Markov Turns Down 'C'

bar

Wonder if that means he's not happy and wants to get outta town after next contract.

Or, more realistically, he saw how Koivu was crucified constantly despite being a superb player. Maybe Markov understood that, no matter how well he played, with the 'C' on his shirt, he was going to be run out of town.

anyway...

Having the pressure to be the best defensemen is enough for Markov, a A for respect but the C

should go to Josh Gorges.

He's been a captain in his junior days and won Memorial, never been drafted but overcome the odds

and he is from what i saw on the ice a team player. Never gives up, never complain and is accustomed to

Montreal now.

More so i think it would give an edge to his game.

In my opinion, Markov is Montreal's Best Player. He is a leader on and off the ice, but his inability to communicate with the media in either English or French puts him vulnerable position. If language were not an issue he would be the captain and a great one.

I'm not sure who should be captain but I have no problem with ????? as long as the players select the next captain.

I dunno if we should read much more into it, than he feels he's not right as a captain.

Agreed. Better players than Markov have been convinced to put a C on their chest, only to take it off. Give props to Markov for not letting himself be pressured into a role he isn't comfortable with. A team needs a captain who wants to lead. It is no slight on Markov as a player if he isn't a vocal leader.

I wonder if he needed a translator to turn down the 'C'...

I'm not surprised at all. Markov is the Wikipedia entry for 'Strong Silent Type.' And the last thing we need, frankly, is our most important player (after Price, perhaps) thrust into a role in which he feels uncomfortable.

What puzzles me is Martin's declaration that he and Bob will choose a captain coming out of training camp. I don't think that's enough time to determine the authentic go-to leader on the team. Everybody puts on their best face for camp. We need to know the *real* person in order to know whether they've got the royal jelly. And since making the wrong call can have damaging consequences - as we saw with Turgeon, and the Chelios/Carbo fiasco before that - this haste seems ill-advised, not to mention out of character for the two men.

My guess? Based on what we've heard out of camp: Gionta. Not only does the media seem to be gravitating to him, but Martin was just singing his praises (how he does the little things, leads by example, etc.; but again, will he still be doing that in February? Or when he's in a slump and the media are turning on him like the pack of slavering hypocritical jackyls they are? That's my concern about making a decision too soon).

Gorges would be an excellent under-the-radar choice, but does he have the stature to bear the burden? He's still a young guy, and his exact on-ice merits remain uncertain (remember the debate over whether he's really a top-4 guy?). Indeed, he may be among the Most Likely Habs to be Thrown Into a Trade Deal. Not prime material for the C.

Gomez, an obvious choice, but the last thing he needs is more pressure.

Hamrlik needs a bounce-back year; maybe not the best person upon which to drop a C-shaped nuclear bomb.

Gill would be an eccentric but plausible choice. Trouble is, he was a healthy scratch a few times last year; do you want your captain in the press box?

Et cetera. There simply is no obvious candidate, at least not that outsiders like us can detect. So count me among the people who think three 'As' and maybe a rotating captaincy is the way to go. Obviously the brain trust thinks differently...

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I'm happy that they offered it to him, but not surprised that he turned it down. The next best choices all seem to be new players. I don't think we should pick a new captain just yet.

Again, both Martin and Markov have denied that the captaincy was offered to Andrei. So, according to both of them, he could still become the captain.

We'll see.

I don't think Gionta will be named captain. Martin has also singled out Moen for the very same reasons he has singled out Gionta, and I don't see Moen as a captain. I think knowing Montreal is important.

When interviewed the other day, Patrick Elias said that Gomez was the guy talking in the dressing room and that Gionta was acting more "markov-style".

I'm more a fan of Gomez than Lapierre or Gorges for captaincy...

Edited by JoeLassister

When interviewed the other day, Patrick Elias said that Gomez was the guy talking in the dressing room and that Gionta was acting more "markov-style".

I'm more a fan of Gomez than Lapierre or Gorges for captaincy...

I don't like the idea of giving somebody with that contract the captaincy. (Forget that he's anglophone too!) The contract's a total lightning rod. He'd never hear the end of it.

I don't like the idea of giving somebody with that contract the captaincy. (Forget that he's anglophone too!) The contract's a total lightning rod. He'd never hear the end of it.

Every serious candidate ( i'm definitely not in the Josh Gorges bandwagon here) for captaincy has a huge contract....

Is Mara some kind of a leader ???

i vote Cammalleri...his young, he sign a 5 year deal...his the first really good ufa that what to play in montreal in a long time...in interviews he talks a good game and its looks like his not scared of the media or saying how he feel..

Every serious candidate ( i'm definitely not in the Josh Gorges bandwagon here) for captaincy has a huge contract....

Is Mara some kind of a leader ???

I don't know, but he fights for his teammates and seems like a character guy.

I don't like Gorges as captain either.

max lap is def captain material but it is a little too soon. Josh georges is also a future captain but maybe not quite established enough. Gomez is the guy making the big bucks and I see him being the captain. he is taking french lessons, and hey all the gd french media cam speak english so whats the problem?. I am french and only say gd because they seem to be intent on hurting the team ie last years party scandle

For a team that had 10+ ex-captains just a little while ago, and a couple sure-to-become captains, it's funny how suddenly there's no one fitting for the job. Gainey built a team of captains. Now they are all gone. Does management know anything about how team leadership works? Always assumed they did.

Except the fact that Gainey was wrong about all those leaders you are referring to. The fans thought they were better then they were. Who actually stepped up and led anyone anywhere? The off ice problems were a contant for years. The lack of work ethic was a problem for years, that's leaders jobs to fix those problems.

Think about it again, THEY HAVE HAD 1 GREAT YEAR IN THE LAST 15 or 16. If that doesn't signal change in leadership, personel and coaching, i don't know what does.