Will our PP be deadly again?

saskhab

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,183540

Interesting notes from this Puck Daddy piece on the chances of players repeating as the league leaders next year in several categories. I was amazed how many times our guys got mentioned when it came to PP stats... here's a sample:

Power-Play Goals: Thomas Vanek, Buffalo Sabres, 20

Vanek was second to Ovechkin in PPG for 2008-09 and tied for sixth in 2007-08. The Buffalo power play lost 22 points when Jaroslav Spacek(notes) left. Say, where'd he go again? Oh, that's right: Michael "19 power-play goals in 2008-09" Cammalleri's new team, the Montreal Canadiens. Biggest Threats: Cammalleri, Ovechkin, Teemu Selanne(notes). Chances for Repeat: Vanek's 20 goals in 73 games was outstanding, but finishing ahead of the pack again isn't likely.

They also list Andrei Markov as the biggest threat to overthrow Sidney Crosby as the league leader in PP assists, while they mention that Scott Gomez is a darkhorse to be the league leader in assists if the Montreal makeover works.

Bob obviously values a top notch PP unit and it looks like we have the makings of a crazy good one yet again. Markov will have two one timer options to look for in Cammalleri and Spacek, while Gomez and Gionta can set things up down low.

I'll assume they will be much better then last years team on the PP. As you mention, they have much better shooters from the point and down low. They also have players who go to the net.

If they finish 8-12 in both PP and Pk that would be a great year for them. Combined with limiting the lazy hooking penalties they are known for should be a recipe for moving up in the standings.

If they finish 8-12 in both PP and Pk that would be a great year for them. Combined with limiting the lazy hooking penalties they are known for should be a recipe for moving up in the standings.

Saku and Kovy gone, this aspect should only improve...

I like to think the PP will be deadly no matter whos playing on it....

:hlogo:

I'd like to as well, but that makes no sense though. :P

Our PP should be better than last year though. More options at the point, and more shooters. If Latendresse doesn't crack a spot in the top 6, it would still be nice to see him get some shifts on the PP, hanging around in front of the net. If we're going to be firing from everywhere, someone should probably be there.

Well I'm pretty sure Martin will be giving them assignments at least on the PP so by that alone it should be better than last years. Hopefully Martin even gets A Kosts to practice doing 1 timers from the point. Who'd a thunk it. :lol:

Our PP should have many weapons to choose from, the point shot will have a few extra cannons to fire! and our new snipers and playmakers show promise. Not having Kovalev's accuracy may hurt but I hope a more consistent and strong 1st and 2nd PP lines should counter the loss of Kovy's Skill.