Habs @ Oilers | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

That was our second best game of the year as a team. Calgary was the best. Bulin was awesome. Price was OK. Shoulda had the Commrie goal. I'm a little worried that he may be a little too mental for this game. I hope I'm wrong cuz the signs of a fantastic goalie are there. Gionta is awesome. He is so consistent on that puck. Paccioretty had a good game tonight. Chipchura does not look good out there. Plek needs a winger that cares. AK plays like he was sent down, not his little bro. Trade them as a package for another lunchbox top 6. I love Gio, Gomez and Cammeleri right now. They never give up. That is something I've only seen out of Koivu in the last 10 years, as far as top 6 guys on our team. I like the Weekes reference to Gionta. Something like put down your tape when you measure Gionta, because his heart is bigger than his body.

Hey Martin, way to bench Mara for sticking up for his team. WTF man! That was a high hit and was deserving of that response. From a distance it looked like an elbow, and that response is EXACTLY what I want to see when a player thinks his teammate was elbowed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kostitsyn WAS benched for the entire third period. That may be one reason for the slightly odd line matchups late in the game- we were missing one of our supposed 'top 6.'

And a good move by Martin it was. I LOVE the fact that the Country Club Canadiens is clearly being shut down by the new coach. If the team takes a night off: bag skate! If a player floats around out there: benched! :clap: It's painful and it may even costs us a win or two, stapling talented players to the bench, but you have to do it if you want to build a winning culture. It's up to Kosty to learn. Or bugger off like his pissy-faced punk of a brother.

One guy I do like on our D is Paul Mara. He seems to bring a solid all-around game and if he was benched that was indeed stupid. Still not seeing Spacek as the guy who got 45 points last season, though. Gill is getting a bad press and it's not wholly warranted. Yes, he was an odd choice to have out there at game's end. But I find people are zeroing in on his stumbles and not enough on the good plays he does make. Perhaps I'm too forgiving; never did play the 'whipping boy' game.

Speaking of which, Gomez is fun, and he'll put up points, but damn, he seems to lose a *lot* of battles along the boards. It really is just astonishing to me that anyone gave him $8 mil/year. Defies understanding.

Pacioretty had one great shift where he powered past the D and drove for the net. If he keeps doing THAT I may let up a bit on the 'habs can't develop young players' theme. But I've seen this movie - young player shows flashes now and then - 1000 times and I'm not betting on Pacioretty at this point...

That second period was demoralizing as hell. But in the first and third we actually outclassed Edmonton in every respect except goaltending (Price was good in the third, he seemed to calm down). A loss to build on...maybe?

Yet the team has soooo many holes. No second line. No fourth line. The disappearance of the Kostitsyns has really hurt our depth. So has the loss of Higgins. Il n'y a pas de releve!! Looks like we're gonna be riding The Big Three all season, for better or worse.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I am seriously worried about this team. We have a good first line. A third line that can be okay. Our 2nd line is useless. Our 4th line is brutal. Yes, it hurts that we are missing Markov, but I don't think Markov is enough to turn this team from losers to winners.

Lats, AK, Dags, Chips, etc... I just don't see them lighting up the NHL anytime soon. For all the depth on the farm, why can't we get one of these guys to be a real top 6 guy? Is it bad drafting? Bad development? Too much booze in Montreal?

I sure hope they get it together, but I don't think we have the horses...

I thought Pyatt had a great camp. I could see him on the fourth line. I miss Dandenault on the fourth.

I thought Pyatt had a great camp. I could see him on the fourth line. I miss Dandenault on the fourth.

Dandy would be a great addition. Eats fourth-line minutes efficiently. I have no faith in these kids anyway. Sign that sucker, Bob.

Metro needs to come back too. Metro Laraque and chipchura/Pyatt. I would send Stewart down if he can't pick it up. That just leaves a huge caping hole on both sides of Plex (who I might add has been our second best forward next to Gionta!) AK, SK, Lats, Maxpac... so many options, but none of the bastards will step up. Blechh

Metro needs to come back too. Metro Laraque and chipchura/Pyatt. I would send Stewart down if he can't pick it up. That just leaves a huge caping hole on both sides of Plex (who I might add has been our second best forward next to Gionta!) AK, SK, Lats, Maxpac... so many options, but none of the bastards will step up. Blechh

You said it, fellow BC soul brother! You said it. We are a mediocre developmental organization and now it really shows.

Hey Martin, way to bench Mara for sticking up for his team. WTF man! That was a high hit and was deserving of that response. From a distance it looked like an elbow, and that response is EXACTLY what I want to see when a player thinks his teammate was elbowed.

Umm, I think you mean the refs when you say Martin.

Ya I wasn't sure when his 10 minute expired but I thought Kevin Weekes said he was benched.

He was out in the third. He was on ice for 17 minutes, so he needed to start slowly in the 3rd.

Now why BGL is playing late in the game is beyond me.

If Andrei doesn't pick up his game soon, I wouldn't mind seeing him shipped out with his brother for a good package.

How soon is ' soon enough' for you. Noon today is Ok with me.

How sad is it, when we think Metropolit is the answer.

Generally speaking they didn't play that bad after the timeout. They were doing alot standing around, turning the puck over, not playing physical to start the game. They hung Price out several times early. They finished pretty strong, unfortunately The Gomez line continues to be the only line who reliably gets offense.

I'm sure they'll look better Thursday i beleive.