Alouettes News 2005

dlbalr

Rather than continuing to add to last year's thread, let's start a new one for this year.

Here's what's happened so far:

- WR Copeland signs with Calgary, reportedly 4 yrs, 200 K+ per season.

- S Barron Miles signs a 2 year deal with B.C.

- A few other minor guys leave for other teams, no biggie.

- RB Michael Jenkins signs, he'll replace Autry Denson who it appears was not re-signed.

- FB Mike Vilimek has signed with the Als, and will replace Bruno Heppell. Vilimek played in Ottawa last season.

- Also signing: Linebacker Marvin Jones, Defensive tackle John Nix (who played in Arizona-NFL last year), and linebacker Jack Gaudreau.

Earlier today, the CFL schedule was released.

Still no word about who Montreal will bring in as the backup QB, they're pursuing Marcus Crandell, but nothing's happened yet. Also now a free agent is Khari Jones, who also would be a nice backup.

[Edited on 2005/6/24 by dlbalr]

Another solid defensive player has flown the coop. DB Davis Sanchez has reportedly signed a 4 year, $800 K deal with the Edmonton Eskimos.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=116750

The article states the Als were interested in re-signing him, but that no other team offered more than $140 K per season.

As much as I felt the Als needed to go get a decent #2 receiver when Copeland left, their defence needs some big time help now, first Miles, now Sanchez. Fortunately, their leaving has opened up some money to be used to maybe get a quality replacement.

Originally posted by dlbalr

Another solid defensive player has flown the coop. DB Davis Sanchez has reportedly signed a 4 year, $800 K deal with the Edmonton Eskimos.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=116750

The article states the Als were interested in re-signing him, but that no other team offered more than $140 K per season.

As much as I felt the Als needed to go get a decent #2 receiver when Copeland left, their defence needs some big time help now, first Miles, now Sanchez. Fortunately, their leaving has opened up some money to be used to maybe get a quality replacement.

Damn Sanchez, he leaves the Als every chance he gets. Our secondary is weak as hell now, and it was never that strong to begin with... Its always had holes the past few years.

Earlier this offseason, the Als signed Ottawa FB Mike Vilimek to replace Bruno Heppell. At first, I thought the Als did this for better overall depth as Vilimek also plays special teams, but this wasn't the case, as Heppell retired due to chronic injury problems.

The article reports that the Als gave Heppell every chance of returning, but that Bruno said his injuries had taken too much of a toll.

"I could never see myself wearing any other sweater than that of the Alouettes," he said.

There's a quote I wish others would utter more often. Heppell spent his entire 8 year career with the Als, and he'll be missed for sure.

In other could-be-lousy news...

Popp said another DB, Kelly Malveaux, signed with Las Vegas of the indoor league this week, although there is a chance he will return when that season ends in May.

Let's hope he comes back, our defence sucks now, we can't afford to lose him too.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=116909

Well, we still have Calvillo and a good coaching staff.. so everything's still possible I guess.

For sure. I'm not saying we can't win the division, i'm just saying that we probably won't be the favourites to win it this year. This team is still quite good, and with possibly the greatest coach in CFL history behind us we should not be regarded lightly at all.

We haven't lost Malveaux yet, although I still don't expect him back.. this is from today's paper:

Kelly Malveaux has become the latest departure, after the free-agent defensive back signed this week with Las Vegas of the Arena Football League.

The Gladiators, 3-2, are one-third through their 16-game regular season. The AFL playoffs begin in May, about a week before CFL training camps open. Malveaux remains a free agent, and Popp said he remains interested in re-signing him.

Neither Malveaux nor his agent, Brian Treggs, a former receiver with the CFL's Baltimore Stallions, have returned numerous messages left by The Gazette.

"I'll keep after him," Popp said, "but I only can keep after someone as long as they return my calls."

As for what Popp is doing about the secondary, and the rest of the team:

This week, the Als have lost Malveaux, free-agent cornerback Davis Sanchez and safety Barron Miles. Sanchez signed with Edmonton and Miles jumped to B.C. Predictably, Popp could be in the market for a free-agent signing.

Calgary cornerback William Fields was appealing, but Fields has signed with Winnipeg. Popp has now turned his attention to defensive-back Serge Sejour, a 6-foot-1, 205-pounder who spent the last two seasons with Ottawa.

Montreal recently signed Terrence Caroll, who spent 2003 with the Stamps, and has Stephon Kelly, who joined the team late last season.

"Whatever happens, we'll be bigger and stronger," Popp vowed. "We want to get in people's faces and jam them. Or maybe we'll learn to hold, like other teams do to us."

Notes - Popp continues negotiations with Canadian free-agent defensive-tackle Phil Gibson, who broke into the CFL with Montreal before being traded to Saskatchewan. ... The New Orleans Saints released receiver Jerome Pathon, an Als draft choice in 1997. But don't expect him to head north for at least a year, Popp said. "He'll sit out the year and see if someone calls or picks him up," the GM said. "If they don't, and he wants to play, he'll come to Canada. We won't call. He knows who holds his (CFL) rights."

I still think we'll be alright, more than alright.

They to this club is not that we have the best coach, that helps, but we have the best GM in a league where massive player movement is the norm.

Popp is king.

How much were tickets last year to the Stade Olympique game? I'm thinking of maybe making the cheapest journey possible from Halifax on that weekend ($69 flights to Montreal, Hostel, etc.) and going to that game against Ottawa on the 22nd of October.

Originally posted by Habsfan21

How much were tickets last year to the Stade Olympique game? I'm thinking of maybe making the cheapest journey possible from Halifax on that weekend ($69 flights to Montreal, Hostel, etc.) and going to that game against Ottawa on the 22nd of October.

I dont remember "exactly" but I'd say between $20-$60 depending on where you want to sit.

[Edited on 2005-3-6 by puck7x]

Originally posted by Habs77

Calgary cornerback William Fields was appealing, but Fields has signed with Winnipeg. Popp has now turned his attention to defensive-back Serge Sejour, a 6-foot-1, 205-pounder who spent the last two seasons with Ottawa.

Montreal recently signed Terrence Caroll, who spent 2003 with the Stamps, and has Stephon Kelly, who joined the team late last season.

Notes - Popp continues negotiations with Canadian free-agent defensive-tackle Phil Gibson, who broke into the CFL with Montreal before being traded to Saskatchewan.

The Gazette was right, as both Sejour and Gibson signed today. The Gazette was right? I'm speechless. :)

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=117468

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost been a month since the last update, and for good reason, as very little has happened. Here's what's happened over the last month:

Als sign DB Darrel Crutchfield, a reserve in Edmonton the last 2 seasons.

Als have invited WR Jay Chapman, who had an NFL tryout last season with Cincy to training camp.

LB Phillipe Girard, a reserve with the Als the last 2 seasons, has retired.

There's still a major hole at WR, with just Cahoon and Cavil locked in. Girard will need to stay healthy (that never happens), and a 4th will need to emerge. Upon scanning the Als roster, I noticed one who I think may be it, Darnell McDonald. He had 1004 yards receiving in 2003 with the Stamps, then was let go after, where he signed with the Als prior to last season. However, since their WR's were so good last year, he stayed on the practice roster.

They could really use Anderson back, but he landed with New Orleans (NFL). The fact that he signed a multi-year deal too says that he's probably not going to be cut.

Just over 2 months before the preseason starts, with a pair of games, before the 22nd of June, which is the regular season opener vs the Ti-Cats.

• 1 month later...

It's official now, Malveaux re-signs a 1 year deal plus an option. It's nice to see that some people actually want to re-sign in Montreal unlike Copeland, Sanchez, and Miles, who'd want to stay with a team that always wins (except for maybe the playoffs, but still).

Full details

Now, since these website problems deleted my draft update, I'll repost a part of it:

1 (5) Matthieu Proulx DB*

2 (12) Jeff Piercy FB

2 (13) Thomas Whitfield DB

2 (16) Phillip Gauthier DB

3 (24) Victor Cabral DT

4 (33) Mike Ray K-P

5 (42) Curt Hundeby OL

6 (49) Adam Eckert WR**

6 (51) Olivier Manigat G

*Pick acquired from Ottawa in exchange for K-P Matt Kellett.

**Pick acquired from Edmonton along with SB Terry Vaughn in exchange for FS William Loftus

Preseason begins on June 9th vs Ottawa, regular season on the 22nd, when the new look Als host Hamilton.

Updated roster

The Als still have a fairly signifcant hole and that is at QB. Yes, they have Calvillo, but little else, as Tavares Bolden is gone, leaving Ted White as the main backup (yipes). The backup plan with Jesse Palmer failed as he stayed in New York, while the Als were unable to sign either Crandell or Jones. Ricky Ray is now a free agent after being released by the Jets, and he is a CFL UFA, but there's no chance he comes to Montreal. Here's hoping Popp has a plan to fix this problem this year.

Some more news out of Als World, it's been a fairly busy week. First off, the Esks have stolen away another Als player, this time LB Jason Lamar, who signed with us as a free agent near the playoffs last season.

Now, onto some better news, some signings; I'll go through them quickly:

G Sébastien Drapeau (CIS)

DB Nick Hill (AFL)

WR Javarus Dudley (GB-NFL-mini-camp-04)

WR Jajuan Dawson (30 games NFL experience with CLE and TEN)

T Jon Schall (CIN-NFL-training camp-04)

Plus, 4 draft picks have signed long-term:

DB Matthieu Proulx (1st rounder)-3 years + option

FB Jeff Piercy (2nd rounder)-3 years + option

DB Philip Gauthier (2nd rounder)-3 years + option

OL Curt Hundeby (5th rounder)-2 years + option

Rookie training camp begins May 26th.

• 3 weeks later...

Released players: LB Marvin Jones, DE Nick Hill, DT Teto Simpson, DB Terrence Carroll, DE Emmanuel Cassius, FS Stephane Fortin, WR Jajuan Dawson

Simpson and Fortin both played a fair bit for the Als last season, surprised to see them cut.

Signed players: DB Kealvin Armstrong, OT Josh Lovelady, DB Jerry Ntabrah, LB Tabugbo Anyansi, DB Lamar Chapman, RB Marcus Houston, CB James Whitney

Whitney is a former Als player, and spent the last few seasons in the NFL.

CB Darrel Crutchfield, signed in the offseason, signed a 2 year extension this week, guess they like him.

Quote from the Coach:

We are keeping our two-punch maximum policy in fights. The first two punches are free and then, players are fined $10 per punch.

Originally posted by jets2k5

Alouettes Suck!

Go Bombers!

Go Eskimos! "Ricky Rays Baaaccck"

Fans of more then one team per league suck :P (pick one... Esks or Bombers)

Take your Als hate elsewhere, hehehe. The only place the Als suck is in the playoffs... unfortunately... But when it comes to the regular season they are dominant.

[Edited on 2005-6-4 by puck7x]

Are are tidbits from today's camp notes:

Addition

Running back Marcus Houston, who played at Colorado and at Colorado State, was added to the roster.

According to Coach Matthews

“His injury was thoroughly investigated and we made sure he would be in great physical condition. He even took a speed camp in Atlanta in the off-season. He's got natural skills and he looks great,” said Don Matthews about running back Michael Jenkins.

- As much as I was concerned about the secondary... I'm really not anymore.

With the always reliable Durden, Malveaux who apparently he doing great in camp, the terrific rookie of the year finalist Curry... and the additions of Sejour/Crutchfield/Whitley... we have a solid group.

Durden was quoted as saying he thought the secondary would be better than ever "now that a few of the egos have left".

He was obviously referring to the outspoken Sanchez & the unhappy Miles from last season.

Popp was also quoted as saying he thought the secondary would come out improved after all the changes, be bigger and be able to play more physical against the opposing receivers.

My only concern is Karikari at FS... but hopefully he'll be fine, and we have Dorvelus & #1 pick Proulx at that position as well.

- The LB is rock solid with Butler, Johnson, Stickland... and the line is also top notch with Megna, Brown, Phllion & Stewart.

We also brought back Gibson whom we had traded away to Sask. a few years ago... and newcomer Nix looks promising.

- On the offensive side of the ball... the O-line is still one of the best.

- Calvillo will still have plenty of good targets starting with Cahoon, Cavil, & now Vaughn.

I expect a few lesser known newcomers to also surprise.

- The Heppell hole was immediately plugged with Vilimek.

- And we have nothing to worry about with Jenkins, Lapointe, Lewis at RB.

In the end... the only real question marks coming into the season are:

- Karikari at free-safety as I mentionned

- who will replace Kellett, and how effective will he be with punting & FG's

- we still don't have a premier backup who can lead us to victory if Calvillo gets hurt... and Matthews has already stubbornly announced White will yet again be our backup.

And I'm sure he won't be getting any more playing time either.

We'll still win the East... and make it to the Finals IMO.

But can we beat Ricky this time?... cuz EDM should come out on top in the West.

latest news:

Training Camp: Day 7

Courtesy: Montreal Alouettes

Date: 06/04/2005

The Alouettes continue training camp at the Campus du Fort Saint-Jean. Here’s a look at Day 7 of practice, which was held outside:

Secondary

James Whitley was in uniform today and had an excellent practice. Head Coach Don Matthews had him at short-side cornerback with Almondo Curry at defensive back on the same side. Matthews still feels that veteran defensive back Kelly Malveaux and veteran cornerback Reggie Durden will be the wide-side starters. ‘’Our secondary is a lot more physical than it was last season,’’ Matthews said. ‘’This is probably the best secondary we’ve had in my time with the Alouettes.’’

Cahoon in great shape, as usual

Slotback Ben Cahoon has continued to impress the crowd as he made two more great catches today.

Chapman

Defensive back Lamar Chapman had two interceptions today on top of three pass knockdowns.

I really like what I'm hearing about the secondary... never occured to me that we could getter better after losing Sanchez.

I love it.

The Als made 7 cuts Saturday. They are:

FB Graeme Bell

WR Maurice Brown

DE Mitchell Crossley

CB Mark Estelle

OT Jon Schall

RB Fred Talley

DT Darrell Wright

Some more big names were cut Sunday...

SB Darnell McDonald

DE Serge Sejour

WR Shaun Diner

WR Javarus Dudley

DB Brandon Little.

Surprised to see the first 2 on today's list get cut, both were somewhat prominent signings. This ensures that Girard becomes the #4 WR, and guys like Stala, Watkins, and Wilson will fight for the top reserve role. Also to note, a few of the aforementioned cuts were draft picks, they are still part of the organization.

Still several cuts to be made, need to be down to 40 by next week.

The final cuts have been made, and the roster has been set. Here are the cuts:

QB Joe Wiser

QB Robert Kent

K Tim Duncan

CB Jerry Ntakrah

CB Lamar Chapman

DT Alan Weekes

T Joe Johnson

G Curt Hundeby (draft pick)

WR Levander Segars (draft pick)

WR Adam Eckert (draft pick)

DT Viktor Cabral (draft pick)

DT Mike Sutton

RB Jeronimo Huerta-Flores

LS Jason Congdon

LB Tabugbo Anyansi

This means that Roberson wins the #3 QB spot behind AC and White. Damon Duval is the new kicker with Duncan being released.

The full roster will be released Tuesday, the day before the season opener vs Hamilton.

In other news...QB Khari Jones was released by Edmonton today, could the Als go after him now? Not likely...:(

Originally posted by dlbalr

This means that Roberson wins the #3 QB spot behind AC and White.

I think that's the same QB Popp sees as our future #1, he was injured last year but still stayed with the team all year.

I've never seen him, but I just have this feeling he'll never amount to anything.

In other news...QB Khari Jones was released by Edmonton today, could the Als go after him now? Not likely...:(

Seeing how Matthews has a hard-on for White for some reason, I'd doubt it as well.

Then again Popp went after Crandell during the off-season, so why not Jones as a backup?.. for the right price.

The real story is Jonas Lewis winning the #1 RB spot over Jenkins if you ask me.

Jenkins was placed on the injured list, but that's just a way to not dress him and keep his rights... he said himself he's not happy about it.

Apparently RB Edwards, who has looked very good as well... has left the team and has been suspended.

But apparently he's expected to return.

I was uneasy about depending on the oft-injured pair of Jenkins & Lapointe... and I love what Jonas did last year on the playoffs.

I'm glad he'll be in the mix, although anything can happen going forward.

Oh yeah, and WRs Terry Vaungh & Kwame Cavil are injured and will not play in the opener.

I'm more than comfortable with guys like Stala, Watkins & Giligan stepping up.

And Almondo Curry seems to have lost his job, for now anyway the backfield will be Cruthfield, Malveaux, Whitley & Durden.

I think it's a good thing we start the season vs. Hamilton, who should be just about the weakest team in the league this year IMO.

Can't wait 'til Wednesday.

Less than 24 hours till gametime. Can't wait for this one, i've been pretty deprived of any sports action since the Super Bowl.

Any predictions for the game?

I can't see the Als losing this one in front of their home crowd. I'll say we win 34-21.

GO ALS!

Als news and notes prior to game 1:

- Alouettes signed RB Mike Pringle today...to a 1-day contract, he then officially announced his retirement.

Inactive players for Wednesday's game:

Paul Archer

Michael Botterill

Kwame Cavil

Almondo Curry

Phil Gibson

Michael Jenkins

Terry Vaughn

Projected starting lineups:

Offence:

OL: Okeke, Lambert, Chiu, Flory, Fritz

WR: Watkins, Cahoon, Stala, Girard

RB: Lewis

FB: Vilimek

QB: Calvillo

Defence:

Backfield: Crutchfield, Whitley, Karikari, Durden, Malveaux

LB: Butler, Johnson, Strickland

DL: Stewart, Philion, Brown, Megna

Special Teams:

K/P: Duval

LS: Vrantsis

PR/KR: Landry

Less than 24 hours to go, can't wait! Go Als! (We need an Alouettes emoticon, don't we)?

[Edited on 2005/6/22 by dlbalr]