Shawn Belle called up

JLP

Happy to hear this :clap:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=501939

(and Weber sent down)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/frenc...article1322262/

Gordon in the G&M calls this "a perplexing move". I admit I was expecting Beregeron to be called up, but I really hope Belle can do well and start to show some of the talent that got him drafted in the first round.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/frenc...article1322262/

Gordon in the G&M calls this "a perplexing move". I admit I was expecting Beregeron to be called up, but I really hope Belle can do well and start to show some of the talent that got him drafted in the first round.

i have always had a good feeling about Belle, we'll see. Remember he was part of that tremendous Canadian World Junior team?

Belle is a carreer minor leaguer. Who cares what he did 5 years ago, there is a reason he has never stuck with a team or played many NHL games.

I agree it's a perplexing move, it's not like they have don't have enough big defensemen who can't move the puck.

My only guess is MA Bergeron isn't quit ready yet.

Bergeron is not ready, they want him to play a few AHL games this weekend to get into game shape. This is a short term stand in.

Right. What's so 'perplexing' about that? Typical media analysis. If the Habs were the Wings, they'd take the time actually to think through the logic of the move, but the narrative around the canadiens is 'franchise in never-ending chaos' so the 'experts' feel they don't have to bother.

Belle is a carreer minor leaguer. Who cares what he did 5 years ago, there is a reason he has never stuck with a team or played many NHL games.

Maybe so but he was a first-round pick and has some good experience and his +19 was second-best on the Dogs' D last season -- glad to see him get a chance he may surprise us, we could use a pleasant surprise no?

Maybe so but he was a first-round pick and has some good experience and his +19 was second-best on the Dogs' D last season -- glad to see him get a chance he may surprise us, we could use a pleasant surprise no?

Yeah agreed bro ^_^

What Janyk was the best in +/- if i remember. Yeah he was great.

Couple of question here

- Will Belle has to go throught waivers next week and loose hom for nothing ?

- How many tickets or fan base interest Belle impact will have on the first home game of the year ?

- Carle, i want a useless media rep to ask a simple question, why didnt you get the call ?

Yeah and my first question here about the 5 man system of Jacques Martin, when will we see puck support

in offensive zone 5-5 from any D ?? 28th in the league.

Shouldn't be that hard to understand. Bergeron isn't ready to play, Weber needs to more time in Hamilton, and Belle is the cheapest option to call up. They were already dipping into their bonus cushion while Weber was up and since it was clear he needed more time in Hamilton, it makes sense to call up the cheaper Belle. The team obviously feels Weber is ahead of Carle, so if Weber wasn't working out, they have no reason to try bringing up Carle, once again dipping into the bonus cushion.

Right. What's so 'perplexing' about that? Typical media analysis. If the Habs were the Wings, they'd take the time actually to think through the logic of the move, but the narrative around the canadiens is 'franchise in never-ending chaos' so the 'experts' feel they don't have to bother.

Actually Gordon's blog is usually quite an entertaining and balanced read. He does have a severe man-crush on PK Subban thought. You should give him a look, you might enjoy it. I am just happy and amazed to see good coverage of the habs in the globe and mail

More info on Belle courtesy of the G&M

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/frenc...article1323443/

Pretty sad when I get more, and more current , habs news from the globe and mail than from the Gazette?

What has happened to what was once my favourite newspaper :huh:

Just a thought for the fans who paid a little extra to get their seats.

Those people will not have an extra cushion to see a team who wants

to save a bonus cushion wich is never used by the way, usually it goes

to the owner or it's management bonus.

Who care's about the fans anyway. This management doesn't even respect their season

tickets holders. Always digging more money and unhappy one can leave there is always

another fool who will buy some. Other markets don't have this luxury but in MTL they sure use

it.

Who care's about the fans anyway. This management doesn't even respect their season

tickets holders. Always digging more money and unhappy one can leave there is always

another fool who will buy some. Other markets don't have this luxury but in MTL they sure use

it.

What?

Belle will be paired with Mara. Phew, glad he's not with Gill.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/22452

I hope the move is because Bergeron is not ready and not because we need to save an extra 1000$

I'm sure that it's both reasons.

it.

I think you misunderstand the whole bonus cushion thing. The owner or management isn't making or losing money on it. Bonus money for player contracts count against the cap until the bonus cannot be reached (i.e. Price's average salary is only 850,000, but his cap hit is 2.2 million because of bonus money). If a team needs to, they can defer the bonus money to the next year's cap hit. Thus, as long as we're using the cushion this season, we're losing that much off our cap next season.

What?

Sorry Huz my head caught in too much smoke. :wacko:

The point is that the habs raised season tickets and have to do

everything possible to give a show to the people who are paying

for their profits.

If it doesn't p*ssed people to see them saving for a cushion instead

of giving a chance to a drafted player who can play for the next 10 years,

ot to give a glimpse of hope and send Subban and let him free on the ice, no

restriction.

No we have Belle and satisfied with that, i am not.

I havent had an opportunity to see much of Belle, so I'm not sure what he is like defensively, but I know from his info he is definitely solid. He's 6' 1" 240 lbs so he could be stronger than BGL. :blink:

Hopefully Belle can capitalize on his callup and show us some good signs. I would definitely like to see something positive from him, with his size/strength he could be very useful if he's not a defensive liability.

I havent had an opportunity to see much of Belle, so I'm not sure what he is like defensively, but I know from his info he is definitely solid. He's 6' 1" 240 lbs so he could be stronger than BGL. :blink:

Nah, it's all beer belly.

Hopefully Belle can capitalize on his callup and show us some good signs. I would definitely like to see something positive from him, with his size/strength he could be very useful if he's not a defensive liability.

Been drafted the same year as Andrei Kostitsyn, so he's still young, but time is running short for him to show he deserved the 1st round label. Haven't showed much progress since he hit the pros in 2005.

Nah, it's all beer belly.

Hahaha, thats funny, and MAB is 5'7". ^_^

Belle is definitely ripped, one of the announcers commented aboot how muscular Bell is when he saw Belle with his shirt off in the dressing room during one of the preseason games Belle was in.

2006-07 Minnesota NHL 9 0 1 1 +4 0 3 .00

It seems Belle has only played in 9 NHL games so far. Belle is only 24 so I dont think his NHL boat has sailed quite yet, but your right he needs to show progress and not play his way off the Habs for him to stick around. Hopefully he can surprise us all. 24 isnt that old for a dman, but he should start playing in the NHL more regularly if he will ever make it full time.

I wish him luck, hopefully he plays his one or two games with positiive numbers..

And I will insist, until Markov is back, and because the bottom 3 lines are erratic at best.... DRESS 7 Dmen, Play MAB on the fourth line (5-7 min icetime)

then put him on when facing the opponents 3rd and 4th lines and of course on the PP(5-7 min more). that way we don't have SPacek and co doing more than 22 min a game Hammer and Spacek cannot play more than 20 min without a MArkov beside them ... its the painful truth!

Time for some good luck in Montreal. I'd like to see Belle finally live up to his potential and shock all comers. Force comeone else out of the lineup. Give the Habs an enviable position from which to deal. We've been dealt enough bad karma. Time for the good.