to an injury, he's exempt from passing through waivers when the guy he's replacing gets healthy again. That's what happened last year with Clemmensen when Brodeur got hurt.

Sandford is a fairly decent G, I have definitely liked what I've seen of him so far, which I have to admit isnt a lot.

To be sent down, yes. But he doesn't apply for waivers coming back up. Same deal as Denis last year.

BTW, when a goalie is called up due to an injury, he's exempt from passing through waivers when the guy he's replacing gets healthy again. That's what happened last year with Clemmensen when Brodeur got hurt.

I'm not totally sure how that works. afaik it just depends. I remember the Kings had a huge problem related to this 2 or 3 years ago. The Kings #1 G was injured, and their 2nd & 3rd G sucked and their next best G was in the AHL but they couldnt bring him up because they would loose him through waivers. Maybe 2 of L.A.'s NHL G were injured, and you can only bring up 1 replacement for free, not sure. Unfortunately I dont recall why exactly this was the case but L.A. had a big problem that year bringing up their best AHL G.

Or do you mean they can only be sent down freely after the #1 G is healthy? So you can loose them when you originally bring them up?

I watched him a bit in Vancouver last season. He's capable of competent performances at the NHL level, but is definitely best-suited for this third-string role. This is about the AHL team - I'd HATE for him to be Price's backup, since it's not proven that Price can carry the load the way Luongo did, and you don't want to lean on Sanford for more than a small number of games per season. But one nice thing was that he was apparently very positively-viewed by his teammates: a prototypical backup mentality, he knows he's marginal and tries to make the most of it.

He actually was a fairly good goalie in St. Louis for a couple of seasons, but he doesn't have the stature of a NHL #1 goalie, and he lacks the insane reflexes that smaller goalies need to succeed at the NHL level. At the AHL level, though, he's great.

We'll see what Groulx can do with him. Heck, we'll see what Groulx can do with all our guys. It'd be nice if Desjardins took the next step and started pushing for more AHL starts. It'll be a couple years before that Finnish prospect we drafted will be ready, so guys like Desjardins have a chance to really get into the good books of the organization with continued improvement. A guy like him, as long as he steadily improves, could have until he's about 25 to graduate to a possible backup role because of our lack of prospect depth in goal.

I also saw way more of Sanford when he was with the Blues and I was impressed with what I saw of him. Sure his Blues stats arent the best, but they arent that bad, and when you look at the Blues those years they were really bad team those years. Its hard to put up decent G numbers on a bad team if your not any good. Sanford has a lot more NHL Shutouts than Price has and several of them he got while he was with the bottom dwelling Blues.