Habs @ Maple Leafs | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

I think Markov being out will give us a chance to see if the youth D can step it up. Maybe overall team D from forwards down to Price will improve, it'll be a true test, lets not all panic yet!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Markov being out will give us a chance to see if the youth D can step it up. Maybe overall team D from forwards down to Price will improve, it'll be a true test, lets not all panic yet!

Too late, I'm in full-bore panic mode.

Oh god...I am too! I'm trying my best to hide it...if the season is a wash, bring up PK Subban...at least make it interesting to watch!

I'm not convinced Subban is ready for the NHL. I think Weber is a bit more ready.

I did not like what I saw of Weber in the playoffs last year, the iconic scene of him getting bowled over by the boston forward stealing the puck and heading in on Price with a break away still lingers in my mind.

I did not like what I saw of Weber in the playoffs last year, the iconic scene of him getting bowled over by the boston forward stealing the puck and heading in on Price with a break away still lingers in my mind.

He may have made a mistake on that play, but trust me, he's ahead of Subban in the organizations depth charts...and more importantly, in Bob's mind as well! ;)

Edited by Habsfan

Well the first game is in the books. Great game by Cammalleri, Gionta, Laraque, Moen, Gorges, O'Byrne(is this the same guy as last year?!?!?), Metropolit and especially our boy Price. 43 saves in the 1st game of the year, what a great way to boost his confidence!

I have to say that our d-men looked slow out there(Mara and Gill). It was expected, i just didn't expect them to be THAT slow. I hope it was just the 1st game gitters. I hope that as the season progresses, the guys will gel better and our D won't look as slow as it did last night!

But it was a costly victory. With Markov gone for 3 to 4 months, our PP and then rest of our game will suffer!

They slowwwwww... but we have to live with that for now... now that I was watching highlights of Price's game I realized how Gill and Mara were clearing the net... Gill even took out 2 players at a time! which gave Pricey that extra fraction of a second to get the rebounds under control! Im happy with that... But Gill and Mara cannot play more than 20-22 min a game.... there is something wrong with their fitness (even spacek looked out of breath)

Now with Markov (30min +) man out we need another top 3 Dman... and in the absence Im in favor of dressing 7 Dmen the 7th playing 4th line duty when not playing D ...

DO I smell DANDYPACK????????????????????????

also when Alex Henry is healthy he can play 7th dressed Dman

They slowwwwww... but we have to live with that for now... now that I was watching highlights of Price's game I realized how Gill and Mara were clearing the net... Gill even took out 2 players at a time! which gave Pricey that extra fraction of a second to get the rebounds under control! Im happy with that... But Gill and Mara cannot play more than 20-22 min a game.... there is something wrong with their fitness (even spacek looked out of breath)

Now with Markov (30min +) man out we need another top 3 Dman... and in the absence Im in favor of dressing 7 Dmen the 7th playing 4th line duty when not playing D ...

Great call. Dandenault is no Markov but he'd give us some solid depth and we can throw him out there to relieve the minutes on the Spaceks, Maras, and Gills of the world. Make the call, Bob!

I actually thought Mara looked OK all around. He was the only Ranger D with a + rating last season, so his defensive game presumably isn't too bad despite mobility issues.

Honestly, did you like what you saw of anyone of the Habs in the playoofs last year ??

He also scored a goal in that game, so I'd say he came out even.

Haha touché Joe, touché.

I'm not dead set again Weber, just more interested to see what Subban can do than Weber or Carle.

Me too, but I think we need to see what Subban can do in the AHL first. Weber is a safer bet.

Me too, but I think we need to see what Subban can do in the AHL first. Weber is a safer bet.

I hear everyone jumping on the Weber and Subban bandwagons but I really like the way Carle played in the exhibition games and he does have some offensive skills. Not as flashy but can get the job done. He has improved greatly after a couple years with injuries. I hope Carle receives the chance and let Subban and Weber mature a bit more in the AHL.

I'm not in complete panic mode, but... we just lost our *best* defenceman for 4 months.

Anyone remember what our stats looked like in the games where Markov didn't play?

This is even worse than the year we lost Koivu to cancer (hockey-wise I mean, of course).

Big, big blow and I'm very bitter at the gods who allow *2* freak accidents in 2 consecutive years, costing us 2 of our best players. :angry:

I'm not in complete panic mode, but... we just lost our *best* defenceman for 4 months.

Anyone remember what our stats looked like in the games where Markov didn't play?

This is even worse than the year we lost Koivu to cancer (hockey-wise I mean, of course).

Big, big blow and I'm very bitter at the gods who allow *2* freak accidents in 2 consecutive years, costing us 2 of our best players. :angry:

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't some terrifying karma whereby all the great stuff that Habs fans got to enjoy from 1950-1993 is destined to be paid for by unending awfulness and bad luck for the next 50 years. Time will tell ^_^

I hear everyone jumping on the Weber and Subban bandwagons but I really like the way Carle played in the exhibition games and he does have some offensive skills. Not as flashy but can get the job done. He has improved greatly after a couple years with injuries. I hope Carle receives the chance and let Subban and Weber mature a bit more in the AHL.

I dunno man, I really DISLIKED what I saw from Carle early in the camp and didn't have the chance to see his 2 last games...

On the other hand, at least the game thread is well attended and not a dud like some last season.

;)

More controvercy, I say! It's good for business. :lol:

It's the Centennial Curse. As long as the Habs brass continue to exploit the ghosts and legends of the past for blatant profit with cheap gimmicks the actual team will be cursed. December 4 can't come soon enough. At least that game at the Big O didn't get approved... I have a feeling that the whole building would've collapsed and killed a lot of people as a result of this curse.

We are not right with the hockey gods. We must repent.

Good idea about Dandy! I wonder if he'd be interested in coming back(at a lower salary of course)??

It's the Centennial Curse. As long as the Habs brass continue to exploit the ghosts and legends of the past for blatant profit with cheap gimmicks the actual team will be cursed. December 4 can't come soon enough. At least that game at the Big O didn't get approved... I have a feeling that the whole building would've collapsed and killed a lot of people as a result of this curse.

We are not right with the hockey gods. We must repent.

I'm also starting to believe we might be cursed! I pray to the hockey gods at least 82 times per year...+/- 4 to 10 games more in the playoffs!;);)

I don't know how the game-day grades could be critical of Pleks, he had a great game and did get dirty and manufacture offense. Take low percentage shots? That's called putting the puck on the net, and you'd have to go over every situation to see if he actually did have other better options. He was one of the game's 3 stars IMO. I'm glad to see him back!

Yeah, Pleks looked good, although I had the impression that he started better than he finished. Nonetheless, he looked like the old, GOOD Pleks, not last year's confused loser.

Agreed, Pleks was good out there. He was skating well and hustled when was necessary.

What I saw from Pleks was a guy getting rid of the puck early and avoiding taking the hits needed to set up good plays. Even Kostitsyn paid the price last night to move the puck better. Also, I'm fairly sure (though I did miss 5 minutes of the 3rd period) that Plekanec never shot from closer than 20 feet of the net, and there was usually little to no traffic in front. I just can't get behind that kind of hockey. He may have skated well and hustled, but it was weak, perimeter hockey EVERY time he had the puck. I didn't see the improvement you did.

I hate to tell you but I told you so. I said someone would be in the hospital, the habs are too weak. BGL isnt scary enough to keep players from getting hit and run on. I must say all though I love to say I told you so, I HATE that it was Markov. Markov is the man, an unbelievable hockey player and teammate. Sad it was you Andrei

I hate to tell you but I told you so. I said someone would be in the hospital, the habs are too weak. BGL isnt scary enough to keep players from getting hit and run on. I must say all though I love to say I told you so, I HATE that it was Markov. Markov is the man, an unbelievable hockey player and teammate. Sad it was you Andrei

How exactly did Markov get hit and run on? How could Laraque have prevented that from happening? A freak accident with your own goalie has no direct correlation to the opponent being played.