2010 Olympic Hockey Thread

Habitforming

To be fair, it took a lot of appealing by Nabokov to the IIHF before they allowed him to play for Russia. It was his choice, not Russia's. He was banned from playing for them in 2002 and denied an invitation to the World Championships in 2005. He has a special exemption, Russia isn't just going around stealing everyone.

American is the proper English demonym for a person from the USA. It doesn't make any sense to use America to refer to the entire continent, since there are TWO continents that could refer to. All the other continents are referred to with their whole name, so why not North and South America?

American = Member of the USA

North American = member of that continent

South American = member of that continent

You partly right its Americas the term we use for all three continents and the carribean or antilles

but US is never called America in official documents I work on Its always US of America

Back to the thread .... anyone know what size rinks the O games will be played? NHL size? if so then Canada wins gold and US makes the Medal podium

Edited by CoRvInA

Back to the thread .... anyone know what size rinks the O games will be played? NHL size? if so then Canada wins gold and US makes the Medal podium

It seems like they'll have NHL rinks:

The 2010 tournament will mark the first time since NHL players were allowed to compete that the Olympics will be held in a city with a NHL team. For the first time, Olympic games will be played on a narrower, NHL-sized ice rink, measuring 61x26 metres (200x85 feet), instead of the international size of 61x30 metres (200x98.5 feet). This change is expected to save $10 million (CAD) in construction costs and allow more spectators to attend games.

Wikipedia

but US is never called America in official documents I work on Its always US of America

Right, I'm not talking about anything official. I just mean if you walk up to someone and say America, the US pops into their head before the entire western hemisphere. (Ok, not the entire hemisphere, but most of it.)

Thats actually wrong though. Nabokov is really a Kazak but they do allow him to play for Russia for some reason. Its probably because he lived in Russia for long enough just to play hockey. However I still dont think he should be allowed to play for Russia. I bet theres lots of ex Soviet countries with lots of hockey players that lived in Russia for a long time so where does one draw the line? Should Russia really be able to rob all the top talent off all of those other countries too? All the ex Soviet countries will never do better if Russia can just take them all.

It's actually ridiculously easy to change allegiance for Olympic sports. As long as you've never competed for another country in a particular sport, all you have to do is get citizenship in another country and you can play for them. During the lockout, Chris Chelios trained in the bobsled for awhile and was going to compete for Greece if he could qualify. A US women's basketball player could never get a shot on the US team, so she got Russian citizenship and played for them.

In Nabokov's case, as Jets mentioned, there was a big fuss over him playing for Russia. This is because he played for Kazakhstan in the 1994 World Championships. Since he had competed internationally in hockey for a country, it made it quite difficult for him to get an exemption to play for Russia.

To save on confusion, just call Americans Yankees. Not only is it distinctive, but it irritates half the population. What more could one ask for? :P

Right, I'm not talking about anything official. I just mean if you walk up to someone and say America, the US pops into their head before the entire western hemisphere. (Ok, not the entire hemisphere, but most of it.)

It's actually ridiculously easy to change allegiance for Olympic sports. As long as you've never competed for another country in a particular sport, all you have to do is get citizenship in another country and you can play for them. During the lockout, Chris Chelios trained in the bobsled for awhile and was going to compete for Greece if he could qualify. A US women's basketball player could never get a shot on the US team, so she got Russian citizenship and played for them.

In Nabokov's case, as Jets mentioned, there was a big fuss over him playing for Russia. This is because he played for Kazakhstan in the 1994 World Championships. Since he had competed internationally in hockey for a country, it made it quite difficult for him to get an exemption to play for Russia.

Typical english speaking thinking. Say America in french and nobody will think about the US...

Brett Hull did it too if I'm right ? The guy is Canadian I think...

Hmm, remind me what language we're speaking?

Ok let me reformulate. Say America (in french or in english) to a french speaking person and this person will think about the continent, not the USA. Because you think that when we hear America, we think about the USA is a typical english thinking. That was my point.

Ok let me reformulate. Say America (in french or in english) to a french speaking person and this person will think about the continent, not the USA. Because you think that when we hear America, we think about the USA is a typical english thinking. That was my point.

Which one? :lol:

If I told you I were going to Australia, what would you think? Would you think about the Australian mainland, or islands such as Tasmania, New Guinea, or New Zealand? People think about countries before continents.

Which one? :lol:

If I told you I were going to Australia, what would you think? Would you think about the Australian mainland, or islands such as Tasmania, New Guinea, or New Zealand? People think about countries before continents.

Oceania would be appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

The term is used today in many languages to denote a continent comprising Australia and approximate Pacific islands,[2][3][4] and is one of eight terrestrial ecozones.

The boundaries of Oceania are defined in a number of ways. Most definitions recognize parts of Australasia such as Australia, New Zealand, and New Guinea, and part of Maritime Southeast Asia as being parts of Oceania.[5][6][7] Ethnologically, the islands that are included in Oceania are divided into the subregions of Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

It's a shame for these little countries that their continent is called Australia. In french, we use Océanie.

Some mod should move all this to the Nothing thread.

Srs.

True.

Edited by JoeLassister