Gomez 'sti!

JLP

That's why I don't think French classes in high school are worth a damn; in most of North America, it's just a total abstraction, about as relevant as learning Latin.

Actually, learning Latin is very beneficial. Knowing the language itself is rather useless, as I took it for four years and wouldn't be able to write a single sentence any more. Latin did, however, vastly improve my vocabulary and grammar skills in English. I learned more grammar and the basis for many English words in those 4 years of Latin than I did in 16 years of English classes.

Actually, learning Latin is very beneficial. Knowing the language itself is rather useless, as I took it for four years and wouldn't be able to write a single sentence any more. Latin did, however, vastly improve my vocabulary and grammar skills in English. I learned more grammar and the basis for many English words in those 4 years of Latin than I did in 16 years of English classes.

Well...learning *anything* is useful, really, in that sense.

Perhaps I should have said 'about as useful as learning Klingon' in order to avoid the inevitable defence of Latin education ^_^