GDT: Senators vs Canadiens (Pre-Season #2)

dlbalr

I've waited so long for a Habs player wearing #21 to bury a one-timer...

Once again, the 'big guns' logged heavy minutes tonight. Gionta over 22 minutes, Plekanec just under 22, Mara over 25. That last one is intriguing, as Mara played decent aside from 4 giveaways - he could be an option to play with Markov, nice to see he can handle a bigger workload (at least for one game). Gill had 7. :puke:

Maxwell 75% on the draw (6/8), in fact, the only Hab to be below 50% was Pyatt (3/9).

Hits wise, Belle led the way with 6, Pacioretty 5, Conboy 4.

3 stars:

1) Gionta

2) Plekanec

3) Spezza

By the way, Neilson's final PIM count: 37. Hopefully that's the last we see of him, little hockey sense/skill and staged fights at this point in the preseason are mind-numbing to watch. For those of you hoping he could see time with the Habs during the season, note that he's on a minor league deal only.

By the way, Neilson's final PIM count: 37. Hopefully that's the last we see of him, little hockey sense/skill and staged fights at this point in the preseason are mind-numbing to watch. For those of you hoping he could see time with the Habs during the season, note that he's on a minor league deal only.

What? Neilson was great for us tonight. Why is the pre-season a bad time to fight? I think you must be thinking of the playoffs.

What? Neilson was great for us tonight. Why is the pre-season a bad time to fight? I think you must be thinking of the playoffs.

I despise staged fights, we all know Neilson can fight, he has all his career. 2 fights isn't going to prove anything (he got hosed on that 3rd call, I agree). Real fights are good, but these "let's take off the helmets, gloves, drop the stick" things are beyond useless. He's not fighting for a roster spot, he's fighting...for something to do, I'd much rather see someone who has a chance get that ice time to try and learn something. The sooner the roster gets cut, the better - mind you, that won't be until after the 5th game.

Look, was he better than I expected? Sure, but I wasn't expecting much. He hustled which is good, but when this guy couldn't even hold down a full time spot in the AHL last year, there's no need to get even the slightest bit excited.

I despise staged fights, we all know Neilson can fight, he has all his career. 2 fights isn't going to prove anything (he got hosed on that 3rd call, I agree). Real fights are good, but these "let's take off the helmets, gloves, drop the stick" things are beyond useless. He's not fighting for a roster spot, he's fighting...for something to do, I'd much rather see someone who has a chance get that ice time to try and learn something. The sooner the roster gets cut, the better - mind you, that won't be until after the 5th game.

Look, was he better than I expected? Sure, but I wasn't expecting much. He hustled which is good, but when this guy couldn't even hold down a full time spot in the AHL last year, there's no need to get even the slightest bit excited.

ahhh a purist look the only way he can make the team and it's a long shot to hit everyone he sees. drop the gloves and drop em fast. It is part of the pre season to watch who really wants to to make the team. he ain't a goal scoreer so what you have him do? he wants bgl's job. It is his only chance so e is showing that he can fight not afraid of anyone and will stand up for his team mates. more power to him. :hlogo:

Whenever you're on the ice, your goal is to help the team win the game. If that means fighting, than that's what you gotta do. Simple as that in my book.

Nice PP work by Maxwell and Carle. Maxwell impressed me so far, he looks much quicker in his execution than during his NHL stint last year.

I agree that Maxwell looked pretty good last night. The game was pretty sloppy but he shows promise.

Gill is so freaking slow it is unbelievable!

Gianta is so freaking small it is unbelievable! His speed is amazing though and he went into traffic all night long.

Mara bobbled the puck a bit but he looks like he is going to be solid.

I can't wait to see the full roster play :clap:

It's Gregory Stewart job he'd be after. 4th line agitator who can drop the gloves. But even then, Stewart might not even make the regular roster. I'm guessing Moen-Metropolit-Laraque would be the 4th.

and that would be why i said bgl's job cause he has one . Stewart may not make the team.

What is a staged fight? At least this guy is not a reluctant fighter like our vegan BGL.

What is a staged fight? At least this guy is not a reluctant fighter like our vegan BGL.

IF this new injury is another back problem, which apparently the team is denying, then BGL is almost certainly finished as an NHL player. Even if it's *not* a back injury, it may be a sign that his body has just quit on him; the guy is hurt almost all the time. Hopefully he will do the decent thing and save the Habs the cap space by retiring.

Having said all that, BGL's veganism is a principled ethical stand and he is courageous for going public with it. Respect where it's due.

IF this new injury is another back problem, which apparently the team is denying, then BGL is almost certainly finished as an NHL player. Even if it's *not* a back injury, it may be a sign that his body has just quit on him; the guy is hurt almost all the time. Hopefully he will do the decent thing and save the Habs the cap space by retiring.

Having said all that, BGL's veganism is a principled ethical stand and he is courageous for going public with it. Respect where it's due.

Frankly given his lack of aggression I wish he had taken up paganism.

Dropping the gloves, stick, helmets, and participating a little slap fight while the tension builds...despite this being off the faceoff where clearly no tensions have built between the players, nor was he sticking up for someone else. The only thing that fight was missing was a thumb war when they were slapping hands.

Dropping the gloves, stick, helmets, and participating a little slap fight while the tension builds...despite this being off the faceoff where clearly no tensions have built between the players, nor was he sticking up for someone else. The only thing that fight was missing was a thumb war when they were slapping hands.

The preseaason is always full of staged fights as enforcers look to make a name and roster spot for themselves. It is part of the game. Most on here have come to agree that the team needs an enforcer and were truely pissed at BGL last season for not being that guy and at Carbo for not playing him when we were pushed around, as in the TB game. I am all for the enforcer in hockey and during the preseason the only way to show what you can do is usually through staged fights, as there is not the intensity in the game nor the animosity that shows up later in the season.

The preseaason is always full of staged fights as enforcers look to make a name and roster spot for themselves. It is part of the game. Most on here have come to agree that the team needs an enforcer and were truely pissed at BGL last season for not being that guy and at Carbo for not playing him when we were pushed around, as in the TB game. I am all for the enforcer in hockey and during the preseason the only way to show what you can do is usually through staged fights, as there is not the intensity in the game nor the animosity that shows up later in the season.

I agree completely, you need to make a name for yourself...but fighting a career AHL enforcer doesn't exactly prove anything. The Neil one was the eyeopener, but the other 2 were meaningless; taking on guys you'll never see in the NHL proves what? I'd have rather seen him focus on proving he can play a little bit as I don't see the Habs wanting to carry a 2 minute a game player when guys like Stewart and Laraque can actually take a somewhat regular shift (8-10 mins per game). He fought so many times, he didn't get enough of a chance to show his on-ice skills and that will probably hurt his cause.