Bruins trade Aaron Ward back to Canes....

Habitforming

I understand the cap woes of teams during the offseason, but trading one of your top playoff performers for a 4th rounder?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=285581

Yes they get Eaves as well, but he was already put on waivers so they can buy him out.

Edited by Habitforming

It's an interesting deal, that's for sure - Eaves' buyout is pretty cheap this year (and actually saves Boston cap space next season when the cap could drop). I presume talks with Kessel could actually be going somewhere and they need to save a little salary to bring him back.

One interesting tidbit out of this as the capologist in me shines through - the only way you can buyout a player mid-summer is if someone files for arbitration. Matt Hunwick was the only Bruin to file and he settled beforehand, but they still can buy Eaves out. In theory, this means Montreal can do the same since Plekanec filed for arbitration. Doesn't mean it'll happen, but the buyout window appears technically to be open for the Habs once more.

Well it had to be done because of the Kessel situation, but not having Ward definitely will be felt on their blue line, he has been pretty solid for the Bruins. It's STILL not a foregone solution that they resign Kessel though, they may have to do another salary-shedding deal to make it happen, especially if someone else signs him to an offer sheet and they intend to match, like Chiarelli said they would.