Training camp cuts

PMAC

how the heck does henry get $200,000.00 playing in the nhl? Has he got pictures of someone with a goat?

Every team has a few veterans like this - they want to stay in North America but at the same time aren't willing to accept simply the minimum AHL salary - this is the compromise. The Habs actually have 8 players on two-way deals making over $100,000 for their minor league salaries.

I have read here, and on ‘Habs I/O ‘ Henry had hand surgery and is out for 4-6 weeks. I now read on the Canadiens site ‘ Bulldogs head to Scotland’ dated, Tuesday, 22.09.2009 / 4:46 PM /

From canadiens.com

“A total of 25 players will be making the trip, including the 19 players cut from the Canadiens camp Monday night. The remainder will made up of Alex Henry, in addition to five players from the Cincinnati Cyclones, Hamilton's ECHL affiliate”

One report seems to contradict the other, anyone know the true report?.

Doesn't necessarily contradict when you look at it. Henry may very well have made the trip - if you happened to read our chat transcript with Derek Wills from last month, he noted that Henry made the most sense of taking over Hamilton's captaincy. He may just be going just to be with the guys, but not playing.

Edit: I found this quote in The Spec that confirms my speculation:

NOTES: Defenceman Alex Henry is out 6-8 weeks with a hand injury and consequently hasn't been formally assigned to Hamilton but he's with the club in Scotland.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sergei Kostitsyn gets cut today before the team heads for Toronto. That's a bit of a surprise, considering the report was there weren't going to be any cuts until partway through the "retreat."

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/283241.html

If that's not a wake up call, I don't know what is.

I think he has an opportunity here to go to Hamilton and rediscover what brought him to the NHL in the first place. Here's hoping he takes it like a man and doesn't run off to Russia or pull a Grabovsky.

This gives Stewart a better fighting chance at a roster spot... or maybe an 8th defenseman in the form of Weber or Carle. Should be interesting to see how the rest of the cuts unfold. I suppose injuries will be a factor early on (unless everyone is truly healthy enough to start the season.

Sergei Kostitsyn gets cut today before the team heads for Toronto.

Oh, Dear God!!! Just like last season when he was sent down.....the whining and complaining will be endless.....I am an NHL Superstar....I am better than all the AhL players on the Hamilton Bulldogs...Oh, whoa is me for being sent down....everybody should feel sorry for me......

You had better keep your mouth shut this time, Sergei, or I will personally pay for your airplane ticket back to Russia.

Kinda crappy timing for Sergei. He doesn't even get to check out Scotland.

Here's hoping he's matured, and makes the same impact that he did the first time he was called up.

I'm a bit surprized:

1. because yesterday he was on the roster. Anyway it official http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=500052

2. because I fail to understand why some of you appear happy that this happened. I know that Sergei needs to grow up a bit, but certainly a top prospect not making the team is cause for concern?

Sergei Kostitsyn gets cut today before the team heads for Toronto. That's a bit of a surprise, considering the report was there weren't going to be any cuts until partway through the "retreat."

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/283241.html

A question that has been bothering me for some time, perhaps obvious to most ,but still a mystery for me.

If a player that has to clear waivers going down to Hamilton but is free from waivers to return during the season. Example, G Stewart,

If he is returned to the AHL prior to the start of the season ( Oct.1st.) must he still have to clear waivers from ‘training camp’?

A question that has been bothering me for some time, perhaps obvious to most ,but still a mystery for me.

If a player that has to clear waivers going down to Hamilton but is free from waivers to return during the season. Example, G Stewart,

If he is returned to the AHL prior to the start of the season ( Oct.1st.) must he still have to clear waivers from ‘training camp’?

Depends on this:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1838

:)

I'm a bit surprized:

1. because yesterday he was on the roster. Anyway it official http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=500052

2. because I fail to understand why some of you appear happy that this happened. I know that Sergei needs to grow up a bit, but certainly a top prospect not making the team is cause for concern?

I agree that it's disappointing. I was one of those who was really impressed with this kid when he first came up and thought maybe he could be - if not a star - then a damned good top-6 forward for us. Now you have to wonder whether he'll be gone, yet another "promising young Montreal talent" gone down the organizational drain (Higgins, Komisarek, Grabovski, Ribeiro, possibly Plekaenc, etc., etc. - what the hell happened to the Great Rebuild we were all bragging about two years ago anyway?)

One consolation is that even Markov went through this sort of thing. Perhaps Andrei should have a chat with young Sergei.

I agree that it's disappointing. I was one of those who was really impressed with this kid when he first came up and thought maybe he could be - if not a star - then a damned good top-6 forward for us. Now you have to wonder whether he'll be gone, yet another "promising young Montreal talent" gone down the organizational drain (Higgins, Komisarek, Grabovski, Ribeiro, possibly Plekaenc, etc., etc. - what the hell happened to the Great Rebuild we were all bragging about two years ago anyway?)

One consolation is that even Markov went through this sort of thing. Perhaps Andrei should have a chat with young Sergei.

Sergei should also realize that his brother spent most of 3 seasons in Hamilton before making the Habs. In comparison, Sergei has only been in Hamilton for about 3 months total, or half a season in 2 years.

Thanks, but I had that list already, I was looking for a explanation of the ‘rules’ that apply to waivers, and when they take effect.

Everyday of the calendar year, except for the roster freeze days around Christmas, the All-Star break, or this year the Olympics. Waivers apply after the trading deadline and through the playoffs, even. They apply every single day of training camp.

YEah, Sergei going down before Maxwell, Carle, Weber, and Stewart has to be a message Jacques was making.

There are no games coming up. Sergei basically just got kicked off the team field trip. I wonder if he said or did anything that particularly pissed Martin off to send Kosty home an hour before the flight (and I believe the farm team's still in Europe, so he has nowhere to go).

There are no games coming up. Sergei basically just got kicked off the team field trip. I wonder if he said or did anything that particularly pissed Martin off to send Kosty home an hour before the flight (and I believe the farm team's still in Europe, so he has nowhere to go).

Might have been told to find an apartment in Hamilton, he'll be there for a while.

So, Chipchura makes the final cut. I wonder how much ice time he'll see.

None, at least until the shoulder injury is healed and he is cleared for contact. After that, he might take Stewart's spot

Everyday of the calendar year, except for the roster freeze days around Christmas, the All-Star break, or this year the Olympics. Waivers apply after the trading deadline and through the playoffs, even. They apply every single day of training camp.

First , Thank you for the information. I’m not knowledgeable in that area and can’t suggest otherwise for your post. For so many years now I have believed the waiver rule only applied from the first day of NHL play ( Oct.1st. this year ) until June 30th. The NHL player contract year.

A example of your understanding would be Rob Schremp being claimed earlier this week from Edmonton. My concern is, of the cuts made with the Habs there were more than just a few that would have had to clear waivers, Yet not one was claimed? Not even claimed to send to their AHL affiliates. Is there a unwritten agreement between GM’s to not claim prior to the star,t or are our AHL cuts just not as good as some of us believe?.

So, Chipchura makes the final cut. I wonder how much ice time he'll see.

I believe Chipchura signed a 'one way' contract for this season in order not to be AHL eligible.

Ice time is another matter with Metropolit still there.