MLB

Trizzak

i try not to put much stock in the april, especially for pitchers. Dave Wells is better than 9.00 or whatever, Zito is better is better than 11, smoltz has already shown that he is better than the 10+ era he was sporting at the beginning. Zito probably would have been the third man behind mulder and hudson but I would still be happy to have him as the 2nd man on my squad.

I doubt he'll ever come close to his Cy Young season. I like the guy, and follow him fairly closely. He was decent 2 years ago, and wasn't very good last year. Of course he won't have an 11 ERA, but I won't be surprised if it's near 5 all season.

The Jays are off to an amazing start! Hinske isn't sucking at first. There's an excellent balance between power and speed. And the bullpen is much improved (though not great.)

Now if they could only do something with the paper thin starting rotation, The Jays might actually contend!

The Red Sox and Yankees, two examples of what is wrong with baseball. Everyone bitches about the Yankees as the "Evil Empire." I agree completely, but now that the curse is gone, there is no reason to ignore the fact that the Red Sox are just as evil.

Both simply buy the best players because they have the most money.

Red Sox has a payroll $75 mil less than the Yankees. By your barometer almost every team in baseball is evil because they spend what they can on their teams. If the indians had a better TV contract they would have a bigger payroll as well. I tend to believe in capitalism, I like free markets.

I dont like the yankees because Im a red sox fan, they're astronomical payroll is annoying but it is not my main beef. I dont like the maple leafs either, but not because of their payroll. Would you prefer that steinbrenner pocketed another $150 mil per year and fielded a team equivilant to the devil rays? I for one like to see the people that make the product earn the money, whether it is at GM, GE, Bombardier, Red Sox, Yankees, or Intel. I shouldnt begrudge somebody their share of the free market pie just because I prefer watching the Red Sox to an assembly line.

It's not fair to the other teams. How can a team expect to compete without being rich. Look at the A's, they have a low payroll, and had to get rid of Tejada, Giambi, Mulder, Hudson, and more because they couldn't afford them anymore. Give money to charity, to people who really need it, not to men playing a game.

Anyway, Tampa Bay has a veyr fun, young team. Crawford, Huff, Kazmir, Gathright, etc.

i would definitely support true revenue sharing in baseball, but I think its a bit of unrealistic social engineering to have the yankees give their profits to charity.

I too enjoy watching the devil rays, but they arent going to the playoffs.

I was just kidding around about the charity, though the world would be a better place if they did.

Baseball player salaries are out of control. Some teams can afford it, but paying a guy 10-25 million dollars to play a game is simply ridiculous.

I normally don't like caps, but baseball needs one. Salaries are out of control.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Baseball player salaries are out of control.  Some teams can afford it, but paying a guy 10-25 million dollars to play a game is simply ridiculous.  .

Ah, but he creates the income for the owner...without the stars, they get no gates, no TV audiences, nothing.

If people are 50k fans are willing ot shell out that much for those tickets 162+ games per year, the players deserve a share.

• 1 month later...

*le bump*

Lilly makes me want to break things.

He rushes his way out of Spring Training, has one spectacular outing and then proceeds to blunder###### his way through every game he has been in. Maybe his injury is still nagging him. But he really needs to spend some time in AAA working out some problems, or he at least needs to step aside and let someone else have his spot in his rotation for a couple weeks while he works it all out.

Lilly is currently a liability.

You may soon get your wish about Lilly. A few days ago, the Jays brought up Scott Downs, a lefty out of AAA Syracuse. (Expo fans may remember him playing there last season.) Gibbons says it's to give Schoenweis some time off in the pen, but if you read between the lines, that's not why at all.

I expect Lilly will have one more start, and if he chokes again, I'd guess he'd be sent to the bullpen and Downs will join the rotation. That'd give Lilly a little more time to recover, as he is obviously not 100%.

There's no way he's going to AAA though, if the Jays try to send him, he'll do like Greg Myers and opt into free agency.

Speaking of should-be lineup changes, why does Gibbons continue to use the barely .100 Huckaby at C? I know Zaun is hurt, but why not give Andy Dominique a chance, what's the worst he's going to do, strike out like Huck does? (Quiroz is hurt by the way, out for the season; and that's why he's not up.)

[Edited on 2005/5/16 by dlbalr]

I hardly expect them to use Downs in the rotation. I'd rather they move Walker down for a start or two first. But yes, Lilly in the pen will be wonderful. Less work to do, more time to recover.

Andy Dominique is somewhere around 5th on the depth chart for catchers. He would get his ass handed to him in a game. At least Huckaby is defensively sound. Maybe if the Jays blow out a team (hahahahaha) they can bring him in to get his feet wet.

Hey guys, i just got back from a band trip to Cleveland and our entire band went to the ballgame on the Sunday. If you guys heard any screams during the game for the Blue Jays, it was most likely us. I brought a big Canadian flag to the game and everytime the jays did something good i stood up and yelled while waving the flag. At the end of the game i was booed by the entire section as i was leaving. A bunch of the Indians fans were chirping at us the whole game but it was all in good fun.

I did manage to get Eric Hinske and John Macdonald to sign the flag. Hinske was a little reluctant saying "Dude, I'm American", but Macdonald was great about it and we joked about how he shares his name with our first prime minister.

Jacobs field is one helluva a ballpark to watch a game at though, i really wish Toronto had one of those but oh well.

• 6 months later...

Bump

Jays are making some serious moves.

Along with the aforementioned (in another thread) BJ Ryan and AJ Burnett signings, they recently traded for Lyle Overbay who adds some much needed power to their lineup. Unfortunately, they gave up some young arms in the process; Gabe Gross (OF), Dave Bush, and Zach Jackson.

Plus JP is threatening to make one more trade for a bat, which would make sense since they have 4 corner infielders - Koskie, Hillenbrand, Hinske, and Overbay.

Hinske gone? *prays it will be so*