Dump Meter: Andrei Kostitsyn

KoZed

Dump Meter: Andrei Kostitsyn  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you want to see Andrei Kostitsyn gone?

• I want him gone YESTERDAY!
    • NOW
    • In a very near future (months)
    • Wait the season out.
    • Keep him a couple more seasons
    • NEVER!

He's an enigma for sure. On one play tonight he literally channeled Kovalev, skating all the way around the perimeter, looking kind of dangerous, only to loop all the way back around to the blueline and lose the puck along the boards. I had visions of Kovalev's usual shifts last season. I wonder if this guy really was damaged by studying at the feet of the AK-27? :wacko:

I would give Martin time to work on him. He may eventually begin to clue in as to what is expected and how to succeed. We need to remember that a guy like him may not have had much effective coaching during his NHL career (the Carbo factor) and may have suffered from emulating bad examples (the Kovy factor). But he's young and it might not be too late to rebuild him. Hopefully Martin thinks likewise, he'd be a nice 'project' for our coach.

So I'd be in no rush to move him just yet...unless Martin gives up on him.

At least 1 more year. I agree that we gotta give Martin some time to face the character and learn how to use him well.

BUT, if the right deal comes, jump on it. But not another Ribeiro, if you know what I mean Bob...

I honestly dont know what to think of Kosty anymore. Like Colin said, he looks really out of place with the type of team we're building. The fact that at the Opener he was the only one to not say "Je suis..." before naming himself is starting to look allegoric.

What's more worrying in his case is that he doesnt even look like he wants the puck. He's getting rid of it as soon as it touches his stick. Compare that with Lats, Dago, Chips: they want the puck, if they miss, they still want the puck the next shift and try again. Kosty was a competitor and game-breaker in juniors and in Hamilton. What happened so that he looks so jaded?

I wouldnt trade him until Martin has exhausted all available means at his disposal, including scratching him.

I work with many people that my company recruited from other counries. One East Indian that I work with is extremely smart and proud. One day my boss asked us if we had enough hydrogen pressure to continue running the refinery. I said we had just enough to "Get by." Later that day I was surfing the net and googled something that started with "G" the first thing that popped up was "get by, meaning slang". He had no idea what I had said. I understand that comunication may not even be close to the problem, but I tend to cut a guy some slack when it comes to learning in a place where he doesn't know the language.

Having said that, this may have nothing to do with the his slow starts. If a "GOOD" deal came along, they may want to consider trading him. If not, hope and pray that he figures it out.

Call up the younger bro, put them on a line together with Plekanec or even Metropolit. If there's an offensive explosion, we've solved both their cases.

Worth a shot? That's Bob's call.

Call up the younger bro, put them on a line together with Plekanec or even Metropolit. If there's an offensive explosion, we've solved both their cases.

Worth a shot? That's Bob's call.

So you scratch a deserving player to dress the Little Shittytsin just to please the lazy Big Shittytsin? You do that and you'll piss off the entire roster.

Neither his value nor his brother's is that great right now, so we probably wouldn't get fair value in trade. Plus with either of them it's not the talent that's the problem, and those are the types of players that can really come back and burn you if you give up on them too early.

At least get them to the point where they're playing and contributing so you can get fair value in return.......though as I'd said in the Sergei theread, I'd prefer to keep them and have them get it together HERE as opposed to elsewhere.

At least get them to the point where they're playing and contributing so you can get fair value in return.......though as I'd said in the Sergei theread, I'd prefer to keep them and have them get it together HERE as opposed to elsewhere.

Agreed! Andrei is loaded with Talent, and I don't think we can give up on him too early. As the years go by, and his english speaking skills improve, he will be more confortable, and hopefully, his confidence will increase. You can clearly tell that his confidence is shot right now. AK46 started monday's game really well, his confidence went down the toilet after missing a few shots...he ended on a low note.

AK46 is only 24 years old. I'd rather be patient with him, and hope that he explodes in the near future rather than trading him for a bag of pucks (cause that's what we would get for him right now) and risk seeing him do well with someone else in 18 months!

Hoo boy, you should hear Andrei's cranky replies to reporters on the audio to Habs Inside/Out:

http://habsinsideout.com/main/23535#comments

He's CLEARLY unhappy, and seems to blame his low production on lack of ice time. The resentment is obvious...what's unclear is how he will channel it. Will he be a man, do what the coaches ask, and work his way out of this funk; or will he fold his tent and sulk? My money is on the latter. Hope I'm wrong.

Hoo boy, you should hear Andrei's cranky replies to reporters on the audio to Habs Inside/Out:

http://habsinsideout.com/main/23535#comments

He's CLEARLY unhappy, and seems to blame his low production on lack of ice time. The resentment is obvious...what's unclear is how he will channel it. Will he be a man, do what the coaches ask, and work his way out of this funk; or will he fold his tent and sulk? My money is on the latter. Hope I'm wrong.

Reporter: What's the difference between your game last year and your game this year?

Andrei: Last year, I played 16-17 minutes.

:o:lol:

Reporter: What's the difference between your game last year and your game this year?

Oh, those Kostitsyn brothers... time to man the eff up and work your way back to earning those minutes.

lol No difference in his game. He still sucked last season. This guy has all the talent to get 35+ goals and yet he languishes like a poor man's Kovalev.

That said, sometimes the best way to get someone out of a funk is to make him play, lots. Remember Kovalev's 8 minute shift under Iron Mike? Yeah. Maybe that's what Kosty needs. Perhaps not that extreme, but if all that's fundamentally lacking is the confidence (because sometimes confidence and the lack thereof really kills your work ethic) then keep him on the top line for a month and play him out of it. He's got the skills to make something happen, perhaps he just needs to play with guys like Gionta and Gomez (who'll kick his ass to get it going - hey, maybe Gomer will knife him too!!!) and he'll finally find his way.

There was talk (was it this thread) comparing Lats and Kosty. In some ways I agree. But in the end, Kosty has massive potential and while Lats will certainly be a strong league presence, he doesn't have the upper echelon skill that Kosty displays (when he wants). In fact, as I see things these days, I'm wondering if MaxPax has a higher upper end than does Lats. Good news, IMO, because if we can get a third line PF like Lats producing regularly with 15 min of ice time and a 2nd/1st line PF in MaxPax producing regularly, we can hit and grind the opposition to death. There's no rule in the NHL limiting HG. 90 second shifts of power hockey, baby.

lol No difference in his game. He still sucked last season. This guy has all the talent to get 35+ goals and yet he languishes like a poor man's Kovalev.

That said, sometimes the best way to get someone out of a funk is to make him play, lots. Remember Kovalev's 8 minute shift under Iron Mike? Yeah. Maybe that's what Kosty needs. Perhaps not that extreme, but if all that's fundamentally lacking is the confidence (because sometimes confidence and the lack thereof really kills your work ethic) then keep him on the top line for a month and play him out of it. He's got the skills to make something happen, perhaps he just needs to play with guys like Gionta and Gomez (who'll kick his ass to get it going - hey, maybe Gomer will knife him too!!!) and he'll finally find his way.

There was talk (was it this thread) comparing Lats and Kosty. In some ways I agree. But in the end, Kosty has massive potential and while Lats will certainly be a strong league presence, he doesn't have the upper echelon skill that Kosty displays (when he wants). In fact, as I see things these days, I'm wondering if MaxPax has a higher upper end than does Lats. Good news, IMO, because if we can get a third line PF like Lats producing regularly with 15 min of ice time and a 2nd/1st line PF in MaxPax producing regularly, we can hit and grind the opposition to death. There's no rule in the NHL limiting HG. 90 second shifts of power hockey, baby.

I like your assessment. You're bang-on that last years' production was unacceptable for a player with Kostitsyn's elite level skills, so that entire way of framing it - 'why aren't you playing as well as you did last season?' - is wrong. Equally wrong is Kosty's acceptance of the premise that he did fine last year, although I can't really blame him for not slagging himself in front of reporters.

The question is: what's eating Kostitsyn? Is it simply confidence? Or is it a combination of poor work ethic/intensity, coupled with a coach who (finally!) absolutely insists on these from his players and thus refuses to accept Kostityn's old pattern of one or two hard-working shifts per night? If it's the former, then I feel for the guy. If it's the latter, then it's another case of a young punk who needs to man up and figure out what it takes. Could be that Martin is putting him in the situation in which the Savard regime put Markov, or Torterlla put Lecavalier, demanding that he play up to his potential, and in the process either making or breaking the player.

I would keep him on the top 2 lines. What's the point of using Kostitsyn 7 minutes a game? Are we waiting for him to score a hat trick in those 7 minutes and thereby "prove" that he deserves more ice time? It isn't going to happen.

I'd say that Pac-Max does have more potential than Lats (I think Timmins even said so himself). That being said - I want Pacioretty in the AHL!

I like your assessment. You're bang-on that last years' production was unacceptable for a player with Kostitsyn's elite level skills, so that entire way of framing it - 'why aren't you playing as well as you did last season?' - is wrong. Equally wrong is Kosty's acceptance of the premise that he did fine last year, although I can't really blame him for not slagging himself in front of reporters.

The question is: what's eating Kostitsyn? Is it simply confidence? Or is it a combination of poor work ethic/intensity, coupled with a coach who (finally!) absolutely insists on these from his players and thus refuses to accept Kostityn's old pattern of one or two hard-working shifts per night? If it's the former, then I feel for the guy. If it's the latter, then it's another case of a young punk who needs to man up and figure out what it takes. Could be that Martin is putting him in the situation in which the Savard regime put Markov, or Torterlla put Lecavalier, demanding that he play up to his potential, and in the process either making or breaking the player.

I don't think his play was unacceptable last season. All the young players regressed while Kosty merely stagnated. I WISH Kosty could continue to be a 25-25 player. He can be a lot more - but 25-25 is at least enough to give us a second threatening line.

I would keep him on the top 2 lines. What's the point of using Kostitsyn 7 minutes a game? Are we waiting for him to score a hat trick in those 7 minutes and thereby "prove" that he deserves more ice time? It isn't going to happen.

I'd say that Pac-Max does have more potential than Lats (I think Timmins even said so himself). That being said - I want Pacioretty in the AHL!

Why would you want Patches in the AHL when he's progressing every game and is on the up-swing? 

I don't think his play was unacceptable last season. All the young players regressed while Kosty merely stagnated. I WISH Kosty could continue to be a 25-25 player. He can be a lot more - but 25-25 is at least enough to give us a second threatening line.

"Unacceptable" might have been too strong...but he did regress somewhat last season. (I know his stats were not that far off the previous year, but I'm talking about on-ice impact). The main point is, that performance should not be the benchmark for him. It's taking it as such that's "unacceptable" IMHO.

Why would you want Patches in the AHL when he's progressing every game and is on the up-swing? 

He's trying to get no talent on the ice. Kinda like the HWL Flyers.