What's wrong with Tanguay?

matchek

I can't understand why Tanguay hasn't been signed yet. I actually thought he'd be one of Bob's priorities... I really thought Bob had dropped the ball, but now I wonder how come 29 other GMs aren't moving either - maybe 30 GMs can't all be that blind, so there must be something I'm missing.

He's young, would have been one of the top scorers (if not THE top scorer) had he played 80 games instead of the fifty something games he played (which still landed him a top spot on the scorers list).

Plus he wanted to stay in Montreal.

Is there still something wrong with his shoulder? what is it?

I feel bad for him.

It's a mystery. Likely it's as simple as this: his contract demands are too high. Don't worry, he'll land someplace.

(I suppose it's *possible* that he's a problem in the dressing room or for coaches and that word has gotten around. Certainly, if Gainey is quietly letting it be known the guy is a problem, then following on Keenan's blacklisting that would seriously dent his marketability. But I haven't heard anything to this effect, so presumably it's a question of cap fit and salary).

Could also be that he's a playmaker and teams are more interested in goal scorers. That, after all, is why we went after Cammaelleri instead of him - his game became redundant after Gomez was acquired.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

this goes back to fan dont know all...most guy was crying for tanguay to come back..and now ever team as pass on him so far...its show that we can cry all we what about the moves of GMs but most of the time we well never know the true story of why a guy left or a guy stay or why we didnt sign this guy and that...

I was one of the guy who thought tanguay would of been back for sure....but it look like he was not the player we thought he was...and it might as somthing to do with bob not making him capt if he stay..if bob kept him and never give him the C the french media would be all over it and from what i know about tanguay he a good guy but not much of a leader...who know..

the reason i think he didnt get sign by other teams yet is that his agent might of over priced him and teams spend there money on other freeagents and not much left over for a player that as been hurt...he well still find a team but i dont think it be on his terms.......

i wish that he would sign a cheap one year with us to prove he still got it, but there no way we got room

He'd be a good fit in Vancouver. They have cap room and they still need some actual offensive talent on the second line. Not sure what Gillis is waiting for...re-signing the Sedins while losing Ohlund hardly qualifies as an off-season home run.

He'd be a good fit in Vancouver. They have cap room and they still need some actual offensive talent on the second line. Not sure what Gillis is waiting for...re-signing the Sedins while losing Ohlund hardly qualifies as an off-season home run.

The Canucks need a D. They're pretty solid at forward.

I think Tanguay's a little disappointed in the teams that are rumoured to be interested in him. I've heard it's mainly been sunbelt teams that frequently miss the playoffs: Florida, Tampa, and Phoenix. Maybe he's hoping that after arbitration something will open up, or like Derek Morris with Boston, he's waiting for a higher end team to clear cap space to bring him in.

Really sad to see him go - I hope Bob knows what he's doing because if the Habs slump and Alex has a great season somewhere, Montreal fans are not going to let it slide... especially those who count French speaking players.

It's got to be a contract # issue, as mentioned by a few people above.

Also, at this stage of free agency, there is probably at least half of the league that either doesn't want him because of his minimum salary requirements, his playing style, and cap room concerns (especially since the cap will likely drop significantly in 2010-11). Of the remaining teams that do want him, they have to worry about fit in the lineup and his injury. Then, on top of that, he probably has teams making decent offers, but are teams he just doesn't want to play for.

The bottom line is that the market for him now may be the smallest it has been since July 1. Conceivably, the market could be as small as 2-4 teams. I don't know that, but it's very possible.

Ya, I think most of you are on the right track. I think its a combination of all the teams that are playoff bound that want him dont want to sign him for as much as he wants or for as long. Tangs had 2 shoulder injuries last year on the same shoulder so there is a risk of signing him to a 5 year 25+ mil contract. No playoff bound team wants to risk having a $5 mil player who cant play.

After all look what happened to the Habs last year. We almost failed to make the playoffs because we had a $5 mil player who was injured. In the new NHL teams are so much closer in the standings and having 1 key guy out can be the difference breaker of being in or out of the playoffs.