Plekanec signs for 2.75 million

habs rule

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he got a very big undeserved raise but maybe Bob needed him signed in order to trade him. thoughts?http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=285258

He would've got over 3M in arbitration so I think Gainey did the right thing. Are we over the caproof now?

He would've got over 3M in arbitration so I think Gainey did the right thing. Are we over the caproof now?

This is about fair value for Plekanec when you think about it - heck, Grabovski's going to get more than him this coming season.

As for the cap situation, looks like my afternoon just got tied up running the projections again.

This is a good signing. Plex knows that this is a "make it or break it" year for him!

I expect him NOT to play like a little girl!!

This is about fair value for Plekanec when you think about it - heck, Grabovski's going to get more than him this coming season.

As for the cap situation, looks like my afternoon just got tied up running the projections again.

Damn man, u work harder during this period of the year than most people :P Great job on the cap-info :clap:

Damn man, u work harder during this period of the year than most people :P Great job on the cap-info :clap:

Thanks - it'll be a couple hours before it's up as I have to write the HW news release on it first though...and I have to read through the CBA to ascertain his free agency status for next season before I even get that done.

It was deserved. Remember, his last deal was signed before his career year in 2007-08. So this raise took into account what he did over the past 2 years, not just based on what he did last year. Instead of being a 1 time 20 goal guy, he's now a 3 time 20 goal guy. He's also shown some upside with his 69 point campaign. Over the last 24 months, he was a bargain at his rate. In fact, he's been a bargain for his entire career thus far.

I think we have about $1.6m left to re-sign Stewart and D'Agostini, and that sounds close to right since I doubt either of them warrant much more money than what Lapierre got a couple years back. In fact, Stewart should've been more than happy with his qualifying offer. I'd say we'll start the year shy of the cap by a couple of hundred grand, with some extra space that can be used due to bonus provisions.

I'm ecstatic that this didn't go to arbitration. Now Pleks just has to demonstrate that he's worth the raise... and I suspect that he will.

I'm ecstatic that this didn't go to arbitration. Now Pleks just has to demonstrate that he's worth the raise... and I suspect that he will.

:clap:

And avoid arbitration is always the best thing

Bad news here is that he's a UFA at the end of the season, this is why I needed to look up the CBA stuff as one of my cap sources had him as an RFA.

Here's the HW article - http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1817, sorry for the delay.

A cap projection should be up by 4 PM this afternoon, as I have to run out for a few minutes, so it won't be up right away.

Wow, nearly a million dollar raise after those 2 seasons.

That should help you get your head around why he got that raise. His last contract was based off of what he accomplished from 2005-07, this one was based on what he accomplsihed from 2007-09.

That should help you get your head around why he got that raise. His last contract was based off of what he accomplished from 2005-07, this one was based on what he accomplsihed from 2007-09.

you are all probably right that he would have got this in arbitration, and what does that tell us about that system, and yes grabshits is getting more money, cause burkey is a genius. However it still irks the hell out of me that a guy has a terrible season and gets a million dollar raise. So far he is the only one other than komi to get a raise. I still think there is a real possibility that he will be traded to bring in a bigger centre. :hlogo:

Yet another 1 year deal. Pleks is poised to be the next player that Montreal drafts and/or develops and then loses for nothing July 1st.

one thing about you Trizzak you never miss an opportunity to criticize. :lol:

Yet another 1 year deal. Pleks is poised to be the next player that Montreal drafts and/or develops and then loses for nothing July 1st.

In arbitration, it would've been a 1 year deal as well. In this case, we get him signed cheaper than what he probably would have received there.

Good for the habs and good for Plex; and great for the Cap, I hope.. avoiding salary arb was good. If you look at his three year record, he should have been worth at least 3.25 to 3.5Mil on the open market. We would have been forced to tie up more cash for a one year deal in Arb. So credit to Bob for getting it done.

Now, Plex can Play for Pay, next season! :clap:

He'll bounce back or he will be bounced outta here.. :(

GO HABS GO! :ghg:

I don't thinl he was on for arbitration for the $$ he was there for a

longer contract term.

Price, Price and Latendresse will eat $$ next year, only Mara and Metropolit

will go.

As for losing him for nothing, i am not sure of that, i want to see someone like Maxwell

go up in the depth chart and challenge for that second/third centre job. Then Plekanek

is tradable for a low dwarf :P pick. Then Bob didn't get rid of a developped player for

nothing. All these Timmons picks seem better when their deeper or so his wife says :D

I don't thinl he was on for arbitration for the $$ he was there for a longer contract term.

You can only get a 1 or 2 year deal in arbitration, and all the rumblings I heard suggested he was seeking just the 1 to secure his UFA status.

You can only get a 1 or 2 year deal in arbitration, and all the rumblings I heard suggested he was seeking just the 1 to secure his UFA status.

Arbitration awards can't eat into any potential UFA years. If he were 25, he could get a 2 year deal (which is what Cammalleri got when he went to arbitration 2 years ago with LA - like the picture for your Plekanec article, BTW). The arbitrator would HAVE to give Plekanec a 1 year deal as a result.

Arbitration awards can't eat into any potential UFA years. If he were 25, he could get a 2 year deal (which is what Cammalleri got when he went to arbitration 2 years ago with LA - like the picture for your Plekanec article, BTW). The arbitrator would HAVE to give Plekanec a 1 year deal as a result.

I stand corrected - no wonder all I was hearing was a 1-year arbitration term...:)

As promised, an updated cap situation - http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1818

I'd post how much is left here, but there's still several scenarios to play themselves out so it could go several ways at this point; each is slightly different.

I stand corrected - no wonder all I was hearing was a 1-year arbitration term...:)

As promised, an updated cap situation - http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1818

I'd post how much is left here, but there's still several scenarios to play themselves out so it could go several ways at this point; each is slightly different.

GREAT JOB as always :hlogo:

you are all probably right that he would have got this in arbitration, and what does that tell us about that system, and yes grabshits is getting more money, cause burkey is a genius. However it still irks the hell out of me that a guy has a terrible season and gets a million dollar raise. So far he is the only one other than komi to get a raise. I still think there is a real possibility that he will be traded to bring in a bigger centre. :hlogo:

Why should it irk you? He's still very cheap for a #2 centre. One of the better bargains on the team. Unfortunately, he's going to have a solid year and Gainey'll will be criticized whether he offers him $4M+ next season and he'll still be criticized if he allows him to walk to the Leafs for $4M+. In the end, he will walk and we'll be annointing Ben Maxwell as our #2 centre.