Sergei wants to be traded

rafikz

interview with sk74 http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,193677

does not know why he was demoted, sez he was told there was a spot on the team for him. Guess he thought he did not have to make the team they were awarding him a spot. hmph he needs to go watch some game film of himself maybe he can figure it out. Maybe someone could explain to him what we mean when we say the forward defence distance is too great. Gretzky could hang out at the blue line or centre ice SK can't period.

Ya know, it's just possible this is all a miscommunication. He maybe thought he was guaranteed a spot; therefore he wasn't laying it all out there in preseason. But what Bob meant (obviously!) is that he was in the mix, part of their plans, and if he came prepared he'd play. In short, Sergei's idea of 'preparation' and Bob's were totally different. (Don't forget, L'il Kosty is just a kid and there's a cultural/generational gap to consider).

In my ideal universe, Gainey would call Sergei and explain the misunderstanding. Then tell him that all he has to do is play some games in Hamilton that show the kind of gumption that defined his game in 2007-08 and he'll be back.

Won't happen, though...unfortunately.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ever think atheletes ever take stock of how this makes them look in other peoples eyes? I mean you quit one team, what guarantees does a potential team have you will not do the same thing.

Ya know, it's just possible this is all a miscommunication. He maybe thought he was guaranteed a spot; therefore he wasn't laying it all out there in preseason. But what Bob meant (obviously!) is that he was in the mix, part of their plans, and if he came prepared he'd play. In short, Sergei's idea of 'preparation' and Bob's were totally different. (Don't forget, L'il Kosty is just a kid and there's a cultural/generational gap to consider).

In my ideal universe, Gainey would call Sergei and explain the misunderstanding. Then tell him that all he has to do is play some games in Hamilton that show the kind of gumption that defined his game in 2007-08 and he'll be back.

I would think that has happened already. Jacques did not seem to have any problem communicating with him in the famous video we all saw. let's don't start the "coach can't communicate" thing again, we already saw that picture show last year. Maybe a spoiled kid just don't want to listen, it's easier to ask for a trade than work your a$$ off so you can make millions of dollars. I have no sympathy for any player who pulls this crap including 50 goal scorers.

I think that this might actually happen via SK's agent of course. I can see him changing his mind after a few weeks/months without a salary.

I would be ecstatic if we could get sharp for SK but I cant see that happening--at least not one for one.

I would think that has happened already. Jacques did not seem to have any problem communicating with him in the famous video we all saw. let's don't start the "coach can't communicate" thing again, we already saw that picture show last year. Maybe a spoiled kid just don't want to listen, it's easier to ask for a trade than work your a$$ off so you can make millions of dollars. I have no sympathy for any player who pulls this crap including 50 goal scorers.

No, in the interview Sergei says it was BOB who told him there was a place for him. In no way am I blaming Martin (or Bob...like I said, 'misunderstanding' might be the issue here).

As for Grabovski 2.0...that's kinda my point. When I see that little pisspot buzzing around in a Leafs jersey, I see a talented player with lethal speed and skill who seems to be maturing into a bona fide pro and a quality 2nd-line C. I'd like us to find a way to enable these childish and immature hotheads to grow up IN a Habs' jersey, instead of out of town and to the benefit of other organizations.

I wonder if something could happen with Chicago.

Both brothers, and Weber or Carle for Sharp (3.9M) and, one of Keith (1.6M) and Seabrook (3.5M).

We downgrade at forward and upgrade a D in a time of need, while taking on extra salary. Would put us in a tough situation when Markov returns. I'm not sure just how much Chicago values those two defencemen... probably a lot.

I wonder if something could happen with Chicago.

Both brothers, and Weber or Carle for Sharp (3.9M) and, one of Keith (1.6M) and Seabrook (3.5M).

We downgrade at forward and upgrade a D in a time of need, while taking on extra salary. Would put us in a tough situation when Markov returns. I'm not sure just how much Chicago values those two defencemen... probably a lot.

Dear God, we'd have better luck trying to call the Bruins and speak about getting Chara than the Hawks trading Keith or Seabrook for our unwanted garbage. Keith is just shy of Markov in terms of effectiveness (stronger defensively but only average offensively in comparison), and Seabrook >>> Komisarek. Keith-Seabrook are one of the top 3-5 defensive pairings in the whole NHL.

Dear God, we'd have better luck trying to call the Bruins and speak about getting Chara than the Hawks trading Keith or Seabrook for our unwanted garbage. Keith is just shy of Markov in terms of effectiveness (stronger defensively but only average offensively in comparison), and Seabrook >>> Komisarek. Keith-Seabrook are one of the top 3-5 defensive pairings in the whole NHL.

Figured they'd be too valuable..

(Andrei Kostitsyn isn't our garbage though)

In comparison to Keith and Seabrook, they are.

Yeah, true enough. Our trading partner in any deal involving Sergei would be in a position of power, his value is very low with his recent performance both on and off the ice. If we were to get a return like Sharp, we'd probably have to add a pick or something to the Brothers

Forget Keith and Seabrook, but make a real push for Barker which Chicago could let go for some weird reason. Makes just $984,200 right now and has crazy upside.

Forget Keith and Seabrook, but make a real push for Barker which Chicago could let go for some weird reason. Makes just $984,200 right now and has crazy upside.

Umm... Barker makes 3.083M.

Tell him that we have more important problems than him right now (Markov injury) and that if he doesnt grow up he can go rot in the japaneese league for the rest of the contract because thats where were sending him.

I was thinking that Barker was the best of the bunch. I guess I was thinking of HWL.

I was thinking that Barker was the best of the bunch. I guess I was thinking of HWL.

It's a bit different. He's the best offensively, the best overall physical package and the most upside, but he's young and still trying to put it all together. Still projects as a #1 QB guy, but Chicago is knee-deep in offensive D and were considering moving him this summer because of the Talon SNAFU.

No, in the interview Sergei says it was BOB who told him there was a place for him. In no way am I blaming Martin (or Bob...like I said, 'misunderstanding' might be the issue here).

As for Grabovski 2.0...that's kinda my point. When I see that little pisspot buzzing around in a Leafs jersey, I see a talented player with lethal speed and skill who seems to be maturing into a bona fide pro and a quality 2nd-line C. I'd like us to find a way to enable these childish and immature hotheads to grow up IN a Habs' jersey, instead of out of town and to the benefit of other organizations.

So don't deal him.

At some point the Habs have to make a stand. Why is everybody assuming he is gone. HE HAS ZERO LEVERAGE.

Sit at home Sergei, sit at home as long as you like and either go to the KHL or don't play.

When you grow up, we will be waiting here. They will NEVER get his value in return, he didn't burn any bridges in that

interview, he said the organization was good to him etc.

This is the attitude that saw Roy shipped out the door. The Habs have NOTHING to lose by letting him sit at home. NOTHING.

His value is not going to decrease if he sits out, or goes to the KHL. So call his bluff Bob. Please call his BLUFF!

So don't deal him.

At some point the Habs have to make a stand. Why is everybody assuming he is gone. HE HAS ZERO LEVERAGE.

Sit at home Sergei, sit at home as long as you like and either go to the KHL or don't play.

When you grow up, we will be waiting here. They will NEVER get his value in return, he didn't burn any bridges in that

interview, he said the organization was good to him etc.

This is the attitude that saw Roy shipped out the door. The Habs have NOTHING to lose by letting him sit at home. NOTHING.

His value is not going to decrease if he sits out, or goes to the KHL. So call his bluff Bob. Please call his BLUFF!

I agree with everything you have said. I would like to ask what would the Canadiens get for the two brothers in the one package? Would the return be worth while?

I normally don`t indulge in this sort of thing, BUT...

The Habs' secret weakness is at the wings. With both Kostitsyns seemingly going AWOL, and Higgins gone, we suddenly have glaring holes there - 2 1/2 regulars effectively subtracted with no viable replacements barring a surge by D'Agostini or something.

So maybe BTH was going somewhere with the Patrick Sharp idea. Since he'd be a salary dump by Chicago, presumably they want picks/prospect(s). I don't think we can lose any more picks, but could a package combining Sergei with someone like Chipchura tempt them - ?

If it did, we'd have a huge cap problem once Markov returns, given Sharp's $4 million salary; but were we to then flip AK47 for some sort of cheap defensive help (a decent young/cheap D, in the mold of Gorges) we might come out more-or-less manageably.

The net result would be we acquire a legitimate top-6 RW in Sharp and lose a player who seems to have soured on Montreal in Kosty.

This doesn't really 'fix' the D, but I don't believe we can replace Markov anyway, and I also think we are in fact weaker at wings than on defence if you look at our team objectively. Use A. Kosty to upgrade our overall youth/depth on D and cross your fingers that the 'committee' system works. Meanwhile you've given Pleks at least one decent winger.

Just thinking out loud.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's a bit different. He's the best offensively, the best overall physical package and the most upside, but he's young and still trying to put it all together. Still projects as a #1 QB guy, but Chicago is knee-deep in offensive D and were considering moving him this summer because of the Talon SNAFU.

Barker's as dumb as a post and his improvements in his hockey sense have been marginal since he left the WHL. His draft position is the only reason people think he can still be a top pairing guy. There was an insane drop off at that 2004 draft from #1 and #2 to #3. The Capitals moving up from #3 to #1 that year in the draft lottery was HUGE. If it just went by standings that year, Ovechkin would've been picked by the Penguins, Malkin to the Blackhawks and the Capitals would've been stuck with Barker. Instead the Hawks now have both the #3 and #4 guys in that draft and neither of them are key franchise building blocks (Barker and Ladd).

I've been following Barker since junior... I remember thinking that Mike Green was better than him, but Team Canada and pretty much every scouting report had a hard on for Barker, and I didn't get it. Funny how things have worked out...

I've been following Barker since junior... I remember thinking that Mike Green was better than him, but Team Canada and pretty much every scouting report had a hard on for Barker, and I didn't get it. Funny how things have worked out...

It's his defensive/physical game that has yet to develop as expected. Offensively he's pretty much where he was projected to be in his development. 0.23, 0.40, 0.59 PPG in his first 3 seasons in the NHL. He can already run a PP. I wouldnt be too worried about the rest of his game. Big defensemen of his type always take 4, 5 years before starting to establish themselves. Pronger, Redden, J-Bo all received the same criticism as Barker early in their careers. Some like Stuart, Klesla, Mara or Hamrlik never even got close to their draft hype for more than a season here or there.

He may still want to be traded, but he's now had a small change of heart and will report to Hamilton - for how long though is anyone's guess.

It's a start... Glad to hear it.