Plekanec signs for 2.75 million

habs rule

As per the trade suggestion, I will concede that this contract looks almost EXACTLY like the one Ribeiro got in the summer of 2006, coming off what could best be described as a mediocre season (which was preceded by his breakout campaign and the lockout). Gainey signed him, then dealt him at training camp.

I hope he's learned his lesson.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should it irk you? He's still very cheap for a #2 centre. One of the better bargains on the team. Unfortunately, he's going to have a solid year and Gainey'll will be criticized whether he offers him $4M+ next season and he'll still be criticized if he allows him to walk to the Leafs for $4M+. In the end, he will walk and we'll be annointing Ben Maxwell as our #2 centre.

He is an expensive 3rd line centre. He better have another career year to warrant that salary. :(

It reminds me of when Koivu got his last contract. It was too much for a declining centre and it meant he was our number 1 guy for 3 years. That didn't work out either. In my view, we are now stuck with Pleks as our number 2 guy which doesn't make us a contender.

Great move by Bob. A little expensive in the real world though...Bob will unload Pleks before the deadline regardless of where the team stands...I actually expect Bob to make yet another play for a big centerman for the playoff push and that effort will involve Pleks...

Lets face it, if Pleks rebounds, he'll get too expensive and if he doesn't rebound, he'll still be too expensive...

He is an expensive 3rd line centre. He better have another career year to warrant that salary. :(

It reminds me of when Koivu got his last contract. It was too much for a declining centre and it meant he was our number 1 guy for 3 years. That didn't work out either. In my view, we are now stuck with Pleks as our number 2 guy which doesn't make us a contender.

He needs to score 69 points to be worth 2.75M? A player that scores 69 points is worth 5M nowadays.

If the average second liner scores 20 goals, 55 points, and is paid 3.5M, Plekanec is just fine. Toss in the fact that he plays defense and on the PK.

Not a bad deal at all.

I must admit - I don't understand why some people are upset with this. The people that were expecting a $2 M salary could only have been delusional. When you can use a comparable contract in Grabovski's in arbitration, I saw him getting at least $3 million. Based on last year's stats, is it a little high? Possibly, but considering what he could very well have received from the arbitrator, this is a signing to be happy about.

I must admit - I don't understand why some people are upset with this. The people that were expecting a $2 M salary could only have been delusional. When you can use a comparable contract in Grabovski's in arbitration, I saw him getting at least $3 million. Based on last year's stats, is it a little high? Possibly, but considering what he could very well have received from the arbitrator, this is a signing to be happy about.

Well how about we agree that his contract is a hell of a lot better than gomez. :lol: I really think he is gone anyways, and that Bob is looking for an upgrade, we will see what happens. However other than the NHL in real life when you screw up big time the boss doesn't say don't worry about that we know in the future you are going to make us a lot of money so here's a raise. they do live in a dream world don't they? :hlogo:

He needs to score 69 points to be worth 2.75M? A player that scores 69 points is worth 5M nowadays.

If the average second liner scores 20 goals, 55 points, and is paid 3.5M, Plekanec is just fine. Toss in the fact that he plays defense and on the PK.

Not a bad deal at all.

An average 2nd line centre won't win us the cup, and I bet he is on the bottom end of the 2nd line centers this year. Stanley cup teams have many of their players at the top level of their position, regardless of line. For the record, I still think most of the "plek magic" was playing with Kovalev (when he was playing well) rather then an indicator of what Pleks can do himself.

Its all my opinion, but I have never viewed Pleks as a top two lines guy. He is a great 3rd line two way player, but a mediocre 2nd line guy.

Yeah, what a cheap deal...for a cheap return.

I'm hoping above all that he bounces back for us and posts a great year, establishes himself. I always hope - frequently against all odds - that a player wearing our shirt does well for us.

The blind repeat the mantra of '20 goals...20 goals...' hoping that they'll convince themselves. But did any of the 'spinners' see him play in the playoffs last season? Last season? Last playoffs? Beyond unacceptable, and that more or less in his own words. An OK 3rd-liine ctr who doesn't have the grit to be a 3rd line ctr. His defense is based 100% on speed and more than often ineffective. But he's there for offense, which he doesn't deliver either consistently (oh wait, I forgot those game-chaging 20 goals) or at crunch time, ever (even stats will back that up, though memory serves a better judge).

Anyway, with that raise for that performance, he's already traded in the 'Halak package deal', no doubt.

Edited by tokyohabs

I don't get why people are upset that Pleks is signed for $2.75M and were thrilled that Gionta was signed for $5M. Unless Gionta regains the form of 3 years ago, is he worth $2.25M more then Pleks???

Unless Gainey is planning on packaging Pleks and someone else for a big centre that has been suggested in the rumours thread or the dumba** Ekland, I think Gainey missed the boat again as with past free agents, and we are going to have another guy walk at the end of the year.

I'm sick and tired of signing guys for 1 year deals and have them walk for nothing. If grabs can get $3M from the leafs, I don't see why the habs wouldn't have tried to sweeten the pot by around $500k and tried to get him signed to a 3yr contract. If he breaks out, he is signed at a pretty good contract. Even if he only has another 25 goal/50-60pt type season (which I think he is more then capable of), his salary would be pretty much still less then market.

I still think we need a true #1 centre and to that end, Pleks salary is not the issue - Gomez's salary will be.

I'm still hoping, dreaming, praying that Gainey will try to put together a package for Stall, I think Pleks and some of our young wingers who can play with Crosby or Malkin and an affordable dmen like Gorges (to replace the Dmen they lost through free agency) could get the deal done, given that the penguins are going to be paying around $17.5M to Malkin and Crosby next year and are going to hard pressed icing a similar team next year, since Malkin's new contract kicks in this year.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

An average 2nd line centre won't win us the cup, and I bet he is on the bottom end of the 2nd line centers this year. Stanley cup teams have many of their players at the top level of their position, regardless of line. For the record, I still think most of the "plek magic" was playing with Kovalev (when he was playing well) rather then an indicator of what Pleks can do himself.

Its all my opinion, but I have never viewed Pleks as a top two lines guy. He is a great 3rd line two way player, but a mediocre 2nd line guy.

My point is that Plekanec is, if anything, underpaid for what he brings.

Why can't you win a Cup with an average second line centre? It's like saying Pittsburgh couldn't have won the Cup because they had Hal Gill and he's a pylon. Pittsburgh isn't a great team on paper and very few of their players are at the top level of their position. Yet they still won the Cup, because they have two franchise players, an other solid centre, a #1 d-man, a decent goalie and a bunch of role players that stepped up.

Plekanec is gone after this year. I guess even earlier in a trade. We wont be able to resign him next summer considering some others getting new contracts (Price etc.). Gainey HAVE to get rid of one of the big contracts before next july 1st.

Plekanec is gone after this year. I guess even earlier in a trade. We wont be able to resign him next summer considering some others getting new contracts (Price etc.). Gainey HAVE to get rid of one of the big contracts before next july 1st.

buy Laraque and Hamrlik out at the end of next season and it will saved 2.3 of cap space for 2 years

Metropolit and Mara shouldn't be back so there's another 3.2 m saved.

Pray for Maxwell to have the type of year that would convince Gainey to let plekanec go.

Andy Kostitsyn will have to play his best hockey otherwize he's gone too. 3M+ is too much for an underacheiver.

Thanks dlbalr (Brian I think?) for the article and the cap update.

I am happy and surprised that we still have some modest cap room available. I was really concerned about it. I kept thinking that we were WAY too close to the cap and a trade must be coming. Now it looks like the roster is set.

Plex is on a one year deal. His salary is comparable to others in his role/production. I don't understand the scrutiny there. His UFA status is a bit of a bummer though. I expect him to be traded by the deadline if he has a poor season.

I'm sick and tired of signing guys for 1 year deals and have them walk for nothing. If grabs can get $3M from the leafs, I don't see why the habs wouldn't have tried to sweeten the pot by around $500k and tried to get him signed to a 3yr contract. If he breaks out, he is signed at a pretty good contract. Even if he only has another 25 goal/50-60pt type season (which I think he is more then capable of), his salary would be pretty much still less then market.

+1. I totally agree with that entire paragraph! I also think that 2.75 millioin is a reasonable amount for Plex. If he can score 25 goals and get 30 asists, he will be worth every cent.

I still think we need a true #1 centre and to that end, Pleks salary is not the issue - Gomez's salary will be.

Once again I agree with you, however what's done is done. We will be stuck with the Gomez Contract for another 5 years. No other GM will be crazy enough to take this monstrous contract off of our hands!

buy Laraque and Hamrlik out at the end of next season and it will saved 2.3 of cap space for 2 years

I think it would be wiser to wait and see what boht of these guys do this season. The Habs have gone through some MAJOR changes. If you replace Laraque and Hamrlik this year, htat will mean that over 50% of the team last year is no longer there. That might be a little too much change for one locker room!

Edited by Habsfan

I think it would be wiser to wait and see what boht of these guys do this season. The Habs have gone through some MAJOR changes. If you replace Laraque and Hamrlik this year, htat will mean that over 50% of the team last year is no longer there. That might be a little too much change for one locker room!

like I said: at the end of next season !! :lol:

while Hamrlik and Laraque can help they are not unreplaceable with cheaper talent.

like I said: at the end of next season !! :lol:

while Hamrlik and Laraque can help they are not unreplaceable with cheaper talent.

Sorry about that, I hadn't noticed. But what if both Laraque and Hamrlik have great seasons next year? Both will have 1 year left to their contracts!

Sorry about that, I hadn't noticed. But what if both Laraque and Hamrlik have great seasons next year? Both will have 1 year left to their contracts!

We might as well use Skost as our enforcer. At least he drops the gloves. I bet someone has written it before but 1.5M/year for an enforcer who doesnt drop the gloves? Its like buying a dishwasher that doesnt dish.

Moving Hamrlik's contract for the final year could be possible, and would open up some possibilities of retaining Plekanec and Mara if Bob wanted to, or else targeting yet another UFA signing next season. I do think Bob is fully prepared to let Plekanec go for no asset return... the only way Plexo is getting dealt is if this team sucks and is already out of it after the Olympic Break... and Bob probably wouldn't be making that trade, anyways.

I'm still wondering if Bob ever intended for Gomez to be the #1 C or not. So much can still happen before the season starts. Right now is it possible that Bob polishing Sundins skates? Sundin did say he was really impressed by Bob and the Habs organization last year. What was Sundins reason for not signing in Montreal? and better yet did it recently leave via UFA? Thats the important question. ;)

Sure Sundin is a long shot and Bob would have to juggle the roster to fit Sundin under the cap, but it could be done. Trade Hamrlik and Pleks. Sure there probably wouldnt be a high return for either of them but if Gomez is somehow bumped to the Habs #2 C spot it would probably be worth it if the Habs can get that bonifide #1C.

Gomez would be 1 of the best #2 C in the NHL if Bob can still manage to get that #1C the Habs have been after for so long.

Maybe even go after Marleau again, offer Hamrlik, Pleks, and a NCAA pick that still has 2 NCAA years left + 1 AHL year to go.

What other bonifide #1 C are out there who would be realistically attainable?

I don't think Bob would invest 7.5 million in his second-line C - in fact he would be an idiot to do so. For that reason, I'm pretty sure Bob sees him as our #1 guy going forward.

Really, I don't understand these Marleau rumours. It makes no sense given the salary cap. Plekanec definitely had a crap season, but in a cap system you *must* rely on affordable players like him to make major contributions to your roster. He is only one season away from looking like a perfectly good and perfectly cheap #2 C. He still is the latter. Better to give him another chance and retain at least a sliver of cap flexibility.

My point is that Plekanec is, if anything, underpaid for what he brings.

Why can't you win a Cup with an average second line centre? It's like saying Pittsburgh couldn't have won the Cup because they had Hal Gill and he's a pylon. Pittsburgh isn't a great team on paper and very few of their players are at the top level of their position. Yet they still won the Cup, because they have two franchise players, an other solid centre, a #1 d-man, a decent goalie and a bunch of role players that stepped up.

Pitts has two of the top dominant centers in the league. They have a couple top defense. They had a goalie who delivered the way people dream Price would deliver. Detroit is dripping with talent. There is no comparison. What Gainey is building (again) is solid but mediocre up and down the team. Unless you are lucky like the Wings, you need to get some absolute top of the league talent, then fill around them with cheap young guys. Who exactly on the habs is a franchise player on any other team (besides Markov)?

Pitts has two of the top dominant centers in the league. They have a couple top defense. They had a goalie who delivered the way people dream Price would deliver. Detroit is dripping with talent. There is no comparison. What Gainey is building (again) is solid but mediocre up and down the team. Unless you are lucky like the Wings, you need to get some absolute top of the league talent, then fill around them with cheap young guys. Who exactly on the habs is a franchise player on any other team (besides Markov)?

Price is still a potential franchise player on all 30 teams.

I don't think Bob would invest 7.5 million in his second-line C - in fact he would be an idiot to do so. For that reason, I'm pretty sure Bob sees him as our #1 guy going forward.

Really, I don't understand these Marleau rumours. It makes no sense given the salary cap. Plekanec definitely had a crap season, but in a cap system you *must* rely on affordable players like him to make major contributions to your roster. He is only one season away from looking like a perfectly good and perfectly cheap #2 C. He still is the latter. Better to give him another chance and retain at least a sliver of cap flexibility.

Although I definitely agree that Bob would be an idiot for investing in a 7.5 mil #2 C, Bob would have been mentally challenged had he not picked up a potential #1 C when his #1C was a UFA and #2 an RFA. Without the Gomez pickup the Habs would have been euchred.

Like I said Gomez would probably be 1 of the best #2 C in the NHL, and arguably a #1 C. Bob couldnt afford to wait until Jul 1st to find out if he could land a top tier #1 C, after all its not like there was many to choose from this year other than his own UFA.

For a long time now the Habs have basically had 2 #2 C, a #2a C and a #2b C and now theres the potential for the Habs to once again have #1a C and a #1b C. If Bob can still get that bonifide #1a C I think the #1b C at 7.5 mil will be worth it to have 1 of the best 1st and 2nd line C in the conference and if he is unable to do it he still has the #1b C to fall back on.

Wow, what a ripoff. Imagine if he had a good season?

So knowing he could have easily been awarded over $3 M in arbitration, you would have given him...what? Higgins got $2.25 M and he had an even lousier season than Plekanec did. Heck, there wasn't even the threat of arbitration in that instance.