Hal Gill

platypus

Hal Gill is comparatively slow there is no doubt. But his size brings a needed dimension to the defense. Is there no way via a concerted physical training program to improve him on that front? If part of an athlete is training, and no one has ever scientifically tried to augment him in this regard, who is to say he couldn't improve his skating 20 or 30%?

A skating trainer would need to first ascertain why he is so slow - slow acceleration? stride that causes too much drag? leg muscles not strong enough? bad balance? Would figure skates help him to find his centre of gravity?

Yes, it's comedic in a way, but the size of the guy leaves me wanting more out of him.

Gill isn't slow, but the fact that he's 6`7" tall make shim look even more slow. Once he gets his stride, Gill can keep up with the average NHLer.

Also, when Markov and O'Byrne will come back, Gill will play 15 minutes per game(mostly on the PK) and that will make him look better. He shouldn't be playing 20 minutes a game, but we have no choice to play him that much because of the previously mentionned injuries!

I wish Gill would lose his job to O'Byrne by trade deadline. Dunno Habsfan, but IMO, Gill IS slow. And very slow. I think he's actualy the slowest player i've seen in the last 4-5 seasons with the Habs.

He is slow accelerating and he's also slow to take a decision with the puck.

Gill hasn't turned the puck over a lot lately

Coaches must have worked with him.

Regarding his skating, well, he IS slow

Still I've seen him making quicker decisions, a sign the team strategy is becoming second nature to him, so to this untrained eye he looks faster, i.e; if he's near or behind the hashmarks, he doesnt get beaten to the pucks as much as before.. Just my observations of late

Edited by CoRvInA

Gill is over-criticized in my opinion. Yes, he makes awful, cloddish plays here and there, but there are a lot of plays that he makes while looking clumsy. I think people confuse the difference between an awkward-but-acceptable play and a downright blown play. He also does what is supposed to do, namely clear the crease and rub guys out.

No one, except a rank amateur, is going to get better at 34. His improved play of late is probably a combination of improved chemistry with his linemates, better support from the forwards, and perhaps getting fully into the groove of a new season.

Like many grizzled veterans, he will save his best for the playoffs, so we'd be stupid to move him at the deadline, unless it's a sheer cap move.

The guy is the slowest playing in the league!

He is good around the net and pushing people off the puck.

He is faster than Laraque.

Anyways when Gill is on the opposition get very few shots from good scoring chances.

Sure he is clumsy sometimes but I am actually not upset with him, he is better than Bouillon or Breezer.

And he is very good on the Pk.

I'm not a huge Hal Gill fan but I'm not throwing the guy under the bus yet. I didn't like the signing but the guy has one major flaw and it's his skating. He plays so simple and so effective. That's the problem, he has some flaws but has no pizazz to detract those flaws because he plays such a simple and effective game. He just uses his reach to get the puck and uses his body effectively to stop guys. If he threw out more hits, we wouldn't be having this discussion cause we would all be saying "we'll he's a big physical d-man, so what if he's slow, we pair him up with someone who can complement him."

Edited by Tony

I'm not a huge Hal Gill fan but I'm not throwing the guy under the bus yet. I didn't like the signing but the guy has one major flaw and it's his skating. He plays so simple and so effective. That's the problem, he has some flaws but has no pizazz to detract those flaws because he plays such a simple and effective game. He just uses his reach to get the puck and uses his body effectively to stop guys. If he threw out more hits, we wouldn't be having this discussion cause we would all be saying "we'll he's a big physical d-man, so what if he's slow, we pair him up with someone who can complement him."

He can not throw those hits though because he does not like to be out of position.

Gill is over-criticized in my opinion. Yes, he makes awful, cloddish plays here and there, but there are a lot of plays that he makes while looking clumsy. I think people confuse the difference between an awkward-but-acceptable play and a downright blown play. He also does what is supposed to do, namely clear the crease and rub guys out.

No one, except a rank amateur, is going to get better at 34. His improved play of late is probably a combination of improved chemistry with his linemates, better support from the forwards, and perhaps getting fully into the groove of a new season.

Like many grizzled veterans, he will save his best for the playoffs, so we'd be stupid to move him at the deadline, unless it's a sheer cap move.

You see the situation exactly like me. I mean, he does a lot better than the would-be experts have been saying all along. Don't forget that he was a regular with the Penguins last year; he performed well enough for the Cup's winner, he should be be good for the Habs.

Some says that he looked good because he had a fine partner with Scuderi. All right, now he has Georges and slowly they get to know together and, as a consequence, better position themselves and predict what will be their next moves. Same thing with the other guys on the ice.

Let's be patient with Hill. Obviously the coaches like him. They give him a lot of ice time and he plays in critical situations. Of course, when O'Byrne and Markov will be back, there's a possibility that his ice time will diminish, but it's not sure either. I don't wish for it, but we could have other injured defensemen in the line up.

A possibility could be dressing 7 defencemen when Markov returns... using Gill (penalty kill) and Bergeron (power play) as special teams d-men with some extra additional minutes.

I rather like this scenario. Guys like Spacek and Hamrlik are playing too many minutes right now - not that they can't handle it, but at their ages injuries are a concern. A strong 7-D committee will offer systematic relief for aging bodies leading up to the playoffs.

The addition of Bergeron was brilliant, it will give us really solid NHL-quality depth if and when our injured guys come back.

He can not throw those hits though because he does not like to be out of position.

Agreed, that's the main misconception. People assume because of his size that he HAS to throw hits all the time but it's not his style of play.

As for who's going to get benched when Markov and O'Byrne come back, I'm not exactly worried about that. With the current defense group, it would be much wise to let O'Byrne and Markov both rest up and only come to play when they are 100% each since the Habs have a nice opportunity to ensure these guys come back stronger than ever on the ice. By the time the team does ice a full defensive unit, things might have changed via trades or injuries so it's not exactly worth scrambling our heads for right now.

Edited by Tony

useles thread at his age and experience let us not be sending him to a figure skating coach. he is what he is deal with it . I don't think he is that bad considering what he is being asked to do.

Gill IS slow. And very slow. I think he's actualy the slowest player i've seen in the last 4-5 seasons with the Habs.

are you talkin' Dagenais slow?

I wish Gill would lose his job to O'Byrne by trade deadline. Dunno Habsfan, but IMO, Gill IS slow. And very slow. I think he's actualy the slowest player i've seen in the last 4-5 seasons with the Habs.

He is slow accelerating and he's also slow to take a decision with the puck.

OK, he is slow, but i find that he's been playing well lately (last 4 games).

OK, he is slow, but i find that he's been playing well lately (last 4 games).

Let's say he's been playing better... And let's not forget that we faced the Thrashers and the Islandes twice... But he was also correct against the NYR, I'll give yout that.

Edited by JoeLassister

Let's say he's been playing better... And let's not forget that we faced the Thrashers and the Islandes twice... But he was also correct against the NYR, I'll give yout that.

Oh Stop, you're too kind!!! ;):D;):P;)

are you talkin' Dagenais slow?

No, no.

He makes Dags look like an Olympic speed skater. No kidding. Think "lumbering" then add a dose of "painful" and then pick and choose from "turtle, snail, sloth, slug, rock" and you start to get the idea. Don't get me wrong, pleased enough with his play thus far, but we couldn't call this the fastest game on ice if he were on the cover.