Hockey News: Habs 8th in the East

rafikz

Wow. I would have expected more pessimism from THN. 8th is a safe prediction though.

I agree

although I think we'll be a bit better. maybe 6 or 7th but in the end it doesnt change much.

it'll all depend on Price. if he can steal one or two games during the trip while theteam is trying to gel we should be ok.

lets all hope for no injuries to gomes or pleknanec....if so were screwed !

Wow. I would have expected more pessimism from THN. 8th is a safe prediction though.

From glancing at the yearbook, the Habs are pegged as 8th, but could go as high as 5th or as low as 11th. Plenty of potential pessimism in there...

On paper I think we're really much better than the 'experts' think. (Notice that they have us pegged to finish right where we finished last season? That is characteristic of these 'expert' 'forecasts'. It's comical, actually). But you do have to be cautious in these predictions because the team as a whole is one massive unknown - we can't fortell how the players will gel.

Now I think Gainey has been masterful in selecting players who complement each other (elite playmaker + two goalscorers up front) and know each other (Gomez, Gionta, Mara, Moen); addressing glaring holes (Spacek as legitimate #2 PP man and puck-mover, Moen and Gill and Mara for size); and acquiring players with track records of being major contributors to championships (Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Moen). He has also installed a coach who is a seasoned veteran, a calming presence and a proven 'systems' guy who can explain roles and establish structures that will give the team a rock-solid foundation from which to proceed. Bob has done everything possible; but there is *still* no guarantee that it will come together properly. Especially not for the first half of the season.

So what I think we have here is a team that may well finish somewhere between 6th and 8th...BUT that that will be an artificially low result, dragged down by a rocky first half as the new team finds its collective feet. I would look to this bunch to hit some crisis point around November, with the fans and media in a panic and players looking white-faced and grim. Then I would expect it to gradually build up steam as the leaders establish themselves and everyone starts pulling in the same direction. By the time the playoffs arrive, I do not think it unrealistic to expect us to be in the top 4 in the Conference in terms of actual effectiveness on the ice, regardless of what the regular-season standings tell us.

Of course it could all go south too. Like I say, expect a crisis point in November-December. It's possible that something will happen and the leaders will NOT establish themselves, that the team will just collapse; or that the leaders will take over too late. But I think the team-building factors I mentioned earlier (Gainey's careful logic in assembling this group) make that outcome the less likely one.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's not hard to pick the habs 8th, if i am recalling correctly, when they make the playoffs over the last 15+ years it's always an 8 seed. Except the great year a few years back that came from know where.

I actually think the chemistry will start earlier then people think, as CC points out alot of good character players and should right the ship immediately with Martin. I expect Gomez, Cammallari, Moen and Mara to start getting in the others heads immediately, especially about playing defense, playing hard and doing what it takes to win. As CC also points out they are all winners.

So i think they could go 10th up to 6th this year.

Pleks, AK46, Price need to step up and show what they are made of.

To a lesser degree, Markov, Gorges (defensively awfull last year) and a few younger guys need to step up as well.

On paper I think we're really much better than the 'experts' think. (Notice that they have us pegged to finish right where we finished last season? That is characteristic of these 'expert' 'forecasts'. It's comical, actually). But you do have to be cautious in these predictions because the team as a whole is one massive unknown - we can't fortell how the players will gel.

Now I think Gainey has been masterful in selecting players who complement each other (elite playmaker + two goalscorers up front) and know each other (Gomez, Gionta, Mara, Moen); addressing glaring holes (Spacek as legitimate #2 PP man and puck-mover, Moen and Gill and Mara for size); and acquiring players with track records of being major contributors to championships (Gomez, Gionta, Gill, Moen). He has also installed a coach who is a seasoned veteran, a calming presence and a proven 'systems' guy who can explain roles and establish structures that will give the team a rock-solid foundation from which to proceed. Bob has done everything possible; but there is *still* no guarantee that it will come together properly. Especially not for the first half of the season.

So what I think we have here is a team that may well finish somewhere between 6th and 8th...BUT that that will be an artificially low result, dragged down by a rocky first half as the new team finds its collective feet. I would look to this bunch to hit some crisis point around November, with the fans and media in a panic and players looking white-faced and grim. Then I would expect it to gradually build up steam as the leaders establish themselves and everyone starts pulling in the same direction. By the time the playoffs arrive, I do not think it unrealistic to expect us to be in the top 4 in the Conference in terms of actual effectiveness on the ice, regardless of what the regular-season standings tell us.

Of course it could all go south too. Like I say, expect a crisis point in November-December. It's possible that something will happen and the leaders will NOT establish themselves, that the team will just collapse; or that the leaders will take over too late. But I think the team-building factors I mentioned earlier (Gainey's careful logic in assembling this group) make that outcome the less likely one.

Nice post with a lot great points.

Ironically the Habs do usually make the playoffs at 8th spot, but they are always artificially low in the standings when they do make 8th. Personally I almost want to see somebody who is a impact player get injured early on in the season. It will force the rest of the team to gel ASAP, the Habs will fall in the standings a bit and every team will think little of the Habs because they are 8th. I think the Habs 1st place finish really hurt them because all the teams were well aware of what they could do - all the coaches etc were watching lots of Habs videos to formulate an action plan against them. Let the other teams be over confident and look past the Habs next year. This isnt Koivu's Habs anymore. There are a lot of proven winners with Cup rings on the Habs now. ^_^

6th to 10th sounds right.

same here.

Chemistry, acceptation of new roles, stepping up leaders, new coaching style and injuries will be the keys this season.

interesting. i agree with most that the habs could go as high as 4th.every team in the east has question marks.you have to figure the penguins, flyers, caps, canes, bruins to be in the mix. the habs will need to weather the storms that affected them last year. hopefully, with more grit, speed and consistent play from price, they can compete all season long and maybe finish among the top 4. lets face it, habs backed into last season's playoffs based on a tiebreaker against the equally inept panthers. they need to overcome injury woes, and they seem to have enough depth to overcome.yes we will all miss saku, kovy, komi, etc., but the team never progressed. the major housecleaning will stand on its own merit.if it works, then all hail gainey. if not, the fans will be chasing gainey on 10-quest.its taking forever for august to end.

Hockey news has been reporting whatever happens to the team the previous year... one year they predict the habs dont make the playoffs (which was what happened to them before) then the habs win the East ... so THN syas they will repeat the feat the following year which they dont and the Habs finish 8th... hence their present report... lol just joking

anyways what I really wanted to say and just like I did several threads before ... Were only as good as our 4th line Alex Henry aside for once

Let me hear from you guys about the 4th line centre Metropolit... Ive seen some good stuff from him ... do you think he may surprise us now that he will have a system under Martin that benefits his style? quick and good two ways...

Im for a tough and gritty in your face 4th line but can we do better with whats left in Hamilton? and is Martin going to use the young D'agos and Pacioretty's in that line?

It's not hard to pick the habs 8th, if i am recalling correctly, when they make the playoffs over the last 15+ years it's always an 8 seed. Except the great year a few years back that came from know where.

I actually think the chemistry will start earlier then people think, as CC points out alot of good character players and should right the ship immediately with Martin. I expect Gomez, Cammallari, Moen and Mara to start getting in the others heads immediately, especially about playing defense, playing hard and doing what it takes to win. As CC also points out they are all winners.

So i think they could go 10th up to 6th this year.

Pleks, AK46, Price need to step up and show what they are made of.

To a lesser degree, Markov, Gorges (defensively awfull last year) and a few younger guys need to step up as well.

I'm sure Martin and Gainey have had this conversation before the ink was dry on his coaching contract.

Martin is no fool and he'll give the players every oportunity turn the corner, but it is ultimately up to them. First thing I would do is sit Moen right next to AK, Mara next to Plex, and Gill next to Price in the dressing room and let them see what true team players are like.

I agree about Martin. This team is way better defensively which will immediately help Price out. I'm assuming this year he won't see 40 shots a night, he won't be ran over every night and watching defensemen skate away with there tail between there legs.

I don't know what to make of Pleks and the Kosty brothers, i guess it's time to show what you have.

I disagree with Soflhabsfan, I don't think they'll miss Koivu, Kovalev and Komi and the others at all. They were all underacievers, there leadership skills have alot to be desired. I think the fans will miss them more then the locker room.

I'll predict it here first, after the first loss or bad game everyone will be sreaming for the new players heads and wanting the old guard back. So i'll remind them now, They haven't been past the second round in 15+ years.

I agree about Martin. This team is way better defensively which will immediately help Price out. I'm assuming this year he won't see 40 shots a night, he won't be ran over every night and watching defensemen skate away with there tail between there legs.

I don't know what to make of Pleks and the Kosty brothers, i guess it's time to show what you have.

I disagree with Soflhabsfan, I don't think they'll miss Koivu, Kovalev and Komi and the others at all. They were all underacievers, there leadership skills have alot to be desired. I think the fans will miss them more then the locker room.

I'll predict it here first, after the first loss or bad game everyone will be sreaming for the new players heads and wanting the old guard back. So i'll remind them now, They haven't been past the second round in 15+ years.

I don't think too many of us are going to miss the old guard, myself...unless the new guys suck ass. After three or four games it will become obvious that Gomez > Koivu and Cammalleri > Kovalev. The new guys will collectively bring a level of guts that the old guard conspicuously lacked, too. The fans will like that. It's not like Koivu was a Quebecois Hero or Kovalec didn't drive everyone batty half the time.

Then again, I'm old school - I cheer for the sweater, not the individual, especially when that individual has never won a thing. In other words, I bring the same attitude as a fan that players bring to the team: they sweat blood for the team when they're a part of it, but it's ultimately business and they'll skip town if it makes sense in business terms. Similarly, I'll bust a lung cheering for them when they're on my team, but once they're gone, they're gone. I'll always be fond of Kovalev for the entertainment (and drama) he brought and to Koivu for being one of the great warriors in team history. But they're gone, and given their ages, rightly so.

Martin is no fool and he'll give the players every oportunity turn the corner, but it is ultimately up to them. First thing I would do is sit Moen right next to AK, Mara next to Plex, and Gill next to Price in the dressing room and let them see what true team players are like.

And Gomez will sit right in between Lapierre and Latendresse to expediate his French skills. Everyone wins. :lol:

Well, I for one approach this season with an open mind about where teams will finish. I think Boston will come down from the top of the heap. I think Carolina is a borderline playoff squad and could easily miss despite making the third round last year. The Rangers will look about as dangerous as offensively as the 2003-04 Penguins once Gaborik goes on the IR for 4 months. I think the winner of our division will be at best the 4th best team in the conference... let's face it, the Penguins, Flyers, and Capitals are better than any of the 5 teams in the Northeast, including Boston.

While I believe our end goal for the regular season is pretty obvious (make the playoffs), I don't think our players should have such a long term focus. Focus on your next game and let the chips fall where they may come April. There are a group of teams I consider wild cards, and the Habs are one of them.

It'll take a little while for all these new players to get used to each other. That's why I think the first 20 games will be pretty rough.(i wouldn't be surprised if they have a losing record after 20 games)

But I expect them to do better for the rest of the season. I predict they'll finish between 6th and 8th in the east.

From the Coach, right down the line to the new batch, to the returning 4th liners. They all have something to prove. Each will play with a Chip on their shoulder. I'm predicting a strong start and an even more consistent season. Good things this year will come in great but albeit small sizes! Our system first approach will unite this squad and leaders will emerge.

I'm past the surprises of this off season and looking forward to a new page in our beloved Canadiens history book!

Go HABS Go! :hlogo: :clap:;)

Top 3 finish to the regular season; they will surprise!

Edited by Chips

this other mag states we reach 5th

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=479790

But note... for what its worth and I will argue its as a valid or invalid quantification of performance assumptions: the top 10 players in this list play a total of 772 games and sum 530 points which on points per game equates to a score of 68.65 (100 being a point per game) i wonder how their number one ranked team did?

Edited by CoRvInA

this other mag states we reach 5th

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=479790

But note... for what its worth and I will argue its as a valid or invalid quantification of performance assumptions: the top 10 players in this list play a total of 772 games and sum 530 points which on points per game equates to a score of 68.65 (100 being a point per game) i wonder how their number one ranked team did?

Mike Cammalleri

GP G A PTS

81 38 42 80

D'oh, the prediction is the Habs still wont have a 40 G scorer or a point per game player. So close though. I hope Cammy gets 40+ and 82 pts+. Its a been a long time since the Habs have had a Canadian who could be on the Canadian Olympic team and if Cammy can put up enough points he could actually make it.

Wow, pretty harsh predictions for Koivu and Kovy. :lol:

The Score has Montreal finishing 10th, with Carolina 12th and New Jersey 13th. The four teams immediately ahead of Montreal are Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Toronto (6th).

:lol:

The Score has Montreal finishing 10th, with Carolina 12th and New Jersey 13th. The four teams immediately ahead of Montreal are Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Atlanta and Toronto (6th).

:lol:

Hey, at least they aren't just copying and pasting last year's standings with a couple of minor tweaks like most mags do.