Habs sign MA Bergeron

huzer

*shrugs* he's better than Brisebois and Weber.

We'll be happy to have him once we have a healthy D. He and O'Byrne make for a nice 4th pair (depth duo).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the signing. I haven't seen him play much before, and most of the comments I've heard from other fans about his defensive liabilities come from his stays with the Islanders. He does have a cannon shot from the point; when he was with the Oilers he hit 103 mph during a skills competition. There's a Youtube video that shows it.

Last season, he had the best plus/minus among the Wild's defencemen. I have a feeling that so long as the coach limits his role to a #5/6 pairing (except for power play time) then he should be fine for the Habs. That was the same strategy that the Habs used with Brisebois during his second tour of duty, and it worked well for him.

Edited by habscout

I echo the prevailing view around here. Sensible acquisition and a legitimate PP threat. Enhances our ability to replace Markov by committee. Cheap. And thus, unobjectionable.

As for what happens to the cap when Markov returns, geez, just send Bergeron down, no biggie. I'm sure no promises were made.

I echo the prevailing view around here. Sensible acquisition and a legitimate PP threat. Enhances our ability to replace Markov by committee. Cheap. And thus, unobjectionable.

As for what happens to the cap when Markov returns, geez, just send Bergeron down, no biggie. I'm sure no promises were made.

I think Bergeron has been traded twice at the trade deadline. If Markov is good to go, and we can ice a healthy D corps, I figure that's what will happen.

We are fortunate that a guy like Bergeron was available, and for so cheap. (Is it the minimum salary?) He sure has offensive skills, plus he'll play his heart out for the Habs I am sure! Another Habs from Trois-Rivières.. last one was Bégin! Go Bergeron!

I think Bergeron has been traded twice at the trade deadline. If Markov is good to go, and we can ice a healthy D corps, I figure that's what will happen.

If your thinking that he was traded to the NYI on trade day thats incorrect. He was traded 9 days before the deadline. afaik he was only traded once at the deadline. Not sure why but McTavish I beleive never liked him and the Oilers tried to trade him several times.

I always wanted Bob to get him but I guess this works out better signing him now that it would have previously been to trade for him because his contract is low and it didnt cost any picks or prospects. Personally I would have signed him for more than 1 year, even 3 yrs at 1mil/yr cap hit, (750K, 1, 1.25). Trust me he would be worth it. I'm surprised that Bergs was still a UFA. Was Bob the 1st GM to contact him? :blink:

Another reason why I like it: the Habs now have 2 dmen that helped the same team get to the Cup finals in the last 5 years. Spacek and Bergs.

Personally I'm not sure where the Bergs is bad defensively comes from. I'm pretty sure its not from his short time on Long Island. Bergs had 21 pts in 23 Games and was +5 with NYI. Bergs and Smyth were the 2 who stole the Habs playoff spot that year.

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Cereal? Actually Right Arm is just a parody expression, it has nothing to do with his dexterity. :D

Not sure if there is any relation but Michel Bergy is probably happy either way.

OH haha I see!!! My bad! :D

I am not really familiar with him but it seems like an excellent gap filling signing: i.e., low risk, low cap hit @750K/year and free in terms of us surrendering assets. He may be able to put some life in the powerplay. I really hope it doesnt take him too long to get into shape. At first glance, I like this option far better than the rumoured return of Breezer or Dandy.

Some info on MA Bergeron:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=35604

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...amp;hubname=nhl

What I heard was that he has good offensive skills, plus he's got a howitzer from the point. The biggest problem with this guy is that he's listed at 5'9", but according to Pierre McGuire, there's no way that M-A Bergeron is that tall. He's closer to 5'7" !!!

What I heard was that he has good offensive skills, plus he's got a howitzer from the point. The biggest problem with this guy is that he's listed at 5'9", but according to Pierre McGuire, there's no way that M-A Bergeron is that tall. He's closer to 5'7" !!!

Well we gave the cube double what he's getting and he was pretty small. As long as his minutes are low, he should be fine.

Then I guess thats just another reason why McGuire is an idiot. Theres no way he's 5'7". Bergs would be tougher than Cube if he was that small (he'd be 1" sorter and 1lbs heavier than Cube), and he's nowhere near as tough as Cube. One site has Bergs listed at 5'10".

When are you guys gonna learn, McGuire is like Don Cherry: he has specific likes and dislikes and these inform everything he says. Cherry is especially obnoxious because he's just a partisan of specific teams (Leafs, Bruins) and nationalities (Canada, US, in that order). In the case of McGuire, it's more of a simple hockey bias: he has a permanent hard-on for big, strong (and preferably mean) players; and a permanent distaste for small, shifty, talented ones. It is this bias that led him to his ridiculous pronouncements on Komisarek ('Markov will be exposed' without him, dontcha know) and the Leafs in general, to his many claims that Mike Ribeiro would never amount to anything in the NHL, his non-stop fellatio of Chris Pronger, and his recent run of relentless Habs-bashing. It all comes back to the One True Profile of Player that Pierre McGuire Likes. No deviation from that standard permitted, and any deviation will be 'punished' by scorn and criticism from his microphone. Since the rest of us know better, we should just ignore him.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Then I guess thats just another reason why McGuire is an idiot. Theres no way he's 5'7". Bergs would be tougher than Cube if he was that small (he'd be 1" sorter and 1lbs heavier than Cube), and he's nowhere near as tough as Cube. One site has Bergs listed at 5'10".

First of all, I didn'T say he was 5'7", I said he was closer to 5'7" than 5'9". Secondly, I don't M-A Bergeron is as tough as Bouillon. Cube might have been small, but untill George Laraque arrived with teh habs, he was the strongest guy in the dressing room.

Lastly, Not only idid I hear McGuire say that Bergeron was small, But I also heard it on CKAC sports. I only mentionned McGuire cause most of you know him, whereas most of you don'T know who Danny Dubé or Francois gagnon are!

First of all, I didn'T say he was 5'7", I said he was closer to 5'7" than 5'9". Secondly, I don't M-A Bergeron is as tough as Bouillon. Cube might have been small, but untill George Laraque arrived with teh habs, he was the strongest guy in the dressing room.

Lastly, Not only idid I hear McGuire say that Bergeron was small, But I also heard it on CKAC sports. I only mentionned McGuire cause most of you know him, whereas most of you don'T know who Danny Dubé or Francois gagnon are!

Dont get mad at me. :lol:

I've watched Bergs play for years, and its true he isnt large, but he isnt a smurf either. I think thats why the Oils didnt like him. I beleive at that time the Oils had a smaller sized team like the Habs used to have and they need large dmen, which isnt Bergs. Bergs is in no way the same toughness as Cube, thats why the comments that he's closer to 5'7" are ridiculous (no matter who makes them). ^_^

Looking forward for dlbalr's post about the cap situation...

So am I...I wish I had time to do a good one. Here's a quick cap update: Markov not on LTIR, won't be anytime soon - gut feeling suggests O'Byrne may be headed there when Bergeron comes up (if Weber isn't assigned to Hamilton). Habs currently using bonus cushion (d'oh) to stay under the cap, are $600,000 over the cap before bonuses, cushioned cap space of just under $1 M. See link on main page for further calculations. :)

So am I...I wish I had time to do a good one. Here's a quick cap update: Markov not on LTIR, won't be anytime soon - gut feeling suggests O'Byrne may be headed there when Bergeron comes up (if Weber isn't assigned to Hamilton). Habs currently using bonus cushion (d'oh) to stay under the cap, are $600,000 over the cap before bonuses, cushioned cap space of just under $1 M. See link on main page for further calculations. :)

Is there a reason why Markov is not on LTIR. I thought he was eligible after 10 days or 10 games ? (not sure which. )

Is there a reason why Markov is not on LTIR. I thought he was eligible after 10 days or 10 games ? (not sure which. )

Simple. The higher the salary on LTIR, the harder it is to manage the cap when the player is healthy. i.e. The Flyers and Briere last season.

MAB cant come up soon enough.

:clap:

me too, I'm elevating him at the "superhero" expectation after yesterday's showdown

actually he can't do worse than that gang.

Our big 3 shall be Mara - Gorges - MAB

Mara and Gorges have been imo the "more-less-worst" (les plus moins pire!! translating an "untranstlateable" wrongful expression :D) of the gang.

They better use their bonus caution now, cuz no one is gonna reach their bonuses clauses :lol:

Simple. The higher the salary on LTIR, the harder it is to manage the cap when the player is healthy. i.e. The Flyers and Briere last season.

First, thank you. I don’t see the connection. It’s must be simple and I still don’t get it. Most likely a senior moment. I will give it more thought, perhaps it will come to me.

My thinking. Markov placed on LTIR whomever I brought up as a replacement must go down . Actually Chicago is facing the same problem with Hossa. However, they have 26 players signed. When Hossa comes back 3 players must go back down or trade. I don’t see how it gets complicated.

First, thank you. I don’t see the connection. It’s must be simple and I still don’t get it. Most likely a senior moment. I will give it more thought, perhaps it will come to me.

My thinking. Markov placed on LTIR whomever I brought up as a replacement must go down . Actually Chicago is facing the same problem with Hossa. However, they have 26 players signed. When Hossa comes back 3 players must go back down or trade. I don’t see how it gets complicated.

Your assessment's pretty bang on actually. If the Habs were to just use Weber as Markov's replacement, they'd be fine. The concern is that say the team wants to go bring in a $2 M d-man via the trade route. When Markov comes back, how are they getting rid of the $2 M guy? Until they clear out that much salary, Markov couldn't come back. That's what happened in Philly last year that ultimately led to the Habs picking up Metropolit.