Training camp cuts

PMAC

The Gazette http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs...6970/story.html

reported that Philippe Lefebvre (Drummondville) signed a three-year contract before being returned to junior and that Joe Stesjkal (Dartmouth College), Mac Bennett (Cedar Rapids of the USHL) and goaltender Jason Missiaen (Peterborough) were also cut :hlogo: .

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Bennett was cut that early, in my opinion.

Why interesting? It seems to me that the only young d-men with any shot of making the big club are Subban or Weber. Why keep Bennet around longer if he was going to be cut anyways?

Philippe Lefebvre can be on this breakthrought season with all the leaders gone in Drummondville.

He was a second pick overall in the LHJMQ so it's not a bad guess, i was deceived at his numbers when

i saw him but he was stuck behind very good players with more experience. Coach Boucher developped

his all around play now he's the main guy there, expect him to have a huge upgrade in points.

Jason Missiaen is that huge goalie right? I would like to see him work his way into the system over the next couple years.

No surprises with the cuts. I think it's fair to say that Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Kostitsyn, Chipchura and O'Byrne will be the ones who make the team. The only upset I could see happening would be Weber over O'Byrne or possible Stewart over Kostitsyn, but both are unlikely in my opinion.

So Fischer's not at camp eh? Is he ever projected to show up on the scene?

Edited by ForumGhost

Fisher will finish his Sr year at Minnesota then sign his pro contract. Or at least that is the plan.

Yeah, the only reason Stejskal was at camp is that his school term hasn't started yet at Dartmouth. The other college kids are all in classes, including Fisher, Leblanc, Kristo, etc. Bennett is playing in the USHL this year and then college (Michigan) next year, so he was at this year's camp but won't be at next year's because of classes.

The first set of cuts from the main camp came sooner than later, as 4 players hit waivers this afternoon. Sanford is interesting as he's supposed to dress tonight.

http://twitter.com/habsworld_net/statuses/4150407191

They do have to prepare to go to Scotland, so if they want Sanford there then he needs to clear before they leave. I assume they'll fly out tomorrow night at the latest.

The first set of cuts from the main camp came sooner than later, as 4 players hit waivers this afternoon. Sanford is interesting as he's supposed to dress tonight.

http://twitter.com/habsworld_net/statuses/4150407191

Not really any suprises there. I said after the game yesterday that Glumac and Darche showed no NHL upside.

They do have to prepare to go to Scotland, so if they want Sanford there then he needs to clear before they leave. I assume they'll fly out tomorrow night at the latest.

Personally, I thought Sanford would've stayed up as the 3rd goalie until the end of camp, allowing Desjardins and Mayer to go to Scotland. Sanford gives the 'Dogs a better shot at winning this little tournament though.

A thought that's come to mind as I continue procrastinating (this tax paper isn't going to write itself but alas my thoughts are elsewhere) - if the players are being waived to go to Hamilton for the purpose of going to the Gardiner Cup, what about the others who need to clear? Alex Henry and Andre Benoit aren't on waivers, leading me to speculate that they might be sticking around in camp a little while longer.

A thought that's come to mind as I continue procrastinating (this tax paper isn't going to write itself but alas my thoughts are elsewhere) - if the players are being waived to go to Hamilton for the purpose of going to the Gardiner Cup, what about the others who need to clear? Alex Henry and Andre Benoit aren't on waivers, leading me to speculate that they might be sticking around in camp a little while longer.

Here's your answer on Henry's situation:

Alex Henry had hand surgery today, apparently having suffered a fracture during his fight Friday night against Ottawa's Matt Carkner. He's out four to six weeks.

http://habsinsideout.com/main/21512

and

P.K. Subban (foot) is day to day....

Here's your answer on Henry's situation:

Alex Henry had hand surgery today, apparently having suffered a fracture during his fight Friday night against Ottawa's Matt Carkner. He's out four to six weeks.

Oh how wonderful, time to add him to the salary cap for the first month or so, albeit at his AHL salary. Oh no, his minor league salary is in Canadian funds this season, I've gotta go through that mind-numbing currency translation again? :( That just ruined my day. If that wasn't any worse, the fact that he actually played in the NHL last year adds another element to the calculation. I hate preseason injuries...

Yeah, read about Henry. Another mind-numbing cap calculation excercise awaits! Carle last year was bad enough, but at least you went through that once so you can figure out Henry's a bit easier.

Yeah, I noticed Benoit wasn't on the waiver wire as well, so that probably means he's sticking around until the final cut is made. He was in Europe the past two years anyways, so if he didn't make it out to Edinburgh in that time it's his loss. :lol:

I also suppose a couple of Cyclones players will be called up as a result. If Benoit is staying and Henry is injured, then they will only have 6 d-men with IF TWO of Carle, Subban and Weber get cut. I assume Carle will be cut, but is Benoit ahead of both Subban and Weber? Seems doubtful. I do count 13 likely forward cuts, and one is Wyman so I suppose he could play D... but I think Masse is still hurt, is he not?

Yeah, read about Henry. Another mind-numbing cap calculation excercise awaits! Carle last year was bad enough, but at least you went through that once so you can figure out Henry's a bit easier.

Yeah, I noticed Benoit wasn't on the waiver wire as well, so that probably means he's sticking around until the final cut is made. He was in Europe the past two years anyways, so if he didn't make it out to Edinburgh in that time it's his loss. :lol:

I also suppose a couple of Cyclones players will be called up as a result. If Benoit is staying and Henry is injured, then they will only have 6 d-men with IF TWO of Carle, Subban and Weber get cut. I assume Carle will be cut, but is Benoit ahead of both Subban and Weber? Seems doubtful. I do count 13 likely forward cuts, and one is Wyman so I suppose he could play D... but I think Masse is still hurt, is he not?

Masse's still hurt, will be for a while - at least he won't count against the cap as he went in injured. My guess is some Cyclones will be called up for this as well.

Henry's cap hit is more complex actually because he spent time on the roster last year. There's actually a fraction that is used to determine the base compensation while he's on IR (Sec. 15.6 of the CBA). My rough guess is that it looks like this before adjusting for the different currencies:

$500,000 x 3/186 = $8,064.52

$200,000 x 183/186 = $196,774.19 (the $200,000 needs to be adjusted as it's in CDN funds)

Add those 2 together and divide by 186 for the total daily cap hit, aside from the currency adjustment. $204,838.71/186 = $1,101.28 daily cap hit.

17 more players are now gone. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/282842.html

Goalies:

Cédrick Desjardins

Robert Mayer

Defence:

Chad Anderson

André Benoit

Michael Busto

P.K. Subban

Frédéric St-Denis

Forwards:

Andrew Conboy

Mathieu Darche

David Desharnais

Mike Glumac

Mikael Johansson

Dany Massé

Ryan Russell

Brock Trotter

Ryan White

JT Wyman

No real surprises amongst the bunch other than perhaps Subban - Desharnais played well but there was no way he was making this team unless a lot of moves were made.

17 more players are now gone. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/282842.html

Goalies:

Cédrick Desjardins

Robert Mayer

Defence:

Chad Anderson

André Benoit

Michael Busto

P.K. Subban

Frédéric St-Denis

Forwards:

Andrew Conboy

Mathieu Darche

David Desharnais

Mike Glumac

Mikael Johansson

Dany Massé

Ryan Russell

Brock Trotter

Ryan White

JT Wyman

This group is going to have fun in Scotland this week!

Masse's still hurt, will be for a while - at least he won't count against the cap as he went in injured. My guess is some Cyclones will be called up for this as well.

Henry's cap hit is more complex actually because he spent time on the roster last year. There's actually a fraction that is used to determine the base compensation while he's on IR (Sec. 15.6 of the CBA). My rough guess is that it looks like this before adjusting for the different currencies:

$200,000 x 183/186 = $196,774.19 (the $200,000 needs to be adjusted as it's in CDN funds)

Add those 2 together and divide by 186 for the total daily cap hit, aside from the currency adjustment. $204,838.71/186 = $1,101.28 daily cap hit.

I know this is not your final submission and don't mean to complicate the issue, however, if the 186 is to represent the playing year. NHLnumbers has the playing year listed as 193. apologize now if I miss-read your calculations.

I know this is not your final submission and don't mean to complicate the issue, however, if the 186 is to represent the playing year. NHLnumbers has the playing year listed as 193. apologize now if I miss-read your calculations.

Yeah, I suppose it'd help if I looked up the number of days this year - it's been 186 for several years now. Thanks.

Does he really get 200k in the AHL????? and not 60k?

I have read here, and on ‘Habs I/O ‘ Henry had hand surgery and is out for 4-6 weeks. I now read on the Canadiens site ‘ Bulldogs head to Scotland’ dated, Tuesday, 22.09.2009 / 4:46 PM /

From canadiens.com

“A total of 25 players will be making the trip, including the 19 players cut from the Canadiens camp Monday night. The remainder will made up of Alex Henry, in addition to five players from the Cincinnati Cyclones, Hamilton's ECHL affiliate”

One report seems to contradict the other, anyone know the true report?.

Yep, he's getting $200,000 in the AHL. In fact, the Bulldogs payroll is going to be a lot higher than normal this season.

how the heck does henry get $200,000.00 playing in the nhl? Has he got pictures of someone with a goat?