Habs @ Maple Leafs | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Mike Boone of HabsInsideOut.com: Whew! Markov cut. He'll be OK.

Except the most recent post is: Scary news: Markov cut. Let's not even think about Robert Lang.

Markov was cut on top of his foot, not as dangerous as behind it... but still.

Come on you gotta like the line name!

I do!

Markov was cut on top of his foot, not as dangerous as behind it... but still.

Source? My worst fear is a Lang-like injury.

My eyes. The blade of Price's skate was in front of Markov's feet.

Hmm... I thought I saw it hit the back of his leg...

Price was on his left side, his left pad/skate was in front of Marky's feet, his right pad/skate was behind Marky's feet. It's the left one that cut Markov.

If Markov had cut his tendon, he would've been down on the ice in a heap. That didn't happen, so I'm hopeful because of that.

Really, really scary, though.

Mara isn't really slow. He's not fast, but on a backcheck later he kept up with one of the Leafs' more speedy wingers. Can't remember who.

Gill's speed came as advertised, though. A Gill-Mara pairing probably is our slowest possible combination, but it wouldn't be much different than a Gill-O'Byrne one, for example.

A LOT of running around in our own zone. The Leafs looked like they knew what they wanted to accomplish. The Habs were struggling, but they didn't give up, so that's a start. Gotta love the Metropolit-Moen combo... and they got 2 goals!

Tough to geta full read on the team on just one game. Fact is, if some of these guys are going to have a bad game, I'd rather it be in early October than later.

The "Finishing Strong" theme continues. In the 3rd period and OT the Habs won the battles. Once the team gets some chemistry and comfortable in their new roles, I think we'll see stronger starts as well.

Lol, one star player down in game 1, team will be in the ER for most of the season. Every little puss looks good day 1. you got 2 points and lost ur best player.

Can someone ban this waste of space already?

Lol, one star player down in game 1, team will be in the ER for most of the season. Every little puss looks good day 1. you got 2 points and lost ur best player.

says the guy who seems to cheer for a team with Marian Gaborik or Rick Dipietro on their roster... :lol:

Glad we won!

I wish i could wear my Price shirt ;)

And dont ban guys like that, they make a forum interesting. And not boring like it has been for a while!

And its Dalhabs pet, let him enjoy his pet. Btw Dark, stay around a bit longer this time...

Oh, I've been checking the forum regularly for quite some time. I just usually don't bother posting. And I don't mind differing viewpoints and whatnot, but blatant trolling should be dealt with.

We all knew that Komisarek was a bit of a turd. We watched him cheap shot, hit while down, super face wash and crosscheck in the back for years. We shouldn't be surprised that he did it to us. How fitting that his crap cost the leafs the game.

Pacioretti needs to develop in Hamilton. I really don't think that he is ready for the NHL yet.

I don't like our defensive pairings. Spacek actually looked much better after Markov went down. I think both Markov and Spacek are the type of players that need to be in control. Perhaps Mara - Markov and Gill - Spacek.

Gionta is the new fan favourite. What a beast.

Thank you Mr. Price.

WTF was up with the refs last night?

Well the first game is in the books. Great game by Cammalleri, Gionta, Laraque, Moen, Gorges, O'Byrne(is this the same guy as last year?!?!?), Metropolit and especially our boy Price. 43 saves in the 1st game of the year, what a great way to boost his confidence!

I have to say that our d-men looked slow out there(Mara and Gill). It was expected, i just didn't expect them to be THAT slow. I hope it was just the 1st game gitters. I hope that as the season progresses, the guys will gel better and our D won't look as slow as it did last night!

But it was a costly victory. With Markov gone for 3 to 4 months, our PP and then rest of our game will suffer!

Edited by Habsfan

Well the more things change the more they stay the same. Other then new numbers it looked just like last years team. No clue what to do in the D zone, turnovers all over the place, outworked most of the night, the one thing Martin has been stressing was support, i saw it early int he first and quickly turned into the traditional stand and around and watch the leafs have target practice on your goalie. PK sucked.

I am not going to be overly critical about individuals, alot of them haven't played together and that the first full roster game so i will assume Martin will address and correct theiose problems. When they showed pictures of the bench it looked like he was going to have a heartattack watching the D zone.

The good news: They got what they wanted out of Cammi and Gionta that's for sure. Gomez was good and bad, alot of soft turnovers.

The 4th line was good, PP looked ok.

I agree with PMK about the D pairings but not Pacioretty, they are using him wrong. I would put him on the 4th line with Metro and Laraque, just let him sjkate down the wing, forecheck and learn the D system. This will help him this year, he was also a great PK guy in college. Team him the D zone first.

Move Moen with Lats and Lapierre. They only have 5 top 6 guys, AK46 may not be a top 6 guy. D'Agi was worthless.

The D pairings when healthy should be Mara markov. Spacek Hamrlik, Gorges Gil. Gil nneds a skater with him to make up for his lack of foot speed.

Goal for next game, cut down the shots against.

I watched the game and was not impressed by Komisarek's play. If the referee had done a good job, he would have had at least two more penalties. We scored two important goals while he was on the penalty box -- the equalizer being the last. That penalty was particularly stupid.

Komisarek has great heart, but he doesn't play smart. He showed it yesterday. We got a way better defense now than last year, that's for sure.

I had to watch the game on 'Canadiens Express' last night due to work, so I only got the compressed version. Based on that, a few observations:

1. The Leafs just might be a team that surprises people this year. A startling amount of speed up front. Fortunately, their goaltending is mediocre and they have Mike Komisarek :lol:

2. Habs D looked terrible. Before we throw ourselves off a bridge, though, we need to remember the whole 'chemistry' issue. I'll give these guys at least 20 games to gel. Right now, they look like a bunch of individuals - not sure where the other guy is going to be, etc..

3. Cammalleri came exactly as advertised. Not only was he spectacular in OT, but he made an AMAZING play to save the faceoff and set up the first goal. Gamebraker, baby!!

4. Gill also came as advertised. No mobility, some terrible mistakes...BUT he does rub people out.

5. I thought Mara looked pretty good on the PP; but Spacek didn't impress. Since I was one of those who had him pegged as a 'secret weapon,' I hope to see more from him.

6. Gomez: surprisingly indifferent. Frankly, he looked like a soft, skilled player staying out of traffic.

7. It's becoming increasingly official. The Kostitsyn brothers either do not want to do what it takes to play in the NHL or they do not want to play for the Habs. Andrei's game last night was inexcusable from a player with star talent. I fear that we can chalk them up as yet ANOTHER couple of highly-touted Gainey-era picks that somehow fell short. (And speaking of which - I sure wouldn't mind Grabovksi on my team).

7. Price looked GREAT.

On balance, I think we're going to see several games like this for the next few months as the team struggles to get its chemistry straight, particularly on the back end. The good news is that we apparently have the goaltending and gamebreaker offensive talent to squeak out wins even under the circumstances. Nonetheless, there will be endless negativity from some quarters around here until the team starts coming together...we just have to ride it out.

I had to watch the game on 'Canadiens Express' last night due to work, so I only got the compressed version. Based on that, a few observations:

1. The Leafs just might be a team that surprises people this year. A startling amount of speed up front. Fortunately, their goaltending is mediocre and they have Mike Komisarek :lol:

2. Habs D looked terrible. Before we throw ourselves off a bridge, though, we need to remember the whole 'chemistry' issue. I'll give these guys at least 20 games to gel. Right now, they look like a bunch of individuals - not sure where the other guy is going to be, etc..

3. Cammalleri came exactly as advertised. Not only was he spectacular in OT, but he made an AMAZING play to save the faceoff and set up the first goal. Gamebraker, baby!!

4. Gill also came as advertised. No mobility, some terrible mistakes...BUT he does rub people out.

5. I thought Mara looked pretty good on the PP; but Spacek didn't impress. Since I was one of those who had him pegged as a 'secret weapon,' I hope to see more from him.

6. Gomez: surprisingly indifferent. Frankly, he looked like a soft, skilled player staying out of traffic.

7. It's becoming increasingly official. The Kostitsyn brothers either do not want to do what it takes to play in the NHL or they do not want to play for the Habs. Andrei's game last night was inexcusable from a player with star talent. I fear that we can chalk them up as yet ANOTHER couple of highly-touted Gainey-era picks that somehow fell short. (And speaking of which - I sure wouldn't mind Grabovksi on my team).

7. Price looked GREAT.

On balance, I think we're going to see several games like this for the next few months as the team struggles to get its chemistry straight, particularly on the back end. The good news is that we apparently have the goaltending and gamebreaker offensive talent to squeak out wins even under the circumstances. Nonetheless, there will be endless negativity from some quarters around here until the team starts coming together...we just have to ride it out.

And Gionta was awesome, just awesome.

Captain !!!!!!

I don't know how the game-day grades could be critical of Pleks, he had a great game and did get dirty and manufacture offense. Take low percentage shots? That's called putting the puck on the net, and you'd have to go over every situation to see if he actually did have other better options. He was one of the game's 3 stars IMO. I'm glad to see him back!

I don't know how the game-day grades could be critical of Pleks, he had a great game and did get dirty and manufacture offense. Take low percentage shots? That's called putting the puck on the net, and you'd have to go over every situation to see if he actually did have other better options. He was one of the game's 3 stars IMO. I'm glad to see him back!

Yeah, Pleks looked good, although I had the impression that he started better than he finished. Nonetheless, he looked like the old, GOOD Pleks, not last year's confused loser.

It's all moot anyway. With Markov lost the season is a wash.

Agreed, Pleks was good out there. He was skating well and hustled when was necessary.

In any case, I don't think we should panic (except for the loss of Markov). This is but 1 game...81 more to go!