GDT: Penguins - Canadiens, Pre-Season #5

dlbalr

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was fun game, especially with the 3 goals come back.

So Pacioretty seemed to have been injured on that Orpik hit. Forced Martin to use Camm-Gom-Gio together. Man, is it tempting or not for Martin to keep them together?

Lats burying that garbage goal is what will get his confidence going. I think brobin has a point, Lats might not have the top notch hand-eye coordination you look for in top liners. He's really effective when slowing the game down or when he's stationary.

BTW, Lats & Laps might just be what the doctor ordered for AKost. Chemistry is a funny thing. Having Lats and Laps drive the net and do the dirty work could give the breathing room AKost seems to need to be comfortable. The no-nonsense style of 84 & 40 might also rub off on 46.

Wow, Gionta is better than I thought he was. I was also impressed with Stewart (especially in the 1st) and Pyatt (especially in the 3rd). Both looked like they harbour some sort of NHL potential, which is especially surprising for Pyatt.

I was disappointed with Kostitsyn and hoping for a bit more from Cammalleri and Spacek.

My dad got home from work in time to watch the 3rd with me, and about 3 minutes to go he looked at me and said, "you know its nice to have players who play to win the game til the end even if theyre down a goal". I thought about it and it is a good feeling..... those boys were FLYING tonight. Can't wait til next thursday!

:hlogo:

Unreal game by Gionta last year none of the Habs skilled wingers went into the danger zone to score goals in the crease. Then the Habs bring in the shortest guy in the league and he whacks away and gets grimy all night long.

I LOVE BRIAN GIONTA and he is NOT overpaid. He is the type of skilled player that not matter how is producing offensively he always works hard and comes to play.

Martin looks like he might try the 3 new guys together and see how they do but after that it will be tough to separate the two devils boys.

My dad got home from work in time to watch the 3rd with me, and about 3 minutes to go he looked at me and said, "you know its nice to have players who play to win the game til the end even if theyre down a goal". I thought about it and it is a good feeling..... those boys were FLYING tonight. Can't wait til next thursday!

:hlogo:

There certainly seemed to be energy and determination out there :clap:

Unreal game by Gionta last year none of the Habs skilled wingers went into the danger zone to score goals in the crease. Then the Habs bring in the shortest guy in the league and he whacks away and gets grimy all night long.

I LOVE BRIAN GIONTA and he is NOT overpaid. He is the type of skilled player that not matter how is producing offensively he always works hard and comes to play.

Martin looks like he might try the 3 new guys together and see how they do but after that it will be tough to separate the two devils boys.

Hell of a pair. :hockey::clap:

Not to be a killjoy, and NOT to deny that those are good players...BUT:

It's preseason. Let's see if Gionta is still wowing us as much when the other guys start giving a sh*t.

I'm just sayin'.

(The inverse is true, too...let's wait to see how he does when the games actually matter an iota before shipping Kostitsyn out of town, shall we?) :hockey:

I didnt notice Cammy much until he was put with Gomez and Gionta and then it became impossible not to notice all 3 of them. :clap:

That looked impressive all 3 together. If they can keep that up I doubt many will be bitching about Bob acquiring them or their salaries. Gomez sure didnt look out of place as a bonified 1st line C tonight.

Am I the only one who is going to have to get used to seeing a Habs jersey with 21 on it actually hitting the net? I cant wait to see Gio on a break away, I bet he can finish those too. :P

I hope Martin has the concept of the long break away passes and is driving it in hard, it kinda looked like it tonight. The Habs had quite a few missed chances and hopefully with a bit more time gelling they can capitalize on them more. The Habs definitely had way more scoring chances in this game than the Pens. That seemed to be the Habs problem last year, missing scoring chances. However this year all 3 of the new top forwards all have an offensive knack and know its not a race to the goal line. Its nice watching them drive in hard and then let up, stop, wait, etc and watch the play develop instead of rushing the play. I also liked the way Martin didnt have them conceding over 75% of the ice surface and rushing back into their own zone every time the Pens cleared the puck, that grew old last year and had to go.

Is Vertigo back for this year or just preseason? When the Habs 1st started using Vertigo I wasnt a fan of that song, but with time it grew on me and last year it just wasnt the same without it so I am glad its back. ^_^

The Gomez line was incredible. They were so fun to watch. Was it just me or did this line really boost Markov as well? Markov was all over the place, being involved in the passing clinic. He was always one to pinch but last night he was really out there.

I really liked the Laps, Latendresse and Kostitsyn line too. It helped kost a bunch but it also seemed to get the other two moving better too. Maybe it was just the energy from the power line rubbing off but this line has some possibilities. Plekanec might be playing on the third line soon.

Price was outstanding.

Edited by Prime Minister Koivu

Good game by most of our players. AK46 is still asleep at the wheel. Let's just hope that when the real season starts, he'll be awake.

Let's not get carried away with our emotions...we all know that pre-season doesn't mean anything!

Edited by Habsfan

I know it's easy to get caught up in the preseason hype, but I'm excited so far from what I've seen. Chemistry is one thing you can get excited for in the preseason, and it looks like pockets of chemistry is forming. Same with attitude, attitude carries over to the regular season and I like the attitude the players are showing, the attitude of giving a damn.

Yes, pre season doesn't mean much. However for habs players it means alot. They need to start winning, playing for 60 minutes, winning battles, playing defense and gaining chemisrtry. None of those things happened last year, or 14 out of the last 15 years.

The speed is apparant, the higher level of talent is apparant. Actually playing hard in a 3rd period when behind, unheard of from prior habe teams.

I would start Cammi Gomez Gionta to start the year.

AK46 seems to do his best work when he is "the guy" on a line.

I might consider SK Pleks AK46 for the 2nd line

Lats Lapierre Moen

Pacioretty Metro Laraque

D pairings i really don't know, i only saw 1 game

Markov could be paired Spacek and have Hamrlik and Mara as the shut down guys

1 thing is for sure, the D end needs some serious attention. You could see them at times falling back into old habits.

Price looked solid.

Sergei Kostitsyn hasn't done anything to warrant him getting a 2nd line spot. Pacioretty deserves way more...and he'll probably stat the season on the 2nd line. Sergei had better wake up, or else he'll start the season in Hamilton!

Sergei Kostitsyn hasn't done anything to warrant him getting a 2nd line spot. Pacioretty deserves way more...and he'll probably stat the season on the 2nd line. Sergei had better wake up, or else he'll start the season in Hamilton!

Honestly I do not think either of them has done much of anything to earn the 2nd line ICE time.

I would say by Sergei missing that bus that is a negative in his corner but on the ice neither has been impressive.

Both guys will get chances to play on offensive lines this year but who starts there is anyone's guess.

Yeah Pacioretty continues to skate hard and use his body but do nothing with the puck whatsoever. I still say put him in the AHL to develop his offensive instincts or else he might become the Chad Kilger of his generation.

I'd still split up the 3 newbies and put Cammalleri and Gomez together with Kostitsyn to start the year. Gionta and Plekanec have looked good together so I think we have two good starts on lines and if we ever need a late goal we can always change things up and put the 3 new guys together late for a spark.

D'Agostini is lost out there. He needs to be given a defined role, because if he's on Lapierre's wing to start the year I think he'll be a defensive liability. I'd put Sergei there ahead of him, or give Chips a try when he gets healthy.

Actually playing hard in a 3rd period when behind, unheard of from prior habe teams.

Price looked solid.

You're forgetting 2 years ago when we practically owned the 3rd period. (Remember the comeback against the Rangers, for example?)

Price was better this game but the 3rd goal was still weak and 3 goals in 28 shots is not great (.893 save percentage). (Even worse, 7 goals in 44 shots = .841 save percentage).

Halak has been the better goalie but as usual, they'll give the job to Price based on politics and expectations.

Politics = Gainey's 1st pick and 5th overall - can't make the GM look bad by not making his pick # 1

Expectations = Price is the so-called goalie of the future. Who cares if we lost a series 4 straight!!!? Isn't it more important to develop Price?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yeah, for those who haven't figured it out, there's a healthy dose of sarcasm being meted out here.)

- Jack

Price was better this game but the 3rd goal was still weak and 3 goals in 28 shots is not great (.893 save percentage). (Even worse, 7 goals in 44 shots = .841 save percentage).

I'm almost certain your numbers are wrong. Carey has made 49 saves on 56 shots for a total save% of .875

Game 1: 9 saves on 9 shots

Game 3: 12 saves on 16 shots

Game 5: 28 saves on 31 shots

Many of the saves he made last night came from dangereous shots, especially in the 1st period. Carey kept them in the game!

I agree that a save % of .875 is not great, but like I said earlier, give him some time to get his groove back!

Edited by Habsfan

As for the interesting question of whether we should mash Gionta, Gomez, and Cammi together on one $18.5-million line: I'm sure Martin will try and spread the wealth and conventional wisdom would indeed put one of those wingers on a second line with Plekanec. But I kinda like the idea of a Super Line and letting kids carry the ball on the second-line. You're right, Kostitsyn seems to work best as the 'Go To' guy on a line (didn't he do better in games where he wasn't paired with Kovalev last season?); and Plekanec has shown tendencies to become neurotic and insecure when asked to centre intimidating veterans (remember him wilting as Kovalev's C in 2007?). Plus, with all the elite talent on one line, the Pleks line won't face any heavy-duty checkers. It just seems like the personalities and talents involved would flourish better under an 'All Eggs in One Basket' philosophy, letting the 'young vets' Pleks/Kostitsyn fly under the radar and find their own groove.

Just a thought.