Quebec - Anglo Schools Ruling

nhfarber

I don't live in Quebec but as a politico I'm extremely interested in hearing the thoughts of quebec residents on today's ruling making it necessary for the province to provide residents access to english language schools.

Eric Engels seems to think it will have a positive affect on potential UFA signings in Montreal in the future.

I'm not from Quebec.

However, from the perspective of the Habs, okay, that's great. I do have a concern about the potential impact such a law will have on the culture in Quebec. If a law like this is going to be passed, I think there needs to be something that balances it out. More money for cultural programs, for instance. For every $ that the Q-gov has to pay to ensure access to English schooling, they are provided an equivalent amount which will then be directed towards cultural programs specific to Quebecois and its maintenance.

While it's a very powerful decision, it's also one with is fraught with potential pitfalls.

Wow, can't believe that finally changed.

IMO, if this is going to work good then English schools have to at least have proper French classes for the children to learn. I know some kids who went to English school all their lives in Montreal that can't even say a complete sentence in French.

Wow, can't believe that finally changed.

IMO, if this is going to work good then English schools have to at least have proper French classes for the children to learn. I know some kids who went to English school all their lives in Montreal that can't even say a complete sentence in French.

I'm one of those kids!!!

I'd have to read the ruling to form an opinion. Language laws are so complicated. You have the Article 23 in the Canadian Constitution but 1000 jurisprudence rulings that changed the application; then you have the Bill 101 and 1000 more rulings, and then Bill 78, etc.

What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that Trudeau's utopia about a bilingual country coast-to-coast is a failure. Can't and never could have worked. Symetrical rights for asymetrical language groups doesnt work when immigration is taken into account. Because you know it's all gonna go one way.

I'm torn on the subject.

On one hand I think it's important than the immigrants learn french, on the other hand I think you should have the freedom to choose the language of your education.

One think I dont like tough is how bill 101 is made to be some sort of holy cow that cant ever be criticised. Even liberals are guilty of this.

I'm torn on the subject.

On one hand I think it's important than the immigrants learn french, on the other hand I think you should have the freedom to choose the language of your education.

It's not really "freedom" to chose your language of education. You're limited to English of French, where the demographic justifies it. If it was real freedom, you'd see, say, Chinese communities out there who could ask for Cantonese public schools. Or any other small community who could ask for it.

One think I dont like tough is how bill 101 is made to be some sort of holy cow that cant ever be criticised. Even liberals are guilty of this.

That's because, despite the protestations it received early on, in hindsight Bill 101 basically worked. In political science and sociology there's the term "Generation 101" that refers to all the immigrant kids to whom Bill 101 applied in the late 70's & 80's. Now those kids are on the work market, almost all at least trilingual and a very good asset in a global economy. They're also almost all in Montreal and around. :P And who votes for Liberals? The Montreal multilingual communities.

It's not really "freedom" to chose your language of education. You're limited to English of French, where the demographic justifies it. If it was real freedom, you'd see, say, Chinese communities out there who could ask for Cantonese public schools. Or any other small community who could ask for it.

That's because, despite the protestations it received early on, in hindsight Bill 101 basically worked. In political science and sociology there's the term "Generation 101" that refers to all the immigrant kids to whom Bill 101 applied in the late 70's & 80's. Now those kids are on the work market, almost all at least trilingual and a very good asset in a global economy. They're also almost all in Montreal and around. :P And who votes for Liberals? The Montreal multilingual communities.

Koz, there are schools all over Canada that teach in a variety of languages...they are obviously private schools and they are open to anyone who wants to pay to send their kids there.

In a bilingual country an immigrant should have the freedom to send their kids to an english, french or immersion school...they have this choice in every province EXCEPT Quebec.

It's incredibly amusing to peer into Quebec and see the thinly veiled intolerance to anything that isn't Quebecois. It's NOT amusing that Quebec has allowed such intolerance to creep into their legislation. Just my .02.

To listen to people defend these laws as a defense of culture is lunacy. Just walk into any major city and you'll see immigrant areas where english AND french are rarely spoken. Jebus, even Toronto has a segregated black school which was DEMANDED by their community. Not to mention the large number of East Indian and Chinese schools around the city.

People don't need laws to maintain a culture and language...they need a WILL to make it happen.

Koz, there are schools all over Canada that teach in a variety of languages...they are obviously private schools and they are open to anyone who wants to pay to send their kids there.

In a bilingual country an immigrant should have the freedom to send their kids to an english, french or immersion school...they have this choice in every province EXCEPT Quebec.

It's incredibly amusing to peer into Quebec and see the thinly veiled intolerance to anything that isn't Quebecois. It's NOT amusing that Quebec has allowed such intolerance to creep into their legislation. Just my .02.

To listen to people defend these laws as a defense of culture is lunacy. Just walk into any major city and you'll see immigrant areas where english AND french are rarely spoken. Jebus, even Toronto has a segregated black school which was DEMANDED by their community. Not to mention the large number of East Indian and Chinese schools around the city.

People don't need laws to maintain a culture and language...they need a WILL to make it happen.

That is exactly why Bill 101 is needed. Projected intolerance and reactionary demagogy disguised as righteous classic liberalism. "Oh, shame on you for taking necessary measures to survive! How dare you not leave yourself vulnerable for assimilation like all the other French communities outside Quebec!" Lord Durham lives.

The ultimate form of WILL is LAW. Bill 101 is the WILL of Quebec to protect it's language.

Nicely said, it doesn't worth more than 0.02$ for sure...

Edited by JoeLassister

Good post

I'm a francophone immigrant myself.

My nephew was born here in Montreal; he is going to a Francophone school, but he is gonna learn English well.

His parents realize the importance of being bilingual in Canada.

And, interesting story: a few months ago, I hired a Chinese guy from Toronto; he is an immigrant, and his 10 year old son was born in Toronto, so he is 100% Anglophone.

When I asked what his motivation to relocate to Montreal was, he told me that he would be doing it for his son, who wants to be bilingual ; he son once told him: " Dad, I'm Canadian, so I have to speak French as well " :blink: Remember, the kid is 10.

Edited by rafikz