NHL season thread

JoeLassister

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Details of who the Flames get in return are still unknown, but when asked if forwards Matt Stajan and Niklas Hagman were main components in the Phaneuf deal, a source told TSN, "it's bigger than that."'

Phaneuf to Toronto as per TSN.

Fan590 reports Toskala to Anaheim for Giguere as well. Neither confirmed yet though.

Oh f*** me. Now the Habs gotta worry about cheap hits from Phaneuf 6 times a year?

Just watched the Burke press conference. He told all the reporters to sit for a few minutes. He left and should be back in a few minutes with a second confirmed trade (probably Giguere).

Holy shit

I don't know why I'm surprised because I said last week if this kept up, Phanuef would be the one to go. I didn't think it'd be in a trade like this though. I thought it'd be for an elite scorer, not a couple of decent ones. Good trade for the Leafs, holding judgment for the Flames.

But Phanuef isn't a Flame anymore, woohoo! Awesome news both as an Avs fan AND in my ability to cheer for the Flames.

Edited by jetsniper

This demonstrates how no trade clauses are not all that important. I've been to southern california, and I've been to toronto. I know where I'd rather play hockey. Giguere waived his ntc, to go to the last place leafs.

This demonstrates how no trade clauses are not all that important. I've been to southern california, and I've been to toronto. I know where I'd rather play hockey. Giguere waived his ntc, to go to the last place leafs.

He's a competitor, though, and he was no longer the starter in Anaheim. Most guys would waive a NTC to go somewhere to be a starter again.

He's a competitor, though, and he was no longer the starter in Anaheim. Most guys would waive a NTC to go somewhere to be a starter again.

Also helps when his favourite goalie coach just happens to be Toronto's coach (François Allaire).

Not to mention he'd be returning to his old goalie coach and GM.

Here, from the other thread:

Higgs is going to CGY so the Flames can make their move for Lecav. Remember all those rumours years ago about Higgsy being the key ingredient that the Bolts wanted for Vinnie? And now the Flames have off-loaded a pile of salary and have acquired at least one asset that the Bolts have coveted in a while. And before you tell me that Higgs sucks, I know. But that doesn't mean Tampa doesn't want him. When the sale of the Bolts gets announced tomorrow, don't be shocked if Lecav becomes a Flamer by late evening.

All opinion based on conjecture, I know. But it all seems to be a case of ducks in a row, IMO. Iggy needs a centreman to feed him the puck. Cue the Cav.

Though I spose it could be Kovalchuk as well.

Sutter isn't interested in Kovalchuk because he doesn't think Kovul would stay in Calgary. Of course that was also before he unloaded Jokinen and Phaneuf's contracts. He went into detail about why he didn't want Kovalchuk last week though.

I'm gonna be ecstatic if the Flames get Lecavalier though.

Man, Sutter is kicking ass and taking names. This is fun to watch. I like this deal too, Jokinen was another huge distraction that wasn't doing anything on the ice. He'd take an extra second to make a decision with the puck and would always get knocked off. He was always standing still as well making it tough on his wingers. We've got about a million Prust clones too and both players coming back are much better. Haven't been a fan of Higgins but I've always liked Kotalik.

Taking a look at the contracts, and Calgary hasn't really unloaded that much salary. Stajan and Higgins are both free agents after the season, though. It's gonna suck if "expiring contracts" become a valuable trade commodity like in the NBA.